+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Are we going to play the plucky star struck underdog until we're relegated?

Are we going to play the plucky star struck underdog until we're relegated?

I'm fully behind Warnock but I'm not sure with the way the management and some players talk pre and post game that they truly feel they belong.

I am by no means calling for him to be sacked either but as a fan it seems the same old story against the better sides certainly.
    Now nine times out of ten (and maybe more) we get beaten by the big sides but they do have off days and this praising every team that rolls in to town is getting a bit much.

The fans seem to be approaching the game with the mindset of turning up to see these all conquering heroes playing for the opposition helped in large part by our press conferences providing the backdrop to this.

If we're going to stay up we need to beat those around us and, God forbid, upset some of the better teams in this league.

I know why Warnock is doing it and lowering expectations somewhat but it is a bit galling to hear the hard luck story week in, week out and it doesn't seem the noises coming out of the club are one that wants to be the spoiling, tough tackling side that we need to be to be in with half a chance of getting something from games this season.

Re: Are we going to play the plucky star struck underdog until we're relegated?

Totally agree. I’ve just said the same in another thread.

Starting to get fed up of Warnock and his David v Goliath attitude every game.

Yes City are a wonderful team, and Hazard is a top player but I don’t want to hear our manager waxing lyrical about them before a ball is kicked.

You can excuse it to a certain degree with the top, top clubs but he does it before every game, even against Bournemouth, Newcastle and Huddersfield he’s done it.

Would be nice to hear him back his own horse once in a while!

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    I'm fully behind Warnock but I'm not sure with the way the management and some players talk pre and post game that they truly feel they belong.

I am by no means calling for him to be sacked either but as a fan it seems the same old story against the better sides certainly.
    Now nine times out of ten (and maybe more) we get beaten by the big sides but they do have off days and this praising every team that rolls in to town is getting a bit much.

The fans seem to be approaching the game with the mindset of turning up to see these all conquering heroes playing for the opposition helped in large part by our press conferences providing the backdrop to this.

If we're going to stay up we need to beat those around us and, God forbid, upset some of the better teams in this league.

I know why Warnock is doing it and lowering expectations somewhat but it is a bit galling to hear the hard luck story week in, week out and it doesn't seem the noises coming out of the club are one that wants to be the spoiling, tough tackling side that we need to be to be in with half a chance of getting something from games this season.
    Good post.

Well you won’t have to wait long.
    Next week is a game against another side who’ve struggled at the start and not spent much.

It’s a massive one for us and one we should go into as an equal.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Well you won’t have to wait long.
    Next week is a game against another side who’ve struggled at the start and not spent much.

It’s a massive one for us and one we should go into as an equal.
    Well let’s see how Warnock plays his press conference Friday shall we.

I have just watched Match of the Day on Sky+ and the brief bit by Morrison mentions them as having some of the best players in the world as if the defeat was inevitable. It seems to be sweeping through the squad too.
    It is not really the mindset to be approaching games like this and it needs to change if we're going to stand any chance.

Yes they are some of the best players in the world, it is after all one of the best leagues in the world.
    We have been promoted to that league on merit and I had hoped that the players wouldn't approach it with a 'we'll give it a go but we'll probably get beaten as they're better than us' attitude.

Let's not beat about the bush here but we were bad yesterday. We offered next to nothing going forward. I can't remember a time when we got close enough to put in a decent tackle and it had a feeling of a friendly which should never be the case.
    Some of those defensive mistakes and misplaced passes would have been bad against Lincoln City let alone Man City.

We can be better and have to be if we stand a chance. There needs to be a change in attitude and application.
    I expected more from our squad if I'm honest, especially this early on.

Our passing was non existent yesterday
    I’ve noticed for a couple of goals this season , Morrison last year throwing his body on the line to block shots at our goal , a few times this season, Arsenal and yesterday he turns his back to the ball in a half hearted attempt to block the shot
    Morrison last year was the epitome of what we were all about and couldn’t do no wrong in my eyes ,
    Left me wondering what’s changed

Also just want add , we all know how good man city are anyway but if you give them even more space, on quite a few occasions we were leaving players on there own without tracking back with them , Hoilett for example on few occasions just left his man getting drawn to the ball and they cut us open time and time again

Quote Originally Posted by walinoz View Post
    Our passing was non existent yesterday
    I’ve noticed for a couple of goals this season , Morrison last year throwing his body on the line to block shots at our goal , a few times this season, Arsenal and yesterday he turns his back to the ball in a half hearted attempt to block the shot
    Morrison last year was the epitome of what we were all about and couldn’t do no wrong in my eyes ,
    Left me wondering what’s changed
    A comment I heard yesterday was that we seem to have lost the basic ingredients of what took us up in the first place.

I expect at least 100% from players and a lot were left chasing shadows yesterday.
    We have a cheaper squad than anybody else in the league. We get that and anybody with half an ounce of sense knows that. We also had a cheaper squad than many in the Championship last season but still out performed them as a team.

The sooner we drop the 'happy to be here and take part' attitude the better imo. I think Pep and his comments had an effect. City need to be dogged and a bit nastier than they have been as trying to simply turn up and outplay some of the best footballing sides at their own game is not going to achieve anything. The vast majority of this league are average teams who we could and should be given more than they bargained for but we need to change the mindset from fans through to players including the management.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    A comment I heard yesterday was that we seem to have lost the basic ingredients of what took us up in the first place.

I expect at least 100% from players and a lot were left chasing shadows yesterday.
    We have a cheaper squad than anybody else in the league. We get that and anybody with half an ounce of sense knows that. We also had a cheaper squad than many in the Championship last season but still out performed them as a team.

The sooner we drop the 'happy to be here and take part' attitude the better imo. I think Pep and his comments had an effect. City need to be dogged and a bit nastier than they have been as trying to simply turn up and outplay some of the best footballing sides at their own game is not going to achieve anything. The vast majority of this league are average teams who we could and should be given more than they bargained for but we need to change the mindset from fans through to players including the management.
    I’m a diehard but it has been difficult to watch the last 2 games to be honest. I get zero enjoyment out of seeing us play against sides that destroy us - I was distracted enough yesterday to just have the game on in the background so I know we got totally outclassed but didn’t have to suffer the whole thing.

The Arsenal game before that was exciting though so at this moment that’s really the positive thing I’m taking forward.

When we play the top 6 though I’m going to load my fantasy team with players from the teams we’re playing. Other than betting against us (which I won’t do) it’s the only way I can get a positive out of these games

I've got a feeling that this season might be all about trying to save money in order to cut some of our previous losses. The signings we made never seemed like a serious attempt was being made to cement our place in the Premier League. You can't blame the boss for not wanting to get burned twice though.

Our Neil needs to return to his old combative self instead of persisting with the wanky PR stuff.

"Virtually every bookmaker make us favourite to win Sunday's fixture, and rightly so. While we respect Burnley, we certainly don't fear them and we're intent on taking three points," is what he should say instead of bum boy shite the like of: "Sean Dyche is an immensely talented manager. His Burnley side represent a colossal challenge. We'll give it a good go and hope it's enough".

I agree with the main sentiment of this thread. Enough sightseeing now, let’s get on with being Cardiff City.

I hope Burnley is a nasty niggling game that we win...

I think what they say in public and private are two completely different things.

Warnock bigged up most opposition last year also. Great fans, great club, super players, they spent a lot etc etc.

If NW stated openly that we were going to easily beat the likes of Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Tottenham and Arsenal he would be laughed out of town. He knows that, even if we played to the best of our ability, the likelihood is that we would get beaten nine times out of ten by these teams. By reducing expectations for these types of games he is taking pressure off the players in the hope that they rise to the occasion and pick up the odd point or two against the 'big guns'. We could easily have got a point against Arsenal and did well at Chelsea for 80 minutes. It all went wrong against Man City but that is no reason to start pulling apart the tactics and criticising the manager and players. Its what he does in training and says in private to the players that counts. Most fans can see that - some cant or dont want to.