+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Have we become too soft ?

Have we become too soft ?

Only Man City ( and Bournemouth by 1) have committed less fouls than us this season, and they have always got the ball.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/prem...wettbewerb/GB1

Look at the teams above us and they are mostly dominant in possession.

Should we be breaking play up a bit more with some sneaky fouls ?

Are we a bit naive?

Re: Have we become too soft ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Only Man City ( and Bournemouth by 1) have committed less fouls than us this season, and they have always got the ball.

Are we a bit naive?
    Not everyone's cup of tea but there was a quote about 10-15 years ago about WWE wrestling which may have some relevance. One person said the show had gone from people pretend violence and viewers believing they were really hurting each other to real violence and viewers assuming it was all pretend.

We are getting criticised for being a Warnock side without getting any of the benefit from that. We're a poor man's attractive football side really. Even against Wolves at home last year we were more determined to shake off a reputation rather than do anything to win.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Not everyone's cup of tea but there was a quote about 10-15 years ago about WWE wrestling which may have some relevance. One person said the show had gone from people pretend violence and viewers believing they were really hurting each other to real violence and viewers assuming it was all pretend.

We are getting criticised for being a Warnock side without getting any of the benefit from that. We're a poor man's attractive football side really. Even against Wolves at home last year we were more determined to shake off a reputation rather than do anything to win.
    My original quote was a little bit tongue in cheek, but now every tackle is being analysed under a microscope, then perhaps our players are a bit circumspect, knowing there are thousands out there who can’t wait to stick the knife in.

The truth is, we aren’t a dirty side. There’s no one in our first team who I would call a dirty player.

Peltier and maybe Madine are the closest we’ve got.

My original quote was a little bit tongue in cheek, but now every tackle is being analysed under a microscope, then perhaps our players are a bit circumspect, knowing there are thousands out there who can’t wait to stick the knife in.

The truth is, we aren’t a dirty side. There’s no one in our first team who I would call a dirty player.

Peltier and maybe Madine are the closest we’ve got.
    And Arter, forgot about him.
    He’s been responsible for most of our bookings, but I didn’t think he was a dirty player at Bournemouth

I'd agree, although in fairness City should have had two players sent off already this season.

I couldn't help wondering on Saturday what the score would have been had Bamba played. I was initially surprised he was left out, but after watching the likes of Aguero, Sane and Sterling dancing around in the penalty area I think he would have been a certainty to give away at least one penalty.

What do you make of Morrison so far this season, Tim? He looked solid last year and was one of the few I thought could possibly make the step up, but he looks low on confidence to me at the moment.

And Arter, forgot about him.
    He’s been responsible for most of our bookings, but I didn’t think he was a dirty player at Bournemouth
    Arter is a naughty little scamp .

We aren't dirty, aggressive or nasty enough.

All the over the top media reaction is down to Warnocks past other the last 30 odd years of football. We weren't a dirty side last season and aren't this but last season we could over power teams.

Against man City I honestly wouldn't have been disappointed had we stuck everyone behind the ball, played with aggression and fouled them a lot more.

They would have beaten us still but would have been harder for them and far less enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I'd agree, although in fairness City should have had two players sent off already this season.

I couldn't help wondering on Saturday what the score would have been had Bamba played. I was initially surprised he was left out, but after watching the likes of Aguero, Sane and Sterling dancing around in the penalty area I think he would have been a certainty to give away at least one penalty.

What do you make of Morrison so far this season, Tim? He looked solid last year and was one of the few I thought could possibly make the step up, but he looks low on confidence to me at the moment.
    Morrison was excellent in the first 3 games, I just think he’s been nervous when he’s come up against the real top players at Arsenal, Man City and Chelsea. He wasn’t the only one. Manga looked the only one of our back 4 who wasn’t overawed- until he passed it straight to Mahrez 😂

I’d expect him to be back to normal next week.

As for the sendings off then from what I’ve seen of other sides, then most clubs ‘could have’ had more players sent off.

Just glad the refs are using a bit of common sense otherwise we’d hardly see an 11v 11 game

This whole season has come off as more of a PR stunt than serious survival campaign so far

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    This whole season has come off as more of a PR stunt than serious survival campaign so far

I just think our tactical approach this season has completely changed with the ball players we have acquired.
    It has meant that when we have the ball we aren't as high up the pitch, are not playing a high press and as a consequence, not getting as many biting tackles in.
    Add to this the quality and speed of the opposition and the reason it might look like we have gone soft is clear.

Most of us were happy to see the change from the seemingly constant long ball of last season.

We had chances to beat Newcastle and Huddersfield. Had we done so, I don't think there would be half as much criticism or pessimism.

Are we a bit naive?
    I'm not one to condone dirty play, but a team like us should never be third in the least free kicks conceded table in the Premier League! One of the cliches I heard about us last season was that we were a side that others hated playing against - I don't think one of our opponents so far would come close to thinking that, I'm sure Man City would love to play us every week after last Saturday.

I was so looking forward to us being touted as awful ,evil to quote Warnock a rash, we are way too nice .

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post

Not doing much this season thus far defensively. Obviosuly useful at set pieces. I was going to suggest a Bamba and Manga centre back partnership tomorrow with Morrison on the bench, but thought I would be fired down on here for it.
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I'm not one to condone dirty play, but a team like us should never be third in the least free kicks conceded table in the Premier League! One of the cliches I heard about us last season was that we were a side that others hated playing against - I don't think one of our opponents so far would come close to thinking that, I'm sure Man City would love to play us every week after last Saturday.
    A few weeks ago on MOTD2 they talked about us being too passive defensively. I generally agreed with that comment, but you were convinced that Ian Wright and whoever the other pundit was (I forget) were being too negative towards us.

Quote Originally Posted by Sloop_Jon_Bee View Post
    Not doing much this season thus far defensively. Obviosuly useful at set pieces. I was going to suggest a Bamba and Manga centre back partnership tomorrow with Morrison on the bench, but thought I would be fired down on here for it.
    Spedger
    He had a great chance to win the game at Huddersfield. Wondering if that has knocked him?