+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T Private car sales?

O/T Private car sales?

Would like some advice please chaps.

Have the unenviable task of selling my recently departed fathers car.

Think I値l have a go privately selling first off, but not sure of the safest way to ask for payment. Question: is it unreasonable to ask for 」10k in cash or seeing the funds transfer direct into my bank (2 hours these days???) before handing over the keys? I知 paranoid that a bankers draft could be fake, with the car then long gone out of sight. What is reasonable to ask the buyer without being too onerous for them?

Anyone , thanks?

Re: O/T Private car sales?

Cash or bank transfer. I wouldn’t accept a banks draft.

Explain in your 'for sale' advert that funds must be cleared before you hand the car over. Trouble with cash is you might get a few dodgy twenty's hidden in the 10 grand.

You could always walk your buyer to his bank so that he/she can remove the amount in cash.

Bank transfer is the safest way. Once the buyer has transferred the money, call your bank and verify the money has been credited.

In think the DVLA website gives official advice. I’ve seen it somewhere. Maybe .gov?

Quote Originally Posted by Liege'93 View Post

Think I値l have a go privately selling first off, but not sure of the safest way to ask for payment. Question: is it unreasonable to ask for 」10k in cash or seeing the funds transfer direct into my bank (2 hours these days???) before handing over the keys? I知 paranoid that a bankers draft could be fake, with the car then long gone out of sight. What is reasonable to ask the buyer without being too onerous for them?

Anyone , thanks?
    Electronic bank transfer every time. It is very simple for everyone concerned and completely safe.

The buyer secured the car with a deposit on first viewing if they need to arrange the funds and then you wait until the money appears in your account before they drive off with the car.

No hassle and completely safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Liege'93 View Post

Anyone , thanks?
    I sell loads of cars and vans from my contract hire company . Electronic bank transfer(should be immediate these days) is the one I use.
    Obviously do not let the car go till you have the funds secured in your bank
    Cash is a pain , could well be forgeries amongst your money, plus you will get quizzed where you got it from in the bank when you go to bank it.
    There was spate of forged bankers drafts a while back , not worth the risk .
    If you have a genuine buyer he will be happy to do an electronic bank transfer.

Thanks everyone for the advice. There’s a resounding message here to go for electronic transfer andmake it known to an6 prospective buyer up front. Cheers.

Maybe worth putting the car up for sale on here.

Certainly not the most profitable way , but what about one of those we buy any car type company痴 ?

If it's a focus some people on here may be interested