+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Just watched

Just watched

Calzaghe v Lacy still makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck greatest ever British boxer for me

Re: Just watched

Quote Originally Posted by Since64 View Post
    Calzaghe v Lacy still makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck greatest ever British boxer for me
    Bloody 'ell.. I was watching a re-run of that fight only the other night. Calzaghe handed out a masterclass in boxing that evening. He first out boxed Lacy and then he bullied him. I also watched a video where the pair met not too long ago - they showed total respect towards each other, Lacy saying that whenever in boxing circles Calzaghe's name would ALWAYS be mentioned.

Any fighter that was planning on getting into the ring with Joe first of all needed to get into the best shape of their career.. even that wouldn't be enough though. Calzaghe would always dictate how the fight would be fought. I particularly liked the way he dismantled Roy Jones, to the point that Jones was humiliated - Jones took delight in doing the same thing to most of his opponents...I'm sure in the build up to that fight Calzaghe vowed to himself that he'd never let that happen and he gave Jones a taste of his own medicine. Coming from a good Christian background that sort of behaviour would go against the grain for Joe but he clearly wanted Jones to know what it felt like.

Calzaghe had to redefine his game after suffering such serious hand damage, he was a big hitter in his early career, maybe it was meant to be, because had he retained that punching power allied to his speed and work rate it doesn't bare thinking of how destructive he'd have been...

Re: Just watched