41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep it

18 43.90%
  • Bin it

17 41.46%
  • Don't care

6 14.63%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Mae Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau sang at City games?

Thoughts on Mae Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau sang at City games?

I personally think it's a bit pointless considering we only have one Welsh player in the entire squad.

Re: Thoughts on Mae Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau sang at City games?

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    I personally think it's a bit pointless considering we only have one Welsh player in the entire squad.
    But we're a Welsh football club, from the Welsh capital, where the vast majority of our fan base is Welsh. The players know that, to an extent, they're adopted Welshmen when they put on the Cardiff shirt. They represent Cardiff, the capital of Wales.

Based on your logic, there would be no point singing anything that could be perceived as Welsh.

Well, we're a welsh club with welsh fans, so I suppose that's why it's sung. I'd bomb it, in fact I wouldn't have national anthems at football matches-what's the point?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    But we're a Welsh football club, from the Welsh capital, where the vast majority of our fan base is Welsh. The players know that, to an extent, they're adopted Welshmen when they put on the Cardiff shirt. They represent Cardiff, the capital of Wales.

Based on your logic, there would be no point singing anything that could be perceived as Welsh.
    On the same logic, I always cringe at the anti-English songs, when most of our squad is English.

Maybe I'm in a minority, just thought I'd put it out there.

On the same logic, I always cringe at the anti-English songs, when most of our squad is English.

I'm happy to join you in the minority. Love the anthem being sung though.

I don't like it personally. I think we only do it because Wales do it. Would like more Cardiff specific songs.

Depends how it's done. I have never felt like it was a "we're better than you" or "we're here to wind you up" thing with Wales but that's how GSTQ comes across from away fans with City. It's never done at home matches, is it?

It's not pointless (we're a Welsh club) but our anthem is about pride in our culture/country and if, if, it's been used instead as a cheeky dig then I don't like it.

Men of Harlech words being sung is fantastic.

I've done gigs with bands in Swansea. Remember doing one once with a ska band for a scooter club, who soon realised that most of the band were Cardiff fans and provided banter all night. Took me ages to peel Swansea City badges off my keyboard. Did I give a shit? Nah. Great night was had by all.

Spot on there Eric!! It sounded great booming out across Stamford Bridge watching it on TV. it's a pretty unique song too, as only two other league teams can sing it. Long may it continue to be sung by City fans

I don't like it being sung either

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Spot on there Eric!! It sounded great booming out across Stamford Bridge watching it on TV. it's a pretty unique song too, as only two other league teams can sing it. Long may it continue to be sung by City fans
    To be honest, I'm not sure about singing it. I just thought the reason given for not singing it (virtually no Welsh players play for us) was feeble.

To be honest, I'm not sure about singing it. I just thought the reason given for not singing it (virtually no Welsh players play for us) was feeble.
    I think it’s ridiculous at a club match. Also the fact that we’ve got more Ingerlish players than a lot of Ingerlish clubs. That said, most of the senior, more erudite on here will say nothing, as a bit of an Elephant in the room, if you will.

Quote Originally Posted by The Charterhouse of Parma View Post
    I think it’s ridiculous at a club match. Also the fact that we’ve got more Ingerlish players than a lot of Ingerlish clubs.
    Like I've said, I think that's irrelevant.

Not so.

Quote Originally Posted by The Charterhouse of Parma View Post
    Not so.
    According to who?

Cringeworthy

Can't we go back to "You're gonna get your f***ing head kicked in"

Why haven't we substituted 'Men of Harlech' with 'Cardiff City.
    All the syllables work and it then becomes ours alone.

I've done gigs with bands in Swansea. Remember doing one once with a ska band for a scooter club, who soon realised that most of the band were Cardiff fans and provided banter all night. Took me ages to peel Swansea City badges off my keyboard. Did I give a shit? Nah. Great night was had by all.
    Why would people go out to watch a band with scumsea town badges in their pockets

I think it's brilliant to sing a Welsh language song. Anything that differentiates us from Englishness and Britishness should be cherished.
    But in the 'Gwlad' chorus everyone gets the final line wrong. It's 'O bydded i'r hen iaith barhau' (may the old language endure) , not 'dros ryddid collasant eu gweud'.

Quote Originally Posted by ken smith View Post
    I don't like it personally. I think we only do it because Wales do it. Would like more Cardiff specific songs.
    You mean... more specific than the Welsh national anthem... of which Cardiff is the capital... that kind of specific?

Never understood why we do it at City games. I don't understand why some of the English clubs sing GSTQ when they are playing us either.

Quote Originally Posted by tomm View Post
    I think it's brilliant to sing a Welsh language song. Anything that differentiates us from Englishness and Britishness should be cherished.
    But in the 'Gwlad' chorus everyone gets the final line wrong. It's 'O bydded i'r hen iaith barhau' (may the old language endure) , not 'dros ryddid collasant eu gweud'.
    Noticed this yesterday. I was going to come on here moaning about it.

I'd rather everyone do away with "oh Ingurland is full o'shit". Its daft and I've never sung it.

I like it. The commentators do too. If every time we sing it, an English commentator praises it on US TV, it's alright with me.