+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Damned if you do, damned if you don’t

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t

Been dreading the over-reaction I knew would come after this game.

We could have been much tighter at the back by deciding not to attack at all, lost by fewer goals and everyone would have moaned about a lack of ambition.

Man City had us completely outclassed in every part of the pitch so we never had an outlet we could look for. This makes decision making almost impossible for the players. We’ve all played against teams like that when we were kids and we just have to look at the match as one of those occasions where we can say we saw a team of world class players at Cardiff.

I just hope the players were taking notes and tips. I’d have liked to see a bit more blocking going on as they did that well to us. Jazz did that well on Sane at one point.

Let’s see what we’ve got against Burnley - I think we’re capable of giving them a proper game.

Re: Damned if you do, damned if you don’t

Season starts next week. We may be garbage, but there are at least 2 or 3 others who also are. We've had a tough, tough start to the season, and anyone who thought we'd take anything today, other than an absolute lesson off a top 5 team in the world, is a madman. On to Burnley.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Season starts next week. We may be garbage, but there are at least 2 or 3 others who also are. We've had a tough, tough start to the season, and anyone who thought we'd take anything today, other than an absolute lesson off a top 5 team in the world, is a madman. On to Burnley.
    Indeed. I am relaxed about losing heavily to Manchester City* but if we don't show something next week then it's much harder to stay positive. Big week on the training pitch, but scroll back to just after the Arsenal game or 60 minutes into the Chelsea game and we're positive about our chances against Burnley.

*last season the following teams conceded 4+ goals to Manchester City:
    - Liverpool
    - Watford
    - Crystal Palace
    - Stoke City
    - Swansea City (twice)
    - Spurs
    - Bournemouth
    - Leicester City
    - West Ham United

That's just under half the teams in the league and only two of the above were relegated.

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    Been dreading the over-reaction I knew would come after this game.

We could have been much tighter at the back by deciding not to attack at all, lost by fewer goals and everyone would have moaned about a lack of ambition.

Man City had us completely outclassed in every part of the pitch so we never had an outlet we could look for. This makes decision making almost impossible for the players. We’ve all played against teams like that when we were kids and we just have to look at the match as one of those occasions where we can say we saw a team of world class players at Cardiff.

I just hope the players were taking notes and tips. I’d have liked to see a bit more blocking going on as they did that well to us. Jazz did that well on Sane at one point.

Let’s see what we’ve got against Burnley - I think we’re capable of giving them a proper game.
    Can't disagree with any of that.
    There were times where we seemed to be holding them pretty uncomfortably but the self belief in one or two rubbed of.

For me it was as shade naive playing two up top in this game, especially after last week, and our defence had to combat wave after wave of pressure from everywhere.

It's hard to be too critical and some perspective is required here. Favourites for the champions league badly wounded after Wednesday. No big surprise.

MC will do that to quite a few teams this season and as has been said, next week and a few thereafter are the games that really matter.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Indeed. I am relaxed about losing heavily to Manchester City* but if we don't show something next week then it's much harder to stay positive. Big week on the training pitch, but scroll back to just after the Arsenal game or 60 minutes into the Chelsea game and we're positive about our chances against Burnley.

- Liverpool
    - Watford
    - Crystal Palace
    - Stoke City
    - Swansea City (twice)
    - Spurs
    - Bournemouth
    - Leicester City
    - West Ham United

That's just under half the teams in the league and only two of the above were relegated.
    Good post.

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post

- Liverpool
    - Watford
    - Crystal Palace
    - Stoke City
    - Swansea City (twice)
    - Spurs
    - Bournemouth
    - Leicester City
    - West Ham United

And Liverpool made it to the Champions League final, so that means we are better than Barcelona

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    We aren't "garbage".