https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45546867

An MP who fought to save the life of PC Keith Palmer during last year's Westminster terror attack has told an inquest how a doctor ordered him to stop giving CPR.

Tobias Ellwood rushed to help PC Palmer after he was stabbed by Khalid Masood on 22 March.

But a doctor told Mr Elwood, "you've done your best", and PC Palmer died.

After almost breaking down in court, the MP said: "[We] closed the eyes and then I said 'I'm sorry'."

Mr Ellwood said that if he had taken his normal route into Parliament, he would have been closer to Masood as he launched the attack.

"I know I would have stepped forward and I regret not having the opportunity to do so," he added.

Four other people died after Masood drove into them on Westminster Bridge.

The inquest into the deaths of PC Palmer, 48, Kurt Cochran, 54, Leslie Rhodes, 75, Aysha Frade, 44, and Andreea Cristea, 31, is taking place at the Old Bailey in London.

An inquest into the death of Masood - who was shot dead by armed officers during the attack - will take place afterwards.

Mr Elwood - Conservative MP for Bournemouth East and a medically trained former Army officer - told the court he was in a meeting close by when the attack occurred.

He said he heard a crash followed by screams, adding: "These were not screams of pain... these were screams of shock."

After running through crowds of people with "panic in their eyes" and hearing shots fired, Mr Ellwood said he saw a number of police officers crouched near Carriage Gate - which leads to New Palace Yard, outside the Houses of Parliament - and PC Palmer and Masood on the floor.

He said the three officers helping PC Palmer looked like they needed assistance, so he ran towards them.

They told him he was risking his life because of the chance of a secondary attack, but the MP - whose brother died in the Bali attack in 2002 - told the court: "My brother was killed in a secondary attack... so I was very aware of that.

"I was concerned about what would happen if things were to ratchet up, but my immediate concern was that we had somebody who was clearly badly bleeding and needed assistance."