+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our defence -and the changes made

Our defence -and the changes made

Was yesterday the time to change out back four , was very strange decision imo to do that with the champions coming to town

Re: Our defence -and the changes made

Putting peltier in was a joke he's a decent player at a mid table championship team at best, we really needed to buy a RB

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Putting peltier in was a joke he's a decent player at a mid table championship team at best, we really needed to buy a RB
    And yet we bought a back up left back?!?

The mind boggles

Can't believe Warnock would do it, but was Bennett dropped because of any aftermath of the Sane thing back in January?

Quote Originally Posted by Gnojek View Post
    Can't believe Warnock would do it, but was Bennett dropped because of any aftermath of the Sane thing back in January?
    That’s what I thought initially , then I thought about hazards first goal against us last week where Bennett was at fault , but would he drop him for that , so I’m guessing it was because Of Sane , still , strange decisions by our Neil

The defence is worrying. We are leaking avoidable goals and too many in general. 13 in 5 games and although the recent fixtures have been tough you cannot defend like we did at times and hope to win any game.

Quote Originally Posted by chepstow View Post
    The defence is worrying. We are leaking avoidable goals and too many in general. 13 in 5 games and although the recent fixtures have been tough you cannot defend like we did at times and hope to win any game.
    It's a good thing that our defence is our strongest attribute, or it could have been much worse!

Morrison has been a big disappointment for me he looks nervous all the time

I didn’t like seeing a captains head drop like it did yesterday. He should have been cajoling the rest of the troops but he wasn’t the only one. Reminder me when I played junior football when you’re hammering the other team and they keep asking the ref how long left cos they just want it over.

I inclined to agree. He was outstanding last season and I thought he might be able to make the step up. He already looks like he's had enough.

There is no point berating individuals. The simple fact is Manchester City were far too good for us.

To change 3 of the back 4 for a game against Man City was a really bad decision by Warnock. Changing the two centres backs I could understand as Bamba has not been great. But neither has Morrison. Why Cunningham was given a start i don't know, so you have the two left sided defenders playing together for the first time against the best team in the PL. By moving Manga obviously a different right back had to come in, and Peltier is obviously ahead of Richards in the pecking order.

Not sure what the mindset of Peltier or Richards is, as Manga keeps being preferred ahead of them. It's a shame we didn't have 2 Mangas! And playing 4-4-2 v Man City was asking for trouble, as with 5 in midfield we could have tried to stifle them a bit.

Whenever Holiett plays on the right I don't think he plays well. But to have him on the right and then play Arter wide left was just plain silly. Warnock has to take the blame for the team selection.

The sad thing is that we can visibly see the confidence being drained from players who were so good last year. Morrison, Bamba and Holiett being the main three , as well as Zohore and Ralls.

What Warnock is now also doing, and what many struggling teams do is constantly change the team after bad results, so the confidence and continuity that was built last year is no sadly in tatters.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    To change 3 of the back 4 for a game against Man City was a really bad decision by Warnock. Changing the two centres backs I could understand as Bamba has not been great. But neither has Morrison. Why Cunningham was given a start i don't know, so you have the two left sided defenders playing together for the first time against the best team in the PL. By moving Manga obviously a different right back had to come in, and Peltier is obviously ahead of Richards in the pecking order.

Not sure what the mindset of Peltier or Richards is, as Manga keeps being preferred ahead of them. It's a shame we didn't have 2 Mangas! And playing 4-4-2 v Man City was asking for trouble, as with 5 in midfield we could have tried to stifle them a bit.

Whenever Holiett plays on the right I don't think he plays well. But to have him on the right and then play Arter wide left was just plain silly. Warnock has to take the blame for the team selection.

The sad thing is that we can visibly see the confidence being drained from players who were so good last year. Morrison, Bamba and Holiett being the main three , as well as Zohore and Ralls.

What Warnock is now also doing, and what many struggling teams do is constantly change the team after bad results, so the confidence and continuity that was built last year is no sadly in tatters.
    Exactly how I saw it, I find it odd that against the big teams he's gone open as if we will lose either way but watching west ham you can upset the apple cart and gain a point

Exactly how I saw it, I find it odd that against the big teams he's gone open as if we will lose either way but watching west ham you can upset the apple cart and gain a point
    Spot on

As I understood it both Bamba and Bennett were injured in training (sounded like a collision), hence being on the bench rather than starting.

With Gunnars and NM-L injured, and Kadeem and Madine seemingly not considered good enough to risk, then there are 8 players (inc the 2 sub goalies) out of 25 we can't pick to influence the outfield team, so our matchday team picks itself really. We don't exactly have riches to bring on to change things.

Teams like Man City can bring in extra players who are U-23, such as Foden, to take pressure off the main squad if necessary. I don't think we have a single U-23 player who would make the matchday squad.

This season is just going to be hard and I'm delighted most of our fans yesterday understood that and continued to support the players.

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    As I understood it both Bamba and Bennett were injured in training (sounded like a collision), hence being on the bench rather than starting.

With Gunnars and NM-L injured, and Kadeem and Madine seemingly not considered good enough to risk, then there are 8 players (inc the 2 sub goalies) out of 25 we can't pick to influence the outfield team, so our matchday team picks itself really. We don't exactly have riches to bring on to change things.

Teams like Man City can bring in extra players who are U-23, such as Foden, to take pressure off the main squad if necessary. I don't think we have a single U-23 player who would make the matchday squad.

This season is just going to be hard and I'm delighted most of our fans yesterday understood that and continued to support the players.
    I think we could've spent at least 50 million, playing Arter on the left yesterday against walker and sterling was criminal imo

I think we could've spent at least 50 million, playing Arter on the left yesterday against walker and sterling was criminal imo
    It never ceases to amaze me how happy fans are to spend money that we may not have or could use elsewhere. If you want a say on what we spend then put your own money in. I'm sure the fans will be hugely grateful for your contribution...

On a serious note, we did need to get more players in and NW has noted that himself, but you can't force people to come and I genuinely think we'll attract better players in the Championship than we will in the Prem, unless we can somehow stay up this year.

No-one wants to play in a side likely to be relegation favourites unless you pay them outrageous amounts of money. You only need to see the problems many of the relegated sides have with managing stupid contracts on a drastically reduced income and that could easily be us. I reckon we could have spent what Wolves and Fulham did and still be nowhere near good enough to stay up. Look at how difficult Fulham are finding it and they were a far better equipped side than us on paper when they got promotion.

I genuinely think we will have to be relegated to build a side good enough to stay in the Premiership - IF we were to get promoted again. I think that is the Plan B this season and I'm happy to go along with it given the almost impossible task of completely changing the side we had in the space of a few weeks.

I don’t really subscribe to this theory that if we go down, we have a strong team to come back up.
    Firstly, much stronger sides than ours have been relegated and struggled to come back up, promotion from the Championship is a bloody hard ask. Secondly, if we did go down and did manage to come straight back up, then we would be in pretty much the same position as we are now where we have to try and stay up.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    I don’t really subscribe to this theory that if we go down, we have a strong team to come back up.
    Firstly, much stronger sides than ours have been relegated and struggled to come back up, promotion from the Championship is a bloody hard ask. Secondly, if we did go down and did manage to come straight back up, then we would be in pretty much the same position as we are now where we have to try and stay up.
    Good post. Look at the money Villa and Derby have spent trying to get promoted the last few seasons and failed. If we go down the side will break up anyway, Arter and Camarassa will go back to their clubs and we may well get offers for the likes of Reid, Murphy and Etheridge. Last season we were a mid table championship side that massively overachieved to get autos thanks to a brilliant manager and great team ethic.

Agreed. In the first half against Man City he almost scored 2 own goals.
    I hope it was nerves as the other alternative is he is simply clumsy and has no basic ability with the ball at his feet.

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    Agreed. In the first half against Man City he almost scored 2 own goals.
    I hope it was nerves as the other alternative is he is simply clumsy and has no basic ability with the ball at his feet.
    I put this on another thread re Morrison
    Morrison last year throwing his body on the line to block shots at our goal , a few times this season, Arsenal and yesterday he turns his back to the ball in a half hearted attempt to block the shot
    Morrison last year was the epitome of what we were all about and couldn’t do no wrong in my eyes ,
    Left me wondering what’s change

Quote Originally Posted by walinoz View Post
    I put this on another thread re Morrison
    Morrison last year throwing his body on the line to block shots at our goal , a few times this season, Arsenal and yesterday he turns his back to the ball in a half hearted attempt to block the shot
    Morrison last year was the epitome of what we were all about and couldn’t do no wrong in my eyes ,
    Left me wondering what’s change

You could make the same criticisms of Bamba also ?

Yea probably
    at fault for 1 against Bournemouth 2 against Arsenal and the pen at Chelsea

If the changes were not made due to injuries I find it a bit surprising. Players are going to make mistakes but doesn't stop them being our best players.

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    If the changes were not made due to injuries I find it a bit surprising. Players are going to make mistakes but doesn't stop them being our best players.
    Thats true enough which begs the question of wether our defensive players are good enough formmthe league they are playing in?
    The answer is probably not?