Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post
Always been against the top English teams going off and forming a breakaway European League.

But maybe it’s time. The gap from those at the top to the bottom is getting bigger all the time and is already rediculous.

What’s the point of games like today? It’s no fun for anyone, even Man City fans I’d imagine.

Can’t really have a go at the players. They’re just not at the same ability level. It’s like 11 of us playing against a League 2 team.

Yes you can spend outrageous money and get closer, but is that really sustainable?

All bit...meh
When I woke up yesterday morning and my thoughts turned to the football matches I was going to watch during the day, I can honestly say the Academy game was the one which I looked forward to more. I was surprised by that reaction, but should I have been? Of course, I would have been there celebrating like the rest of us if we had been able to repeat the 2013 outcome, but, truthfully, if we did ever become an "established" Premier League club, victories like that one would probably come along once every five years or so.

I did not enjoy yesterday's game, but also I did not get too upset about it all because it all had such a sense of inevitability to it (especially after Man City's midweek result). Watching your team play in a league game should never feel like it, but, as mentioned above, yesterday had the feel of a Cup tie between sides two or three divisions apart.

To digress a little, my opinion is that City's cause is not being helped by an attitude from some (including our manager at times) which treats this season as if we are akin to teams like Leyton Orient and Northampton from my youth and Swindon and Barnsley from the early days of the Premier League who had their one campaign in the top flight before the inevitable relegation which followed. We were promoted with ninety points which is a fairly rare achievement - we still have the nucleus of that squad and we've added some (not enough mind) good players to it, we are in this division on merit and yet we constantly get this attitude that we are just on loan to it from the Championship.

That said, even with the billionaire owner which would have seemed a pipe dream twenty, or even ten, years ago, we are still miles and miles away from the very top clubs. I've always said I'd get bored by the Premier League if we ever spent three consecutive seasons in it, but I was wrong - the thought of playing a team like Man City with all of their superstars could not excite me even before yesterday's hammering.