+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Writing off games against the Top 6

Writing off games against the Top 6

Seen a few posters do this, including Always Aways bizarre league table, and Pedro made a passive comment yesterday (not his first on the subject) that we can “kiss goodbye” to games against the big 6, but you can’t just write 12 games off from a 38 game season if you have any ambition of staying in this league.

Last season newly promoted Huddersfield took 5 points off the top 6 including away points at Citeh and Chelsea in the run in.

Brighton, also newly promoted, took 7 points with a point against Spurs and a win against Man U guiding them to safety in the run-in

Of the 3 relegated sides Jacks took 7, Stoke 4, and West Brom took 10!!!

So those being so passive about games v the big 6 need to think again because, believe it or not, the big do drop points against the lesser teams in this division.

Different league I know but Barcelona lost to the bottom of the table Leganes midweek so shock results can happen, but not if we approach games already beaten which has been the case last 2 games, last week especially.

Sadly that approach hasn’t just been from the fans but also I feel last week the manager and players were already beaten before they stepped on the pitch.

Re: Writing off games against the Top 6

I agree, warnocks formations and tactics have been bizarre against the so called big 6, who goes 442 against Man City? I wasn’t expecting anything from the game but to at least try and compete in midfield gundogen could’ve played there on his own and still would’ve walked past us then the decision to put arter on the left against Walker and sterling was ridiculous and if I’m honest I’m slightly jealous watching wolves they actually look like a top 6 side

Top 6 ?

I’d fancy our chances to get something against Man U, we almost got a point against Arsenal and with a bit of luck could have had 3.

We ere in the game until the 80th minute at Chelsea.

Spurs aren’t unbeatable and Liverpool will still give you a chance at the back.

The only one who I can’t see us with any chance at all against is Man City. They are a machine at the moment, but even then Wolves and Lyon showed otherwise

Big 6, or the usual Top 6. You know what I meant.

Stop being so pedantic Roathy

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Seen a few posters do this, including Always Aways bizarre league table, and Pedro made a passive comment yesterday (not his first on the subject) that we can “kiss goodbye” to games against the big 6, but you can’t just write 12 games off from a 38 game season if you have any ambition of staying in this league.

Last season newly promoted Huddersfield took 5 points off the top 6 including away points at Citeh and Chelsea in the run in.

Brighton, also newly promoted, took 7 points with a point against Spurs and a win against Man U guiding them to safety in the run-in

Of the 3 relegated sides Jacks took 7, Stoke 4, and West Brom took 10!!!

So those being so passive about games v the big 6 need to think again because, believe it or not, the big do drop points against the lesser teams in this division.

Different league I know but Barcelona lost to the bottom of the table Leganes midweek so shock results can happen, but not if we approach games already beaten which has been the case last 2 games, last week especially.

Sadly that approach hasn’t just been from the fans but also I feel last week the manager and players were already beaten before they stepped on the pitch.
    I don't think we should judge the team on the results against them but we should definitely give it a go. We don't have a prayer against Man City but the rest are winnable, provided we play properly. We were shocking vs Man City but we made a fist of it vs Chelsea and could have got something vs Arsenal.

I find some of Warnock's comments a bit odd, and we've stopped being really hard to play against. The 6 games without a win has really affected the players though, they're not doing the simple things they did last season.

If we had played like we did last year we would have got more points in my humble view , I think Warnock has looked at his previous clubs and times in the top tier and thought to try it a different way ,added to whcih our squad is not that packed with talent so if we go in hard and awkward we pick up more cards and suspensions, we need to go and beat some teams up,if that means dropping the less aggressive ,hey ,ho,we cannot carry like this ,good post OP.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    If we had played like we did last year we would have got more points in my humble view , I think Warnock has looked at his previous clubs and times in the top tier and thought to try it a different way ,added to whcih our squad is not that packed with talent so if we go in hard and awkward we pick up more cards and suspensions, we need to go and beat some teams up,if that means dropping the less aggressive ,hey ,ho,we cannot carry like this ,good post OP.
    Tbh I don't think it's as easy as that the teams we've already played have shown they won't be easily bullied and are built like brick shit houses, you watch Hazard and although he sort of looks small he's very hard to knock off the ball

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Tbh I don't think it's as easy as that the teams we've already played have shown they won't be easily bullied and are built like brick shit houses, you watch Hazard and although he sort of looks small he's very hard to knock off the ball
    Exactly!

It amuses me when some say to start with Garry Madine to "bully and soften up" the opposition defence.. as if the defenders he'll be up against are fashioned out of papier mâché.