+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Joe Bennett

Joe Bennett

He’s always one of our best performers, and now he can’t get a game? Baffled by this one. Our defence was better with him in it..

Re: Joe Bennett

Looks like he made one mistake against one of the best players in the world and that's it but if you make multiple mistakes every game even against mediocre Burnley you can keep your place

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Looks like he made one mistake against one of the best players in the world and that's it but if you make multiple mistakes every game even against mediocre Burnley you can keep your place
    When we're down 2-1, I think it might be a fairly odd decision to swap your left back! I don't think Cunningham will start vs Spurs, though. We've been shipping goals left, right and centre so I understand Warnock trying to switch things up to an extent.

Cunningham was very poor yesterday and was definitely a part to blame for both goals. Though, as a defensive unit we were dreadful so probably unfair to single him out.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    When we're down 2-1, I think it might be a fairly odd decision to swap your left back! I don't think Cunningham will start vs Spurs, though. We've been shipping goals left, right and centre so I understand Warnock trying to switch things up to an extent.
    I wasn’t referring to Cunningham more of some players who are continually making mistakes

Both Morrison and more frequently Bamba, have had some pretty poor moments this season, where they have completely switched off, mistakes that wouldn’t have made in the championship. I think it’s also noticeable that Morrison has missed a number of good chances when attacking set pieces, again chances we would have taken in the championship. Not sure if it’s a case of managing the pressure at this level?

I would drop Bamba, move Manga to CB alongside Morrison, bring Bennett and Richards in and give them a consistent run. We need to get back to defending as a unit.

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    I wasn’t referring to Cunningham more of some players who are continually making mistakes
    At the end of the season, a few of my mates were chatting going through who could play in the Prem or not. We got to Bamba, Morrison and Manga, and I quipped if those three can't step up, we've got real problems. We've got real problems.

It's an area of concern, they've been making far too many mistakes and the confidence is being drained out of them. I don't think we've got any choice to continue to pick Morrison and one other though.

If you look carefully at the TV replay you will see that Cunningham was fouled for their first goal. The guy on the back post grasped Cunningham's head rendering him capable of heading the ball. At the match I hadn't noticed this but it was a definite foul. As for Morrison I thought he had a decent and committed game. Overall we performed well and were unlucky to lose against a poor Burnley team who had their goalkeeper to thank for getting the win.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    At the end of the season, a few of my mates were chatting going through who could play in the Prem or not. We got to Bamba, Morrison and Manga, and I quipped if those three can't step up, we've got real problems. We've got real problems.

It's an area of concern, they've been making far too many mistakes and the confidence is being drained out of them. I don't think we've got any choice to continue to pick Morrison and one other though.
    Totally agree. All 3 are slow, poor positional understanding and struggle to pass the ball to a City shirt.
    What is more worrying is the comments from Warnock stating he does not know what else to do, other than keep training and hoping it will come right.

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    Totally agree. All 3 are slow, poor positional understanding and struggle to pass the ball to a City shirt.
    What is more worrying is the comments from Warnock stating he does not know what else to do, other than keep training and hoping it will come right.
    I think that's being harsh, they're just low on confidence and have been caught on the hop by the pace of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    If you look carefully at the TV replay you will see that Cunningham was fouled for their first goal. The guy on the back post grasped Cunningham's head rendering him capable of heading the ball. At the match I hadn't noticed this but it was a definite foul. As for Morrison I thought he had a decent and committed game. Overall we performed well and were unlucky to lose against a poor Burnley team who had their goalkeeper to thank for getting the win.
    If you gave a foul for their goal, you'd see loads. "Looking carefully" says it all, that would be extremely harsh. Burnley had our poor defending to thank, we threw three points away.

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    It looks to be confidence thing. There have been some odd, panicky clearances and poor decision-making that I think perhaps stem from overthinking and being a bit edgy, rather than playing on instinct and experience. Not sure where the confidence will come from whilst we're on this run, a couple of clean sheets against 11 players would be a good starting point so we may have to wait a few weeks yet.