+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: What's your sporting pinnacle?

What's your sporting pinnacle?

Just wondering what sort of things people have done. I enjoy a variety of sports, however not so much anymore with a young family.

I've had a hole in 1
    Ten pin bowling had 195
    Played football at the millennium stadium
    Played against Steve Jenkins and Nathan Blake
    Raced against Darren Campbell (although we were racing towards a football)
    I used to count my indoor goals got over 1000 in 6-7 scored some crackers (video available on request)

Snooker 25 break ( I do realise how bad this is)

Re: What's your sporting pinnacle?

Playing in a Cup Final at Fratton Park.
    Winning the Intermediate Grammar School Sports 220 yards in a record time (and never bettered ) of 11.00 secs.
    Captaining School First XI at cricket. We played local teams like Chichester High who had John Snow (England fast bowler).
    Being known for never boasting of my sporting prowess.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Playing in a Cup Final at Fratton Park.
    Winning the Intermediate Grammar School Sports 220 yards in a record time (and never bettered ) of 11.00 secs.
    Captaining School First XI at cricket. We played local teams like Chichester High who had John Snow (England fast bowler).
    Being known for never boasting of my sporting prowess.
    220 yards in 11 seconds is indeed a remarkable time. I assume you were on a bike?

Scoring a try for Cardiff boys under 11's on the Arms park (National stadium) in the DC Thomas cup final in about 1980

South Glamorgan under 13's discus champion a couple of years later

Played in the same Sunday league side as Darren Campbell for a couple of games in the mid 90's until his coach put a stop to it

@ Lardy: 220 yards in 11 seconds is indeed a remarkable time. I assume you were on a bike?

Tried to edit this - s/b 22.00 secs.

While I have the physique of a top athlete, sporting prowess bypassed me completely at the embryonic stage.

However, to answer the question, I once woke up, hungover, bleary-eyed and thought I'd have a go at throwing a few darts before venturing downstairs for a much needed piss. I've never been any good regardless of how much I've tried to practice.

First dart - treble 20. Second dart - same. Didn't even realise where they'd gone properly without my glasses on. Last dart - 180! When I think of the hours, days, years I've spent failing to manage so much as a straight throw, hitting the odd maximum once in a few months, this was incredible and surely something rarely managed by even the best.

Thinking I should cash in on what appeared to be a new-found ability, I think I scored 7 with my next attempt and went and had a dump.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    220 yards in 11 seconds is indeed a remarkable time. I assume you were on a bike?

Well, the world record for the 200 metres is 19.19 seconds, and 220 yards is a toenail over 201 metres, so you might be right!!

Getting up to turn over the tv channel for the FA Cup final in 1970.

211 in ten-pin bowling
    A 4-darter 201 (T20 T20 T19 D12)
    Bronze swimmimg award when at school (meant I could swim a width of Guildford Crescent baths)
    Did the Velothon this year aswell

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    While I have the physique of a top athlete, sporting prowess bypassed me completely at the embryonic stage.

However, to answer the question, I once woke up, hungover, bleary-eyed and thought I'd have a go at throwing a few darts before venturing downstairs for a much needed piss. I've never been any good regardless of how much I've tried to practice.

First dart - treble 20. Second dart - same. Didn't even realise where they'd gone properly without my glasses on. Last dart - 180! When I think of the hours, days, years I've spent failing to manage so much as a straight throw, hitting the odd maximum once in a few months, this was incredible and surely something rarely managed by even the best.

Thinking I should cash in on what appeared to be a new-found ability, I think I scored 7 with my next attempt and went and had a dump.
    I remember my friend telling me that Japanese warriors used to drink as it helped with their aim. Assume there must be some truth to is as darts players are always drinking

In snooker I once had a break of almost 7! Sadly it wasn't televised.

When I was 13, won the mile race (4 laps of 440 yards) at school by over half a lap.
    Runner-up in a holiday camp snooker comp (for adults) when I was 14.

Won several darts comps, done a 10-dart 501, played John Lowe (lost) and Alan Evans (won)

If only I had carried on with those!

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    I remember my friend telling me that Japanese warriors used to drink as it helped with their aim. Assume there must be some truth to is as darts players are always drinking
    Not always. In exhibitions many do, yes. The days of having a pint by the oche are long gone, many top players don't drink at all before a match in a professional tournament.

Played Basketball at a good level won schools Welsh championship and went to Crystal Palace to play the best in the UK ( got stuffed ).

Played in footy teams from infants school teams to local sides,stopped at 45, started as a center forward, settled as a center half , as my puff ran out and realised I was useless up front . ( played in front of Mike England ,nice chap )

Too many to pick one, 56 trophies gathering dust much to my wifes annoyance.

Didn't get a trophy for the pinnacle though. Part of a 3 man team to complete a 40 second refuel / wheel change in around 30 TT races. When your rider is risking his life a near 200 mph to gain every second, you cannot lose any time in a pit stop. It is without doubt the most nerve wracking, adhereline rush that I've ever had, to the point where you're emotionally drained afterwards ... and with 2 in a race, it's mindblowing.

Cardiff Schools football , won some cups, can't remember which. Cardiff Schools Rugby and East Wales Rugby, didn't even understand the rules, still don't, I was quick and could kick a ball, piece of piss at schoolboy level. Wales Schools Football, although ruptured a muscle in my back so couldn't play. Cardiff City Apprentice, Youth Team and a few reserve games. Jacked it in just after Len Ashurst Came to the club for a second time, I hated it, infact I never really enjoyed playing. Not really proud of any of it.

Cardiff schoolboy side all the way through Comprehensive school.
    Under 15 Welsh schoolboy trial.
    South Wales Amateur league and Welsh league as adult.

I play local Saturday and Sunday league often, always played goalie or defender and would describe myself as solid, maybe slightly better than average, but nothing special.

Anyway a few weeks ago, we were chasing a Sunday league game, everyone pushed up for a last minute corner and I stayed back on my own, ball come flying back out and I took a touch about 40 yards out slightly to the right of pitch, the day before kyle walker scored a cracker against Newcastle from a similar (slightly closer position) It was fresh in my head and I replicated the technique and hit the ball like I never have before or new I had the ability to,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocHB35Jr3Xk

similar to his this cut across it but mine went top bins and just as fast, keeper was planted to the floor.

It is really funny, because it was a nothing sunday league game, and i played it cool at the time took a bit of praise for a hour or two after the game, but I couldn't stop smiling to myself for 3 days after.

and even now when i think of it i get goosebumps, it is so funny, because i realise it is not that an impressive thing and people do it every weekend all over the country, but I had a buzz that just can not be articulated, I imagine it is the closest thing to a drug you can get.

The morale for me was if that could make me fell that way, the realisation of how fantastic it must be to score a goal as a pro footballer, with thousands of fans cheering it must be something else.

i had a hole in 1 when my finger went through the toilet paper

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    I play local Saturday and Sunday league often, always played goalie or defender and would describe myself as solid, maybe slightly better than average, but nothing special.

Anyway a few weeks ago, we were chasing a Sunday league game, everyone pushed up for a last minute corner and I stayed back on my own, ball come flying back out and I took a touch about 40 yards out slightly to the right of pitch, the day before kyle walker scored a cracker against Newcastle from a similar (slightly closer position) It was fresh in my head and I replicated the technique and hit the ball like I never have before or new I had the ability to,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocHB35Jr3Xk

similar to his this cut across it but mine went top bins and just as fast, keeper was planted to the floor.

It is really funny, because it was a nothing sunday league game, and i played it cool at the time took a bit of praise for a hour or two after the game, but I couldn't stop smiling to myself for 3 days after.

and even now when i think of it i get goosebumps, it is so funny, because i realise it is not that an impressive thing and people do it every weekend all over the country, but I had a buzz that just can not be articulated, I imagine it is the closest thing to a drug you can get.

The morale for me was if that could make me fell that way, the realisation of how fantastic it must be to score a goal as a pro footballer, with thousands of fans cheering it must be something else.
    Scoring a goal is a brilliant moment, Just a great, great feeling. Can’t wait for the next life and start all over again, will be a bit greedier though😂😂😂

South Wales Amateur League, two Cup Finals in one season (lost them both!).

Played against Nigel Rees the day before his trial with Cardiff City and he went on to cross the ball for Brian Clark to score against Real Madrid. Do you think I claim some sort of influence?????

John Williams, goalkeeper when Cardiff City reached the FA Youth Cup Final in 1970-71, was a mate back then.

Welsh School Football Champions, scored in the final. It seemed like the most important thing in the world

Scored a drop goal once, didn't know what had happened at the time

Some.of my favourite goals on video
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YLo-BGtbm_o

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4E_apyvV9yY

Before anyone asks

I know I'm sad
    I am aware these are not the standard rules of indoor football