+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dominic Booth in the Echo

Dominic Booth in the Echo

Bit petty I s’pose but it annoys me when, in our local paper, he refers to us as Cardiff and Man City as ‘City’. Surely we are the City in our locality, the Chronicle in Newcastle wouldn’t dare use ‘United’ to describe Manchester when their own United are playing them. I imagine this personal annoyance comes from my own sarky replies to anybody who proudly declares himself to be a United fan to me, the reply has always got to be ‘Colchester, Peterborough? Which one?’. Even in my 60s I can be quite immature........or is anyone else on my wavelength? 🤪🤪

Re: Dominic Booth in the Echo

Nah I agree with you. Sky and national media would happily have everyone believe there is only one city.

Can't remember what clubs forum it was but was reading one prior to our match and a few of the posters were confused that having read our forum we used just City to describe ourselves.

It's because he's from Cheshire, so will refer to them as such. He's a big Man United fan. He shouldn't refer to Man City as City though, we're City in Cardiff; just like United in Sheffield or Newcastle, doesn't mean Man United.

Agreed. I find it really irritating.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Newcastle wouldn’t dare use ‘United’ to describe Manchester when their own United are playing them.
    Probably not a good example. My sidekick is a Newcastle season ticket holder, I asked him who United were, he said Manchester. I said what do Geordies call your team & he said emphatically "The Toon"

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Probably not a good example. My sidekick is a Newcastle season ticket holder, I asked him who United were, he said Manchester. I said what do Geordies call your team & he said emphatically "The Toon"
    Interestingly, my best mate is a Geordie and he said if you said United in Newcastle, he said everyone would think you meant Newcastle. I suppose it means different things to different people. Noticed that West Ham were chanting "United! United" on Saturday. Cardiff are definitely City or the City though.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Lived up there years ago, United were definitely Newcastle, in fact no other club existed bar Newcastle.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Interestingly, my best mate is a Geordie and he said if you said United in Newcastle, he said everyone would think you meant Newcastle. I suppose it means different things to different people. Noticed that West Ham were chanting "United! United" on Saturday. Cardiff are definitely City or the City though.
    Sham 69 chant it at the end of 'if The Kids Are United' & it's definitely about West Ham.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    Agreed. I find it really irritating.
    And I do, I'm not a big fan of Mr Booth after his "banter" with Welsh fans during 2016.

Bit petty I s’pose but it annoys me when, in our local paper, he refers to us as Cardiff and Man City as ‘City’. Surely we are the City in our locality, the Chronicle in Newcastle wouldn’t dare use ‘United’ to describe Manchester when their own United are playing them. I imagine this personal annoyance comes from my own sarky replies to anybody who proudly declares himself to be a United fan to me, the reply has always got to be ‘Colchester, Peterborough? Which one?’. Even in my 60s I can be quite immature........or is anyone else on my wavelength? 🤪🤪
    Watch out SP, you might well get accused of paranoia with such views

I do agree, irritating.

The correct terminology is City v Shitty

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Watch out SP, you might well get accused of paranoia with such views

I do agree, irritating.
    Who me? Paranoid? Who suggested that? Did anyone suggest that ? Please tell me they didn’t?😢😢😢😢

Who me? Paranoid? Who suggested that? Did anyone suggest that ? Please tell me they didn’t?😢😢😢😢
    I've just emailed Booth to remind him/her is working in Cardiff City not Manchester City.

Bit petty I s’pose but it annoys me when, in our local paper, he refers to us as Cardiff and Man City as ‘City’. Surely we are the City in our locality, the Chronicle in Newcastle wouldn’t dare use ‘United’ to describe Manchester when their own United are playing them. I imagine this personal annoyance comes from my own sarky replies to anybody who proudly declares himself to be a United fan to me, the reply has always got to be ‘Colchester, Peterborough? Which one?’. Even in my 60s I can be quite immature........or is anyone else on my wavelength? ����
    Ah good! I am still criticised by a couple of mates for something I said to someone in a pub about 30 years ago -

"How did United get on?"

"Which one, Colchester, Sheffield?"

It was seen to be stroppy.

I'm with you SP!

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    I've just emailed Booth to remind him/her is working in Cardiff City not Manchester City.
    👍 Snap, suggested he get a job on the Manchester Evening News if he wants to refer to Manchester City as ‘City’.

Anyway, thanks lads for your heartwarming backing on this thread. Great to know that there are a lot of like minded people on here, thought I might have had a few ‘ya finicky, childish drip’ responses.......cue the ‘finicky, childish drip’ responses now🤪

The United thing bugs me also and it’s citeh not city

Lazy journalism which seems to be a trait of many of WOL's writers these days.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Lazy journalism which seems to be a trait of many of WOL's writers these days.
    He’s just replied to me, stating that he’s from Manchester so referred to Man City as ‘City’ in this instance. I politely reminded him that he’s writing for the Echo & should respect his readership, I did mention would the Manchester Evening News report that the Citizens were playing the City this weekend? Doubt they would even if the reporter was from Grangetown. He did say he hoped I’d still keep tabs on his ‘up to date’ Cardiff City news😂😂😂😂

He’s just replied to me, stating that he’s from Manchester so referred to Man City as ‘City’ in this instance. I politely reminded him that he’s writing for the Echo & should respect his readership, I did mention would the Manchester Evening News report that the Citizens were playing the City this weekend? Doubt they would even if the reporter was from Grangetown. He did say he hoped I’d still keep tabs on his ‘up to date’ Cardiff City news😂😂😂😂
    Shouldn't matter a jot where he comes from. It's his readership (or what's left of it) that he's writing to.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Shouldn't matter a jot where he comes from. It's his readership (or what's left of it) that he's writing to.
    He's gonna lose a few of the few left writing in such a way.
    Cheeky fecker trying to justify it too

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    And I do, I'm not a big fan of Mr Booth after his "banter" with Welsh fans during 2016.
    Booth is a prick of the highest regard

I absolutely agree. It's one thing for national media to try it on but for local media to follow suit is pretty sickening.

I agree with all the grumbling in this thread, and am irritated even further by his response that indicates he thinks that's a perfectly acceptable way to behave

Just emailed him again, inviting him to sign up on here to reply and try & justify his reporting style.