+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Mo Salah wins FIFA goal of the year award

Mo Salah wins FIFA goal of the year award

This goal was was apparantly the goal of the year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ8XGUgvoAM

bang average goal

Re: Mo Salah wins FIFA goal of the year award

They have to have chosen the wrong Salah goal to show. He'd scored loads better than that last year!

Bale woz robbed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QaxN6fQyFY

does seem like the odd one out

"Bang average"

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    "Bang average"
    Not even joking, he is a quality player but that goal really is not special, Liverpool fans themselves admit that is nowhere near his best goal of last year. Literally beats a player and cuts inside the box, Messi, hazard ect scored dozens of goals like that last season.

and I am not even being a but hurt bale fan, I thought Pavards goal should have been up there

"Bang average"
    It's a great goal. Is it even the best goal scored by Salah last season? Probably not.

"Bang average"
    In terms of a normal goal, obviously it's not average, way above.

In terms of, say, motd goal of the month, I'd say it's a probable winner for the footwork but compared to most monthly winners it's average.

Easily the weakest FIFA goal of the year. When you look at previous winners they have something unique about them. This is in no way unique. It only won because it was done by internet vote.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    In terms of, say, motd goal of the month, I'd say it's a probable winner for the footwork but compared to most monthly winners it's average.
    It didn't even win GotM last season, Jermain Defoe's goal against Palace did (deservedly).

Edit: here it is
    https://www.premierleague.com/video/single/591115

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    It didn't even win GotM last season, Jermain Defoe's goal against Palace did (deservedly).

Edit: here it is
    https://www.premierleague.com/video/single/591115
    Defoe is underrated. He's been a consistent double figure striker for seasons and scores all types of goals - poacher, one on one breaking the defence, outside of the box pile-drivers, curlers, chips.

It's worth looking into YouTube for a compilation to see how many of his goals are actually really good.

How doesn't Bale win that? Surely you take everything into consideration.

An overhead kick in a champions league final to take the lead. Rubbish that.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    How doesn't Bale win that? Surely you take everything into consideration.

An overhead kick in a champions league final to take the lead. Rubbish that.
    Public vote. All the Liverpool fans over the world voted for it.

Congrats @MoSalah on your 7th best goal from last season winning goal of the year

....James Milner on twitter

He does well to win and keep the ball and the shot is sublime. However, I agree that even Salah scored better goals last season let alone Bale's CL Final goal.

To address the "public vote" thing: Do Liverpool have more fans worldwide than Real, Barca or Man U?

If the vote was swung by Liverpool fans, I would assume it's no coincidence that the goal scored against Everton.

He does well to win and keep the ball and the shot is sublime. However, I agree that even Salah scored better goals last season let alone Bale's CL Final goal.

To address the "public vote" thing: Do Liverpool have more fans worldwide than Real, Barca or Man U?

If the vote was swung by Liverpool fans, I would assume it's no coincidence that the goal scored against Everton.
    To address the public vote thought, there were no Barca or man utd nominees and two from Madrid (split the vote?).

This is a good reason not to have a public vote though. It's instantly biased against any player from non-giant club.

Who were the other nominees?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Who were the other nominees?
    Here are all 10 nominees:

Gareth Bale (Real Madrid)
    Denis Cheryshev (Russia)
    Lazaros Christodoulopoulos (AEK Athens)
    Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid)
    Giorgian De Arrascaeta (Cruzeiro)
    Riley McGree (Newcastle Jets)
    Lionel Messi (Argentina)
    Benjamin Pavard (France)
    Ricardo Quaresma (Portugal)
    Mohamed Salah (Liverpool)

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Here are all 10 nominees:

Gareth Bale (Real Madrid)
    Denis Cheryshev (Russia)
    Lazaros Christodoulopoulos (AEK Athens)
    Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid)
    Giorgian De Arrascaeta (Cruzeiro)
    Riley McGree (Newcastle Jets)
    Lionel Messi (Argentina)
    Benjamin Pavard (France)
    Ricardo Quaresma (Portugal)
    Mohamed Salah (Liverpool)
    Oh man there are some cracking ones on that list.
    The touch on the Messi goal to take it away from the defender on the volley while at full sprint, without hitting it too far was just perfection

Public votes are daft, just like referendums but that's for another time. Dani Alves played 16 games in 2018 but is in the team of the year. Courtois is the best keeper in the world, but is in the third team because of course. Salah came 3rd overall, didn't make the first team.

Just read an article that suggests it was an Egyptian swing in the votes that did it, apparently he has god-like status over there, and Liverpool have recorded millions of extra foreign viewers for televised games due to the Salah factor.

The fact Salah has not played for the two main, massive clubs who have a bitter rivalry has also kept him 'pure' for Egyptian football fans to like him across the board.