+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Slippy G and the Gers

Slippy G and the Gers

Great performance. Doing the Union Jack proud. Gerrard might actually be a decent manager.

Re: Slippy G and the Gers

Great result, top Spanish side .

Early days.
    Still think he’s as thick as mince.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Early days.
    Still think he’s as thick as mince.
    I did but now I’m not so sure. I don’t like Rangers or their Brit Nat beliefs but the way his team played today was very impressive.

Watching Celtic now. The whole “pub league” rubbish about the SPL is clearly a load of bollux. I wish Wales had a league as good as they have in Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by severncity View Post
    I did but now I’m not so sure. I don’t like Rangers or their Brit Nat beliefs but the way his team played today was very impressive.

Watching Celtic now. The whole “pub league” rubbish about the SPL is clearly a load of bollux. I wish Wales had a league as good as they have in Scotland.
    The league is poor, they’ve got two big sides in Rangers and Celtic and 3 alright-ish teams in Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    The league is poor, they’ve got two big sides in Rangers and Celtic and 3 alright-ish teams in Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs.
    They’re a nation of 6 milllion. I’d say historically and even with a drop in previous standards they’re doing quite well.

I flicked between the Celtic and the Arsenal games. The Celtic game I thought WAS just like a parks game with mistakes galore and could only manage 10 minutes.
    Possibly Chris Sutton's commentary had an affect on me too mind!

The Europa league IMO is not worth bothering with until the knock out stages. I find it football overload otherwise.

Didn't watch the Rangers game as I could never stand to watch them, even when they were 'good'.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffIrish2 View Post
    They’re a nation of 6 milllion. I’d say historically and even with a drop in previous standards they’re doing quite well.
    You’re right but it is poor.
    It gets far more air time than it should.

Well Rangers played well tonight. FACT.

Well Rangers played well tonight. FACT.
    Yes indeed.

I wish Wales had a league as strong as the SPL too, but that's also like saying that I wish Wales had a league somewhere in quality between the championship and league one. Which is also true.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I wish Wales had a league as strong as the SPL too, but that's also like saying that I wish Wales had a league somewhere in quality between the championship and league one. Which is also true.
    But it isn’t true. On last nights showing Rangers are better than Championship standard. Celtic have proved they are a top club by qualifying for the group stage of the Champions League many times. Looking at bottom club Dundee’s squad it is probably Championship/League 1 standard but one could make the same judgement about most of the teams in the Portuguese, Belgian, Danish, Swedish, Greek, Austrian, Czech, Ukrainian etc etc leagues.

Examining https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_coefficient this seems to be the truth. Most European leagues have a few very good teams and the remainder are mediocre.

But it isn’t true. On last nights showing Rangers are better than Championship standard. Celtic have proved they are a top club by qualifying for the group stage of the Champions League many times. Looking at bottom club Dundee’s squad it is probably Championship/League 1 standard but one could make the same judgement about most of the teams in the Portuguese, Belgian, Danish, Swedish, Greek, Austrian, Czech, Ukrainian etc etc leagues.

Examining https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_coefficient this seems to be the truth. Most European leagues have a few very good teams and the remainder are mediocre.
    On average the SPL is weaker than the championship. Celtic are essentially a bottom half premier league team, playing in league one.
    Absolutely right that most European leagues have one or two sides that are way stronger, due to European money, which makes it difficult to compare 2 leagues.
    The uefa coefficients are skewed by how good the best sides are, not the league in general.
    Operating budget is the biggest determining factor in success in football over a longer period, and Celtic and rangers aside the money in the Scottish game is dropping like a stone

No point in having the discussion about Welsh and Scottish league as you can't take the 4 biggest areas out of the Welsh league system and expect it to have any strength.

Ultimately it should be stronger but when they can't compete with conference football what can you expect.

The Scottish league benefits massively from being part of the GB as gets a massive amount of money from television which if wasn't part of that wouldn't get this.

I think Scottish people probably identify more with Scottish clubs then the Welsh

I watched the game whilst chatting to my mate who lives up in Scotland. In the beginning it looked like Rangers were going to get a lesson in football , as the game progressed they grew into the game and it was a great night for Rangers coming back from a goal down , twice. They didnt look out of place in the end . Respect to Gerrard he has picked Rangers up by the scruff of the neck, given them a shake and started to put some pride back into the club, similar to what Neil Warnock did here I guess.

Football is now a money business, there isnt a fraction of the money in Scottish football there is down here. Scottish clubs will struggle against wealthier clubs , its a fact ....

Great performance. Doing the Union Jack proud. Gerrard might actually be a decent manager.
    Pathetic.