+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: "Neil Warnock dangerously close to being sacked."

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: "Neil Warnock dangerously close to being sacked."

Quote Originally Posted by ken smith View Post
    Who could we have got for an extra £9m that would make a difference (and want to come here) though.
    That’s a managers job! Huddersfield’s manager did it. There are thousands of footballers all over the world. That’s a kop out question, anybody who doesn’t want to think can pose that question.

You cant deny that an extra 9 million would potentially give you a greater chance of survival. Besides, I think Hudds spent more like 50 million

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    That’s a managers job! Huddersfield’s manager did it. There are thousands of footballers all over the world. That’s a kop out question, anybody who doesn’t want to think can pose that question.

You cant deny that an extra 9 million would potentially give you a greater chance of survival. Besides, I think Hudds spent more like 50 million
    "All over the world" are important words there as well - for example, Gross, arguably Brighton's most influential player last season, cost them just a £1.5 million transfer fee. I may be wrong, but I can't help thinking that we learned of Camarasa's availability on the weekend we played Betis and, although there were rumours about us signing German midfielders who played for Turkish clubs, we stayed firmly in the domestic market with it's inflated prices, even for lower division players.

Also, I think we may well have Warnock going for different players to the ones we signed if we had another £10 million to spend, so it's not quite the same as saying we could only sign players for £9 million or less.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    "All over the world" are important words there as well - for example, Gross, arguably Brighton's most influential player last season, cost them just a £1.5 million transfer fee. I may be wrong, but I can't help thinking that we learned of Camarasa's availability on the weekend we played Betis and, although there were rumours about us signing German midfielders who played for Turkish clubs, we stayed firmly in the domestic market with it's inflated prices, even for lower division players.

Also, I think we may well have Warnock going for different players to the ones we signed if we had another £10 million to spend, so it's not quite the same as saying we could only sign players for £9 million or less.
    I've mentioned this a few times, but when we got promoted in 2013, Tan was quick to suggest we don't need to spend millions on a top striker as Swansea only spent £2m on Michu.

I think it's safe to say that Tan is more a businessman than a knowledgeable football person, but it's a statement that always worried me. Is Tan really thinking we don't need to spend millions, we just need the right management team? There is some sort of truth to it - some players work better with certain managers and certain environments, but any thought that it's relatively easy to create a great team without spending lots is nonsense.