+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Spending v not spending

Spending v not spending

I see in a number of posts that we haven't given ourselves a chance because haven't spent any money.

I can understand why we haven't gone crazy especially when think about it from tans perspective.

Tan isn't going to make any money of us our debts certainly look more than our worth.
    He isn't going to be around forever and will want to recoup some cash and I would do the same if I was him.

I can understand him putting an exit strategy in place and he is probably not as keen as he once was. He still would need to find someone stupid enough to buy a football club which pretty much loses money every year.

We will probably receive around 100 mill this season.
    We spent around 30 mill on transfer fees
    I bet wages and signing on fees will be around the same as that and that's just for a year.

The players we bought were all similar in terms of being proven championship players who are all young enough to get some money back for . Those who if had a good season in pl could probably get more than paid for him.

If you look at Fulham who everyone thought would overtake us last season have spent 100 mill and I bet there's another 50 mill spent in signing on fees and the length of their contracts. However they are certainly not guaranteed survival.

My main issue is I can understand not spending so much what I don't understand is why every penny didn't go into improving the team and not the squad.
    I could imagine Tan being annoyed that 20 mill of what spent isn't always going into be first 11.

Re: Spending v not spending

Seems to me the under-spend during the summer was a reaction to the financial problems after our last flirtation with the Premier League - then, there was a massive over-spend; this summer saw a pathetice under-spend.

Bearing in mind the increase in TV revenue and the size of the gates (at least 10K) up on last season, the better strategy would have been a "middle-spend" of £50-60m.

The deficiencies through the spine of the team are obvious. No effective strikers; slow central defenders; ineffective defending midfielders and the poor standard of wingers by Premier League standards.

After last season's miracle promotion, Tan expected more on the same on a shoe-string. Yet another massive and costly mistake.

Warnock's isn't the sort to bullshit the owners. He probably told Tan that spending all the money available wouldn't give us a 25% chance of survival, let alone 50%.

It's a legacy of our promotion squad. There were a dozen last season with better players, we just had a tremendous manager who got them playing a way that got results..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Warnock's isn't the sort to bullshit the owners. He probably told Tan that spending all the money available wouldn't give us a 25% chance of survival, let alone 50%.

It's a legacy of our promotion squad. There were a dozen last season with better players, we just had a tremendous manager who got them playing a way that got results..
    Is the way I see it too. All the noises from the club were about establishing a stronger base rather than surviving. Nothing that has happened this season is a surprise.

We've spent averagely, which is annoying. In all likelihood, only Murphy will be a regular this season. Having said that, Assombalonga cost £15m, Kodjia something similar so we'd have to spend more than that to get a "Premier League" striker in. Sam Vokes would be classed as a PL striker by a lot of people, that was his 2nd goal in 30 games. If we were to get a striker in, we'd almost certainly have to take a punt or go abroad. Still, as people have said, we could have bought a new team and in all likelihood we'd still be struggling.