+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Europe breakaway league

Europe breakaway league

Always been against the top English teams going off and forming a breakaway European League.

But maybe it’s time. The gap from those at the top to the bottom is getting bigger all the time and is already rediculous.

What’s the point of games like today? It’s no fun for anyone, even Man City fans I’d imagine.

Can’t really have a go at the players. They’re just not at the same ability level. It’s like 11 of us playing against a League 2 team.

Yes you can spend outrageous money and get closer, but is that really sustainable?

All bit...meh

Re: Europe breakaway league

We all knew that the Premier League would be the death of football, but they still went ahead with it anyway. Greed always wins out when some see a way of having more than others. That's life!

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    We all knew that the Premier League would be the death of football, but they still went ahead with it anyway. Greed always wins out when some see a way of having more than others. That's life!
    I've posted many times that a Euro Elite League is now the only progression from our current situation.

It seems closer than ever but I've always felt it would be a positive thing.

where does it end though

as when the " Euro Elite league " lot leave to earn even more money, the middle of the EPL will take the money and move away from the rest ( as the top 1/2 of the Championship will move up to the EPL and so it starts again

The only way it would work is the EPL loses alot of its money ( which of course it will lose some, due to that going to the EEL )

Football and money went past the point of no return in money terms a long time ago

today proved again it should happen ASAP .

call it progression or whatever there's no other alternative

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post
    Always been against the top English teams going off and forming a breakaway European League.

But maybe it’s time. The gap from those at the top to the bottom is getting bigger all the time and is already rediculous.

What’s the point of games like today? It’s no fun for anyone, even Man City fans I’d imagine.

Can’t really have a go at the players. They’re just not at the same ability level. It’s like 11 of us playing against a League 2 team.

Yes you can spend outrageous money and get closer, but is that really sustainable?

All bit...meh
    This is how I was feeling today. I kept thinking to myself “what’s the point in this”? It was like watching Anthony Joshua fighting Deidre Barlow. £1 billion v £28 million.
    Meh exactly.

It makes sense to right now, using the £1bill v £28 mill theory and the position we find ourselves in, but I am not so sure the rest of the league would feel agree there is a problem, I would say 19/20 of the other clubs fanbase's are pretty happy right now. Huddersfield and Bournemough are over achieving and the later playing some nice football! The two clubs that come up with us seem to be having a good crack against the top teams and try telling your theory to a Leicester fan!

All bit...meh
    When I woke up yesterday morning and my thoughts turned to the football matches I was going to watch during the day, I can honestly say the Academy game was the one which I looked forward to more. I was surprised by that reaction, but should I have been? Of course, I would have been there celebrating like the rest of us if we had been able to repeat the 2013 outcome, but, truthfully, if we did ever become an "established" Premier League club, victories like that one would probably come along once every five years or so.

I did not enjoy yesterday's game, but also I did not get too upset about it all because it all had such a sense of inevitability to it (especially after Man City's midweek result). Watching your team play in a league game should never feel like it, but, as mentioned above, yesterday had the feel of a Cup tie between sides two or three divisions apart.

To digress a little, my opinion is that City's cause is not being helped by an attitude from some (including our manager at times) which treats this season as if we are akin to teams like Leyton Orient and Northampton from my youth and Swindon and Barnsley from the early days of the Premier League who had their one campaign in the top flight before the inevitable relegation which followed. We were promoted with ninety points which is a fairly rare achievement - we still have the nucleus of that squad and we've added some (not enough mind) good players to it, we are in this division on merit and yet we constantly get this attitude that we are just on loan to it from the Championship.

That said, even with the billionaire owner which would have seemed a pipe dream twenty, or even ten, years ago, we are still miles and miles away from the very top clubs. I've always said I'd get bored by the Premier League if we ever spent three consecutive seasons in it, but I was wrong - the thought of playing a team like Man City with all of their superstars could not excite me even before yesterday's hammering.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    This is how I was feeling today. I kept thinking to myself “what’s the point in this”? It was like watching Anthony Joshua fighting Deidre Barlow. £1 billion v £28 million.
    Meh exactly.
    You're judging top two club against bottom four club though. Midtable sides might have a different opinion.

I wonder how your proposal for a European super league would go down with the fans of newly-promoted Wolves, who have already drawn with both Manchester City and Manchester United this season? Or fans of Brighton, who beat Manchester United just a month ago? Or fans of recent Premier League champions Leicester City? Or fans of genuinely big clubs like Newcastle, Everton and West Ham?

Yesterday's game was a bit of a non-event, that's for sure, but that's more because of the way in which Cardiff City prepared for this season than anything else. Occasional drubbings like the one we saw at the CCS yesterday are pretty much inevitable for any club that attempts to compete in the Premier League with a squad that consists of Championship players.

Obviously I'm not sure of the format but if it's going to be a closed league I think it's a bad decision.

It will just mean the best clubs will get better and better and the gap will widen.

Man city certainly aren't the elite of Europe they are just fortunate had massive investment. It's the same for Chelsea. Any team can be successful if the owner throws enough money at it.

After whats happened to their club im sure a European Super League wouldnt be of much concern to loads of West Ham fans.

Even in my advanced years i normally have a tingle of excitement the night before a City game.
    I can honestly say the thought of the inevitable thrashing we were going to get just filled me with sadness, more so because of what football has become rather than the fact it was my club on the end of that thrashing.

It could be worse we could be getting thrashed at home to the likes of Hereford in front of 2000 fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    It could be worse we could be getting thrashed at home to the likes of Hereford in front of 2000 fans.
    I don't think you are getting the gist of this thread.

What would we be trying to achieve? Following city would become pointless imo although I know we are unlikely to ever win the premiership or champions league but I'm sure man city fans thought that 10/20 years ago

on a similar theme noticed 1 british player that was in the starting 11 for Arsenal today and that was our own ramsey . a few weeks ago southgate mentioning out of the 220 prem league starters only 66 were eligible to play for england . the so called top 6 clubs only 19 per cent are now eligible to play for england . if the trend continues it looks like England will be looking at championship players in the not too distance future

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...-face-13165877

to me this european league can't come quick enough .

"The foundation of the Premier League in English football occurred in the early 1990s. The first major step to its formation occurred in October 1990, when the managing director of London Weekend Television (LWT) Greg Dyke met with the representatives of the "big five" clubs - David Dein of Arsenal, Philip Carter of Everton, Noel White of Liverpool, Martin Edwards of Manchester United and Irving Scholar of Tottenham Hotspur. The meeting was to pave the way for a breakaway from the Football League. Dyke believed that it would be more lucrative for ITV if only the larger clubs in the country were featured on national television and wanted to establish whether the clubs would be interested in a larger share of television rights money."

Interesting how ITV got gazumped by Sky and ended up with no football, and Everton were squeezed out by Chelsea and Manchester City to become one of the also-rans.

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    on a similar theme noticed 1 british player that was in the starting 11 for Arsenal today and that was our own ramsey . a few weeks ago southgate mentioning out of the 220 prem league starters only 66 were eligible to play for england . the so called top 6 clubs only 19 per cent are now eligible to play for england . if the trend continues it looks like England will be looking at championship players in the not too distance future

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...-face-13165877

to me this european league can't come quick enough .
    Don’t think there was any in the Chelsea starting 11