+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: I saw at least four Premier League sides City would have a decent chance of beating over the last four days.

I saw at least four Premier League sides City would have a decent chance of beating over the last four days.

Burnley were over run at Wolves, Everton dreadful against West Ham and neither Southampton or Brighton looked up to much last night. I'd give us a chance in home matches with West Ham and Wolves as well, while, at the moment, Spurs look a little like the top six side that become also rans (there always tends to be one every year) pretty quickly and, if that is the case, the New Years game down here could be interesting.

In saying that, I did mention in my Chelsea blog piece that I reckon we could be underdogs in every game we play this season, so it's perfectly possible that we end up with a very poor points return against the teams I've mentioned as well, but anyone who saw the four live matches Sky put out this weekend will have seen evidence that the Premier League is not the hugely daunting place that it's often made out to be.

Re: I saw at least four Premier League sides City would have a decent chance of beating over the last four days.

That covers both scenarios then

Re: I saw at least four Premier League sides City would have a decent chance of beating over the last four days.

I'll reserve judgement until after the Burnley game.

We will have to beat more than 4 teams to survive. But I agree none of the teams mentioned were up to much.

Forget West Ham and Everton
    They're far better then us.

Quote Originally Posted by simonp_ccfc View Post
    Forget West Ham and Everton
    They're far better then us.
    West Ham weren't better than us in their early games and Everton were as bad as I've seen in the Premier League this season on Sunday.

It's not just a question of looking at squads and comparing them - as I said, we are going to be underdogs in so many games this season if you base it on what we've got on paper, but things like bottle, squad morale, expectation levels and battling qualities count for an awful lot, especially if you're struggling, and I'd like to think that we showed last season that we are pretty strong in those departments.

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    I'll reserve judgement until after the Burnley game.
    Exactly

West Ham are better than us

Every Premier League manager knows that if their side fail to beat us they will be under enormous pressure from the media and their fans.

Last season a lot of teams played to our strengths by trying to combat us by trying to contain us. I was astounded by the number of teams who didn't have a go but thats what comes by having a decent start - I don't think Leeds are all that but a decent start and teams have changed their playing style against them.

I can't see any teams this season not attacking us from the off.

Anyway we all knew that was going to happen

We couldn't beat Huddersfield or Newcastle when they were down to 10 men. Out of the teams you mention, the only one I'd fancy us to get a result from is Burnley. Although, I'm sure they'll be feeling the same way about us.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    We couldn't beat Huddersfield or Newcastle when they were down to 10 men. Out of the teams you mention, the only one I'd fancy us to get a result from is Burnley. Although, I'm sure they'll be feeling the same way about us.
    Not like you to be negative.

Both Newcastle and Huddersfield parked the bus when they went down to 10, so it doesn't really matter how many men they had, they simply sacrificed any attacking threat bar the odd counter. If my auntie had balls she'd be my uncle, but if Morrison's header had gone in, we'd have won vs Huddersfield.

We've been competitive vs Arsenal and Chelsea, and we're more likely to get results against teams that actively look to beat us as opposed to stop us playing. This was true last season as well.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Burnley were over run at Wolves, Everton dreadful against West Ham and neither Southampton or Brighton looked up to much last night. I'd give us a chance in home matches with West Ham and Wolves as well, while, at the moment, Spurs look a little like the top six side that become also rans (there always tends to be one every year) pretty quickly and, if that is the case, the New Years game down here could be interesting.

In saying that, I did mention in my Chelsea blog piece that I reckon we could be underdogs in every game we play this season, so it's perfectly possible that we end up with a very poor points return against the teams I've mentioned as well, but anyone who saw the four live matches Sky put out this weekend will have seen evidence that the Premier League is not the hugely daunting place that it's often made out to be.
    If we had a striker[s], yes, but even if we compete and create chances we don't have anyone of Premiership quality to put those chances away. How we didn't get anyone in the close season is beyond me...

We will know by the end November .

Must admit to being puzzled by those who just state so and so are better than us as if that means end of argument.

In our previous season in the Premier League, we finished bottom of the table, yet we beat the team which won the title that year - Man City were better than us in 13/14, but that didn't stop them coming a cropper down here.

Even the Derby team of 07/08, whose record low points total for a Premier League season one or two on here are, gleefully, tipping us to beat, were able to avoid defeat in very close to a quarter of their matches that campaign, despite them being, self evidently, a lot worse than every other side in the division.

Leeds were better than us in 2002 for all the good it did them in that FA Cup match and the first choice Arsenal team of ten years earlier were better than last in what I still call Division Four Wrexham, but they still got embarrassed at the Racecourse in the same competition.

There were eight teams featured on Sky live Premier League matches over the weekend and, if it's our day, I think there are grounds for believing we could beat at least four of them in a one off game if they play to the level they showed in their most recent match.

We can certainly compete with a chunk of the division and we have shown that so far.

On the whole the league is stronger than the championship of course but there are a number of teams in a mini league of sorts that I'm quite confident we can get results against.

The week long gaps and impossible look of some fixtures don't help to encourage the feeling of a possible run of picking up points but it can happen.

One positive about being in a relegation fight is when you lose most of your rivals do also, couple of wins and we are planning a European adventure.

We need that first win to help kick us on. Going to be tough for us but I'm still feeling optimistic.

Must admit to being puzzled by those who just state so and so are better than us as if that means end of argument.

In our previous season in the Premier League, we finished bottom of the table, yet we beat the team which won the title that year - Man City were better than us in 13/14, but that didn't stop them coming a cropper down here.

Even the Derby team of 07/08, whose record low points total for a Premier League season one or two on here are, gleefully, tipping us to beat, were able to avoid defeat in very close to a quarter of their matches that campaign, despite them being, self evidently, a lot worse than every other side in the division.

Leeds were better than us in 2002 for all the good it did them in that FA Cup match and the first choice Arsenal team of ten years earlier were better than last in what I still call Division Four Wrexham, but they still got embarrassed at the Racecourse in the same competition.

There were eight teams featured on Sky live Premier League matches over the weekend and, if it's our day, I think there are grounds for believing we could beat at least four of them in a one off game if they play to the level they showed in their most recent match.
    Garth Crooks in his team of the week bit on the BBC website thinks we were "so out of our depth it was scary" against Chelsea.

I think there is a built in gene of pessimism in some on this board,it’s almost as if by saying that we can beat certain teams it automatically jinxes us!, apart from the Everton game, West Ham have looked dire in every match, Burnley have yet to turn up, Southampton are nothing special, Leicester,Watford,Everton,even Man United are all games that we could win,granted,the longer we go without winning,the more the pressure builds on us but I’m certainly not going to join the doomsday chorus on the evidence of what I’ve seen so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Garth Crooks in his team of the week bit on the BBC website thinks we were "so out of our depth it was scary" against Chelsea.
    That's good news, then.

It doesn't say much about Chelsea if they have Hazard, we didn't park the bus and it was still 2-1 after 79 minutes if we were "so out of our depth it was scary".

We've got to win 10 games. We're not going to be judged on our performances vs Hazard and Co, what matters if how we get on against Burnley, Brighton, Newcastle, Huddersfield etc. We're a better side than we were in 13/14, and the division is worse in my opinion. We'll struggle to score but so do all the teams I've previously mentioned (and more). We're going to lose about half the games we play this season so if we can win 10 games, draw a few more, who knows. Burnley next week is beginning to look like a 6 pointer for both sides.

We're not getting outclassed, we're not getting battered. Seems to be a given that the Premier League sides are so far ahead of us, and I can't see why. We've been the better team in 2 of the 5 games, admittedly not scoring, and we've played well in large parts vs Arsenal and Chelsea. I think had we played the better teams first, we'd have been in a better position to play attack more against B'mouth, Hudd and Newcastle but such is life! I'm staying positive, or at least trying to!

Fulham have spent an absolute fortune and are only 2 points above us. Everyone knew it was going to be hard so I can't quite work out or understand the defeatist attitude of some. We could easily have spent a small fortune and gone down, at least we're semi-futureproofing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    That's good news, then.

It doesn't say much about Chelsea if they have Hazard, we didn't park the bus and it was still 2-1 after 79 minutes if we were "so out of our depth it was scary".
    Well it was Garth Crooks!!

West Ham weren't better than us in their early games and Everton were as bad as I've seen in the Premier League this season on Sunday.

It's not just a question of looking at squads and comparing them - as I said, we are going to be underdogs in so many games this season if you base it on what we've got on paper, but things like bottle, squad morale, expectation levels and battling qualities count for an awful lot, especially if you're struggling, and I'd like to think that we showed last season that we are pretty strong in those departments.
    How come Everton are so bad? Didn’t they spend 200 million? Doesn’t that mean they are nailed on 7th now.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    How come Everton are so bad? Didn’t they spend 200 million? Doesn’t that mean they are nailed on 7th now.
    Their are 6 big clubs in the Premier League,the other 14 are trying to avoid relegation,Burnley 7th last season,bottom so far this season?

We are the one club any neutral fan would have us in the bottom 3 , and we need to accept that ,enjoy the ride , hope we battle .

Lets prey we dont go down and Leeds and Swansea go up .

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    If we had a striker[s], yes, but even if we compete and create chances we don't have anyone of Premiership quality to put those chances away. How we didn't get anyone in the close season is beyond me...
    Seconded.