+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: FT: CARDIFF CITY 0 - 5 MANCHESTER CITY. Match thread

Re: FT: CARDIFF CITY 0 - 5 MANCHESTER CITY. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    No one expected us to win today or last week. I don't expect us to win any game. I'm not saying we won't win all season, but right now, I wouldn't fancy us to beat anyone. We're obviously not good enough for this division, I think the question most people are asking is: why didn't we even set ourselves up with a chance to be competitive?
    So we spend 100 million, still get relegated, and then what ?

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    You don't need to spend £100m
    A lot of the preparation is done in the championship.
    We were a battling side that punched above our weight and got promotion.
    Bottom line, we were not as good a footballing side as either Fulham or Wolves, even before they spent obscene money.
    If we are honest, our neighbours down west had a much better footballing strategy which was easier to add one or two players when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    You don't need to spend £100m
    A lot of the preparation is done in the championship.
    We were a battling side that punched above our weight and got promotion.
    Bottom line, we were not as good a footballing side as either Fulham or Wolves, even before they spent obscene money.
    If we are honest, our neighbours down west had a much better footballing strategy which was easier to add one or two players when needed.
    I agree but I've highlighted all those things in my post and that is why we can't expect everything to change overnight just cos we're promoted. It will take time and strategy. When Warnock came in his job was to stop us being relegated then within 18 months we were promoted!

We could have had 13 on the pitch today & still lost. Gundogan & Silva were sensational in midfield. We were always going to lose this game, to a team with a bench including Kompany, Stones, Silva, Jesus & Mahrez, each bought for more than our entire squad.

Move on & focus on the games in front of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    We could have had 13 on the pitch today & still lost. Gundogan & Silva were sensational in midfield. We were always going to lose this game, to a team with a bench including Kompany, Stones, Silva, Jesus & Mahrez, each bought for more than our entire squad.

Move on & focus on the games in front of us.
    Yep they were a couple of steps up on Arsenal and Chelsea. Be stunned if they didn't win the league at a canter again.

F*ck me, we got beat today by the best team I’ve ever seen play football in Cardiff, better than that Euro super cup game (of whatever it’s called), better the any international side I’ve seen Wales play, Man City were awesome, no need to be despondent really, that side were a joy to watch

No one expected us to win today or last week. I don't expect us to win any game. I'm not saying we won't win all season, but right now, I wouldn't fancy us to beat anyone. We're obviously not good enough for this division, I think the question most people are asking is: why didn't we even set ourselves up with a chance to be competitive?
    Which games haven't we competed in?

- Bournemouth
    - Man city

All the others we have. Chelsea last 30 minutes was difficult watch but up until that point we competed.

Which games have we looked like winning is a second matter. Again though, up until 60 mins into Chelsea game i believe we were all quite positive about our chances in the Burnely game onwards about picking up wins, and we only need 10 wins to have a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    F*ck me, we got beat today by the best team I’ve ever seen play football in Cardiff, better than that Euro super cup game (of whatever it’s called), better the any international side I’ve seen Wales play, Man City were awesome, no need to be despondent really, that side were a joy to watch
    This is what all of us said a real joy to see but painful

Bluebirds demolished as Man City 'rain' supreme

Apart from being part of a brutal exhibition of passing and finishing from Manchster City there was nothing for Cardiff fans to enjoy about that performance.

I called it 'depressing' on social media yesterday. Thinking back my mind hasn't changed. I don't think I enjoyed one bit of the game as a Cardiff fan. If you alter your thinking a little and appreciate the devastating way Man City created space and movement to score their goals then there was some enjoyment to be had but you really needed to be a Man City fan or a neutral to have walked away with any sense of satisfaction.

After giving Arsenal a game, Chelsea a scare the most we gave Man City was a run for being the wettest City in the UK. It teemed down all game and that added to the gloom.

C:WindowsTempphpA71F.tmp

The home support was excellent, backing the side as they tried to compete on a stage against players who individually are each worth more than our whole squad.

We kept it at 0 - 0 for half an hour but Aguero on his 300th appearance for Man City opened the scoring after a slick passing move. Bernardo Silva's flciked header found the back of the net two minutes later before Gundogan scored the goal of the game with a shot from 20 yards on the stroke of half time.

City did have a decent chance in the first half. Danny Ward found space to shoot but it was straight at the keeeper.

Joe Ralls as booked for a bad tackle on Gundogan and as the second half started Lee Peltier was stretchered off with a dislocated shoulder.

Peltier was in the side at full back with Bruno Manga moving into the middle alongside Sean Morrison, there was a start for Greg Cunningham as well with Sol Bamba and Joe Bennett dropped to the bench.

The City defenders were the busiest players on the pitch because the midfield and non existant atttack barely touched the ball.

Riyad Mahrez, on for Aguero, tapped in a 4th after another devastaing move that left City chasing shadows before Manga's failure to clear after good work allowed Mahrez a second and Man Cty's fifth.

Cardiff City's effort to change the game saw Ken Zohore given 30 mins to make a difference and I think he may have touched the ball twice such was the rarity of possession tha City had going forward.

Like last week at Chelsea the top sides have the ability to get the ball of you as soon as they lose possession and this was highlighted to me yesterday when City had the chance of a break and four Man City players had closed down Junior Hoilett and regained the ball before Hoilett had made an impression on the Man City half. When it was the other way around the ball could move from one end to the other and be in the back of the net without a Cardiff player getting a touch.

Our season though is not going to be defined by games against Man City and Chelsea. Any points gained against top six sides are going to be a bonus. If we are going to have a chance of survival we must take points off the teams who are going to be struggling with us. And let's not kid ourselves, it's going to be a struggle.

Football League players usually gain their Premier League experience in teams alongside established establised top flight players. Apart from Harry Arter and maybe Camarsa (from La Liga) we have an over achieving EFL squad playing in the best league in the world.

Next up we face Burnley. It's the Super Sunday game next week with a 4pm kick off. Burnley had been suffering after a poor start that was maybe influenced by the Europa League but they are out of that competition now and whacked Bournemouth 4 - 0 yesterday.

Cardiff have to get something from that game and the next home game after that v Fulham. Becuase our next two aways are at Spurs and Liverpool.

I understand 'Keep the Faith', 'Support the Boys' etc but from a realists point of view we are in danger of ending the first 1/4 of the season without a win and no matter who you support it's not a positive experience.

We earned the right to be here, now we need to earn the right to stay here. And that means starting to win some games.

I think quite a few were calling for premier league experience in the team. The likes of Ginge were available on frees. A couple like him would have made an excellent short term addition to the squad while the others settied into the Premier.
    It is disappointing, but hardly surprising that the likes of Morrie, Bamba, Hoilett are finding the transition difficult. With a bit of experienced support things could have been a whole lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Which games haven't we competed in?

- Bournemouth
    - Man city

All the others we have. Chelsea last 30 minutes was difficult watch but up until that point we competed.

Which games have we looked like winning is a second matter. Again though, up until 60 mins into Chelsea game i believe we were all quite positive about our chances in the Burnely game onwards about picking up wins, and we only need 10 wins to have a chance.

ONLY
    10 wins? That would get us to 32 points, which would still see us relegated. But where are we getting 10 wins?

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Who said anything about 100 million? We spent 26. And we didn't buy a single premier league player.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I'm taking this season as a bonus season cos that's exactly what it is.
    What is a bonus season? I've never heard that phrase before. What exactly does it mean?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    What is a bonus season? I've never heard that phrase before. What exactly does it mean?
    A bonus season is where a club with crippling debts from their last single season in the premier league, get promoted by having amazing team spirit who then strengthen their team in hope that it's enough to scrape enough points to stay up, but if they don't they'll be in a much better position both financially and as a team in a years time. Hope that helps

A bonus season is where a club with crippling debts from their last single season in the premier league, get promoted by having amazing team spirit who then strengthen their team in hope that it's enough to scrape enough points to stay up, but if they don't they'll be in a much better position both financially and as a team in a years time. Hope that helps
    Thanks, it does help. It’s a load of nonsense, but at least I have some idea of what you meant.

Thanks, it does help. It’s a load of nonsense, but at least I have some idea of what you meant.
    Why would it bother you anyway?

What gives you the impression that it bothers me?

Wow what a cool dude you are

But we don't have crippling debts from our last season in the EPL? That's just a false narrative. We resold most of the players at even money or at a profit. The only player we lost out on Was Cornelius and he only cost £8m. £2m more than Gary Madine. We spent £10 on Josh Murphy and he doesn't even start.

Wow what a cool dude you are
    Thanks. That was a bonus.

But we don't have crippling debts from our last season in the EPL? That's just a false narrative. We resold most of the players at even money or at a profit. The only player we lost out on Was Cornelius and he only cost £8m. £2m more than Gary Madine. We spent £10 on Josh Murphy and he doesn't even start.
    It's not a false narrative. What generally happens is it's the wages that cripple far more than the fees. We were paying off players like Javi Guerra amd Kenwyne years later. Add to that the transfer fees are generally paid in instalments and I was told a few years back that Tan was upholding us with millions a month a few years back.

Warnock himself said that we'd have been forced to sell assets like Joe Ralls if we failed to be promoted last season.