+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FT: CARDIFF CITY 0 - 5 MANCHESTER CITY. Match thread

Re: CARDIFF CITY v MANCHESTER CITY. Match thread

And Burnley beat Bournemouth 4-0. Can't wait!

We didn't stop trying but they are just too good. The next 4 or 5 at home will be our chance to get points.

Positives: Manga was brilliant until that late mistake. Cunningham looks a good backup. Ward was decent again. The fans.

I'm a bit concerned that Richards might get more game time with Pelts latest injury. We look vulnerable down his side.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    Dunno. CCFC fans are a down to earth bunch. Just .... y'know .....do your best and enjoy the ride. We are gonna get to visit some fabulous stadiums and watch some really top class footballers.
    Oh dear.. I don't know where to begin with this.

Are you a Cardiff City fan, you seem happy just to watch the opposition?

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Thank goodness they'll be a bit complacent after their midweek victory.

City 0 - 4 Manchester City. Let's get it over with without any injuries or suspensions please.
    One goal away. Manchester City's style and money just picks at all our weaknesses.

Positives:
    + Manga looked ok, Cunningham looked ok, Reid looked ok again. We have individuals who are putting in good performances every week.
    + I forecast that only Manchester City, Liverpool and potentially Spurs can tear us apart like that.
    + No bookings and only one injury. Burnley is our biggest game (it was when fixtures came out) so do not get downhearted.

Things to improve on:
    - Peltier can play in a back 5 as inside RB but is not a premier league full-back.
    - i was hoping that the weather would even things up a bit but seems not. A worry over winter when we need to pick up most of our points?

Regardless of formation or selection nothing would have changed this. They were so much better it was unbelievable I think we are going to far away from what got us success last season though

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Oh dear.. I don't know where to begin with this.

Are you a Cardiff City fan, you seem happy just to watch the opposition?

I'm being sarcastic to avoid getting shot down for being negative.

In the first few games the sounds coming out of the club and amongst the fans were pretty much the same as the sentiments I expressed above.

My genuine opinion is that if you are going to get promoted to the premier league you have to be competetive. I know we have had a tough run of fixtures but we should still be showing a bit more I'd say. Not winning , but losing by the odd goal. Being very fit, very organised and keeping things tight. Like we did to get promotion. I'm not sure if there is much scope beyond that.

Fairplay to the fans for "keeping the faith" and singing all the way through though. It'll help the players.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    One goal away. Manchester City's style and money just picks at all our weaknesses.

Positives:
    + Manga looked ok, Cunningham looked ok, Reid looked ok again. We have individuals who are putting in good performances every week.
    + I forecast that only Manchester City, Liverpool and potentially Spurs can tear us apart like that.
    + No bookings and only one injury. Burnley is our biggest game (it was when fixtures came out) so do not get downhearted.

Things to improve on:
    - Peltier can play in a back 5 as inside RB but is not a premier league full-back.
    - i was hoping that the weather would even things up a bit but seems not. A worry over winter when we need to pick up most of our points?
    Ashamed to say that parted at HT for the first time ever.
    I know Man City are a very good team but I am now getting worried.
    A few Chelsea fans posted after last weeks game that we were not much better than a Sunday pub team.
    I thought it was very harsh but today that is exactly what we looked like.
    On many occasions our defending was like a comedy of errors and could so easily have been 8 or 9.
    Not want to point anyone out individually, but we do not have a Premiership quality player in the squad.
    A little fed up with "we are just enjoying the ride" as we are fast becoming an embarrassment.

Re: FT: CARDIFF CITY 0 - 5 MANCHESTER CITY. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    Ashamed to say that parted at HT for the first time ever.
    I know Man City are a very good team but I am now getting worried.
    A few Chelsea fans posted after last weeks game that we were not much better than a Sunday pub team.
    I thought it was very harsh but today that is exactly what we looked like.
    On many occasions our defending was like a comedy of errors and could so easily have been 8 or 9.
    Not want to point anyone out individually, but we do not have a Premiership quality player in the squad.
    A little fed up with "we are just enjoying the ride" as we are fast becoming an embarrassment.
    That's absolute bollocks.

We have 3.
    Etheridge, Arter and cassamara. The rest are good championship players playing in the premier League

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    That's absolute bollocks.
    It's an overreaction. We have a few. But nowhere near enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    We have 3.
    Etheridge, Arter and cassamara. The rest are good championship players playing in the premier League
    But how many sides would play them in their first 11 ?

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    That’s it, I’m giving up.

I think at the moment, Etheridge would be the only player to start for another club.

I'm being sarcastic to avoid getting shot down for being negative.

In the first few games the sounds coming out of the club and amongst the fans were pretty much the same as the sentiments I expressed above.

My genuine opinion is that if you are going to get promoted to the premier league you have to be competetive. I know we have had a tough run of fixtures but we should still be showing a bit more I'd say. Not winning , but losing by the odd goal. Being very fit, very organised and keeping things tight. Like we did to get promotion. I'm not sure if there is much scope beyond that.

Fairplay to the fans for "keeping the faith" and singing all the way through though. It'll help the players.

OK, fair enough. I've had a fair bit to drink and my senses are off.

I'd be interested to know what people think the solution is to the fact we don't have enough quality players ? Or whose fault it is ? Was there ever going to be any other outcome in terms of recruitment ?

This is what infuriates me about the situation we are in as a club. It seems there is either a totally unrealistic idea that we can stay up without investing in the squad. If that's the case , it's worrying because it means we are being run by people who are naive about demands of PL football.

Either that, or there is no real expectation of staying up at all. Which is feckin annoying because you are basically condeming the fans , players and manger to a demoralising season ...... potentially.

I don't get it.

I think your last paragraph is near the truth. It is fingers crossed from the clubs hierarchy that we stay up, but if not parachute payments in the Championship next year.

I'd be interested to know what people think the solution is to the fact we don't have enough quality players ? Or whose fault it is ? Was there ever going to be any other outcome in terms of recruitment ?

This is what infuriates me about the situation we are in as a club. It seems there is either a totally unrealistic idea that we can stay up without investing in the squad. If that's the case , it's worrying because it means we are being run by people who are naive about demands of PL football.

Either that, or there is no real expectation of staying up at all. Which is feckin annoying because you are basically condeming the fans , players and manger to a demoralising season ...... potentially.

I don't get it.
    My impression is that the club have decided that it's not worth spending when staying up is still a gamble. Maybe there's a thought that we can go down and come back up. I don't know. I don't get it. I previously thought that if we had spent another 25 million on two or three more players we would have at least had a chance to be competitive. Now I'm not so sure.

After 6 games (including 3 of the 'top 6') and only 2 points, I don't think the picture is completely bleak. Mainly bleak, but....

We were murdered by Man City today, and were toothless against Bournemouth, Newcastle and Huddersfield. But in those three games with a bit more composure (and the competitiveness we showed against Arsenal and Chelsea for the first 78 minutes!) we could easily have collected a reasonable points total based on general play.

Our squad value and wage bill are supposedly the lowest in the league - but the manager has experience, a winning mentality, and more tactical nous than he is given credit for. Goals conceded in the last three games are a real worry, but we should be capable of much more defensive solidity and a greater goal threat than when we started the season.

I accept that we are likely to be relegated, but I don't accept that is a foregone conclusion. We do need the squad to be performing near its best, and so far that hasn't happened. Etheridge, Camarasa, Manga and Arter have looked good - but we need Mozzer, Junior, Kenneth and a few others to find their feet quickly and do what they did in the Championship. If that happens we have a chance.

No one enjoys losing, but if we are competitive, evolve and improve during the season, and pull off the great escape - even with losing most games - I will be content.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    After 6n games (including 3 of the 'top 6') and only 2 points, I don't think the picture is completely bleak. Mainly bleak, but....

We were murdered by Man City today, and were toothless against Bournemouth, Newcastle and Huddersfield. But in those three games with a bit more composure (and the competitiveness we showed against Arsenal and Chelsea for the first 78 minutes!) we could easily have collected a reasonable points total based on general play.

Our squad value and wage bill are supposedly the lowest in the league - but the manager has experience, a winning mentality, and more tactical nous than he is given credit for. Goals conceded in the last three games are a real worry, but we should be capable of much more defensive solidity and a greater goal threat than when we started the season.

I accept that we are likely to be relegated, but I don't accept that is a foregone conclusion. We do need the squad to be performing near its best, and so far that hasn't happened. Etheridge, Camarasa, Manga and Arter have looked good - but we need Mozzer, Junior, Kenneth and a few others to find their feet quickly and do what they did in the Championship. If that happens we have a chance.

No one enjoys losing, but if we are competitive, evolve and improve during the season, and pull off the great escape - even with losing most games - I will be content.
    Good post.

I don't get it.
    I don't know what there is to get?

Last season Warnock got every last drop out of if we are honest was a limited squad. We played for large parts of the season with only Joe Ralls as a recognised midfielder in filled the gaps with the likes of Bamba, Halford, Paterson etc.

To compete with Man City and Chelsea has proven impossible for clubs far better equipped than us and even to compete at all was gonna be massive ask for us.

We needed new wingers, a pretty much brand new midfield, new strikers, a new right full back, a goalkeeper as Etheredge is missing a large chunk of the season. We needed cover for Bennett as well, so the question I would ask is how were the club realistically meant to do this without risking a repeat of what happened last time when we almost crashed and burned?

I'm taking this season as a bonus season cos that's exactly what it is.

For those struggling at the bottom the premier league is an absolute poisoned chalice. If you want proof look at what is happening to our neighbours up the road.

We are in many ways a club in its infancy. We have owners who don't have any idea about football, we have no director of football, the owner has been stung by agents and former employees and we have a non-existent scouting network.

Hopefully these things can change but at present we are punching way above our weight and fans need a reality check.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post

Last season Warnock got every last drop out of if we are honest was a limited squad. We played for large parts of the season with only Joe Ralls as a recognised midfielder in filled the gaps with the likes of Bamba, Halford, Paterson etc.

To compete with Man City and Chelsea has proven impossible for clubs far better equipped than us and even to compete at all was gonna be massive ask for us.

We needed new wingers, a pretty much brand new midfield, new strikers, a new right full back, a goalkeeper as Etheredge is missing a large chunk of the season. We needed cover for Bennett as well, so the question I would ask is how were the club realistically meant to do this without risking a repeat of what happened last time when we almost crashed and burned?

For those struggling at the bottom the premier league is an absolute poisoned chalice. If you want proof look at what is happening to our neighbours up the road.

We are in many ways a club in its infancy. We have owners who don't have any idea about football, we have no director of football, the owner has been stung by agents and former employees and we have a non-existent scouting network.

Hopefully these things can change but at present we are punching way above our weight and fans need a reality check.
    I agree with everything said.
    My post was not criticising the players, as I believe they are truly trying to give their all.
    I also think Tan, after his past experience, would be crazy to give Warnock £100M to completely re-build.
    However, although it is early days, I believe there is a possibility that the writing may be on the wall, even in September.
    Given the difficulty of promotion from the championship, I am a little fed up with the comments like, just enjoy the ride.
    It's as though, like the vast amount of pundits, we are accepting relegation after 5-6 games.
    We desperately need Zohore to wake up and step up and also work hard on our defenders mis controlling, mis kicking and generally looking clumsy.
    Today, I think it was harsh to drop Bennet

That’s all well and good, but it’s very difficult to think that rationally when you are a supporter of a club that is getting spanked every weekend and isn’t looking like it has what it takes to compete.

I think I’d rather watch us actually competing for things in the championship than getting stuffed in the PL.

Smaller clubs than us manage to make it in the PL. Our neighbours are actually a great example of that....they actually had a good run in the top flight , something that isn’t looking very likely for us AS THINGS STAND. They bought players and made a go of it. Their failure was nothing to do with stature or a lack of investment . Just poor management of the club.

I think if you have aspirations to be a PL side you owe it to your staff , players and fans to give it a go. If you have to find a loan player or two and fork out an extra 2 million in wages you do it.

That’s my take

People slating the fact our squad isn't good enough, would also be the ones who would slate the club and Tan for spending like Fulham as it would be 'reckless' and 'asking for a financial disaster'. No one had these complaints regarding our style of play last season when it was working, with these players. Yes, we are shite. Yes, most of the players aren't good enough to compete with the big dogs, as well as a few others on top of them, but then again clearly there are a few other teams who aren't good enough either. Wouldn't say I'm overly positive but, but some of you, well, you must have really hard lives at home and in work if this is how quick you get down and out, how defeatist. Give it till Brighton, at least.

No one expected us to win today or last week. I don't expect us to win any game. I'm not saying we won't win all season, but right now, I wouldn't fancy us to beat anyone. We're obviously not good enough for this division, I think the question most people are asking is: why didn't we even set ourselves up with a chance to be competitive?