+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Isn't it time this was stopped?

Isn't it time this was stopped?

If this has been aired before I apologise. I can't stand the stuttered run up of penalty takers. Surely they should be made to have a consistent run up. I can't see how it can be allowed for the player to run up to the ball, stop and see which way the goalkeeper is heading then calmly slot it in the other side of the net. Definitely not football in my book.

Re: Isn't it time this was stopped?

I don't mind the player stuttering or running up to the ball in a weird half jog like pogba but I don't think you can stop at the end of the run, I maybe wrong.

All part of the fun, always funny when they try to be too cool and the keeper just stands there.

Quote Originally Posted by Malckent View Post
    If this has been aired before I apologise. I can't stand the stuttered run up of penalty takers. Surely they should be made to have a consistent run up. I can't see how it can be allowed for the player to run up to the ball, stop and see which way the goalkeeper is heading then calmly slot it in the other side of the net. Definitely not football in my book.
    I think you are coming from the viewpoint of being unfair to the keeper.
    (bearing in mind the rule, AFAIK, as long as there is forward motion from start to finish i.e. no stopping then all's okay)

Couple of things...

It would be difficult to police as many styles of run up are different.
    It can be just as disruptive for the taker as the keeper.
    It takes some nerve to wait until the keeper goes.
    Lots if pressure on the penalty taker whereas nobody really expects the keeper to save it.
    The rules now allow keepers to move, in many cases they try and put the taker off.

All in all I'd say that the rules make it pretty even for taker and keeper and the rule is as good now as it has ever been.

I thought that you weren't allowed to stop anymore which is why you see people like Pogba taking extremely short steps in his run up.

https://youtu.be/RnybFTb0Ars

Some of these are great

Some great rugby conversions amongst those you tube clips. I got a few people to agree with me in the pub on Monday that the law needs to be looked at after Mr ings scored for the saints.

You can't stutter or stop but you can vary your speed. I'd rather they sorted out foul throws first though, that really gets my goat.