+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Stewards

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Stewards

Just wondering your opinions on this incident today. I sold a spare season ticket to a tidy young man after advertising it on social media, I met the man at the ground and we went in together, he gave me the ticket back and I asked him if he was coming to sit by us (Canton stand), he replied “no, he was meeting his mates and going by them”. 20 minutes into the game he rang me to say the stewards were putting him out because he had no ticket, I went down to the concourse to explain to the stewards that I had the ticket he used to get in.
    They claim he had told them he used a paper ticket so they were chucking him out anyway, I said , the seat next to me was empty so why could he not come up by us which is where he should have been anyway, the stewards didn’t want to know. Apparently where he was with his mates there was overcrowding so the stewards started checking tickets,an therefore this problem arose.
    I think the stewards could have just let him come up by us where the seat was empty , he had paid to get in and got kicked out on 20mins. I think the stewards were being a bit cocky to be honest , but some were better than others. A yellow jacket goes to their head a bit.

Re: Stewards

Quote Originally Posted by Neathblue63 View Post
    Just wondering your opinions on this incident today. I sold a spare season ticket to a tidy young man after advertising it on social media, I met the man at the ground and we went in together, he gave me the ticket back and I asked him if he was coming to sit by us (Canton stand), he replied “no, he was meeting his mates and going by them”. 20 minutes into the game he rang me to say the stewards were putting him out because he had no ticket, I went down to the concourse to explain to the stewards that I had the ticket he used to get in.
    They claim he had told them he used a paper ticket so they were chucking him out anyway, I said , the seat next to me was empty so why could he not come up by us which is where he should have been anyway, the stewards didn’t want to know. Apparently where he was with his mates there was overcrowding so the stewards started checking tickets,an therefore this problem arose.
    I think the stewards could have just let him come up by us where the seat was empty , he had paid to get in and got kicked out on 20mins. I think the stewards were being a bit cocky to be honest , but some were better than others. A yellow jacket goes to their head a bit.
    Why do you think he would have stayed next to you rather than just go back to his mates and overcrowding that area?

Strictly speaking season tickets are not transferable. If he had just gone where he was supposed to have he wouldn’t have been kicked out.
    It can be a bit of a pain in the arse when people try and squeeze their mates in and you end up being pushed out from your own spot or they end up standing in front of you and blocking your view.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    Strictly speaking season tickets are not transferable. If he had just gone where he was supposed to have he wouldn’t have been kicked out.
    It can be a bit of a pain in the arse when people try and squeeze their mates in and you end up being pushed out from your own spot or they end up standing in front of you and blocking your view.
    Yeah, I get that but I thought they could have just let him go to the correct seat with a warning. Should have sat there in the first place I agree.

Yeah, I get that but I thought they could have just let him go to the correct seat with a warning. Should have sat there in the first place I agree.
    It was noticeable how much more strict the sterwarding was today. They were monitoring the lights on the turnstiles, which I haven’t seen them do for ages, and checking everyone going up the steps into the stands.
    They do tend to do this more for the big games as people are more likely to flog tickets on to other people which can cause exactly the sort of problems you described.

I imagine that 8 or 9 times out of 10 they let the fan go to the right seat and it works out fine.

He was probably aggressive to them or something else had happened. If checking tickets he could have just said he was going back to his seat, they would have no reason to chuck him out just because he wanted to sit by his mates.

Its a tough job ,and I'm guessing there under pressure to get this right .

If he had shown a paper ticket,or ST, he might have been relocated to the correct seat. With no evidence of where he should be, stewards probably had no choice but to show him the door. This happened right by us. The lad in question went without a fuss and,yes, stewarding was a bit tighter than normal. Talking to a steward at Chelsea one security issue cropping up now is a potential terrorist attack on a player (on the pitch, live on tv being the implication). With high value players around, maybe we will see tighter stewarding at all PL matches, starting with sorting out overcrowding.
    I presume the overcrowding was picked up on CCTV as there was a whisper someone had complained about it.