+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Short corners

Short corners

There is lots of talk about the long throw ins
    not producing any results and I tend to agree, especially when they are in our own half. Another thing that I hate is short corners, the were very prevelant under OGS. All our tall defenders go up for a corner and the short corner is taken and we invariably lose the ball and a mad cavalry charge to get back to stop their attack takes place. We tried a few short corners on Sunday, they don't work, get the ball in the MIXER!!!!

Re: Short corners

Quote Originally Posted by Malckent View Post
    not producing any results and I tend to agree, especially when they are in our own half. Another thing that I hate is short corners, the were very prevelant under OGS. All our tall defenders go up for a corner and the short corner is taken and we invariably lose the ball and a mad cavalry charge to get back to stop their attack takes place. We tried a few short corners on Sunday, they don't work, get the ball in the MIXER!!!!
    But what did putting the ball "in the mixer" do for us on Sunday? Burnley are better equipped than most in the Premier League to deal with such an approach and all of the times I can remember when we really came close to scoring (as well as the goal we did get) came from a different approach. We could easily have got something out of the Arsenal and Burnley games and yet we took on Arsenal by trying to outfootball them and Burnley by using the same approach as we used for much of the time last season - that strikes me as playing to the opposition's strengths.

There are hundreds of ways to take a corner. What mostly pan out successfull is the element of surprise. Although Morrison is a big lad, he is hardly a surprise anymore. Maybe switching it up a bit wouldn’t be a bad thing.

When Morrison took his throw ins and when we had corners why was nobody positioned on the near post. The direction of the throws and corners was all too predictable.

I felt a bit embarrassed watching Morrison wiping the ball deep in our own half.. this is the Premier League for goodness sake! Those long throws down the touchline are so easy to defend and yet difficult for us to set anything up, as invariably our players are receiving it with their back to goal and near a crowded touchline. The likes of Hoilett, Murphy, Reid etc are never going to get on the end of those against 6ft plus defenders.

Quote Originally Posted by Malckent View Post
    I don’t remember any short corners but what IS obvious is that whereas last year we looked like scoring every time we put a corner (or free kick) into the box, that just isn’t the case now.

I assume that the defenders are just that much better at this level but it is certainly much less effective that last season. :-(

We took two short corners against Burnley and lost the ball. We took many under OGS. I can never remember city scoring from a short corner, correct me if I'm wrong. Last season our crosses, corners and free kicks were of much better quality. Let's hope we can find that better delivery again.

The reality is that you won't score at corners in the Premier League. Short, long mix it up doesn't matter to be honest.

Michael Caley at the Washington Post.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.7ee1a2142fef

Thanks our man flint I I. A very interesting read and some surprising stats. It would appear that we no longer need to get excited when we get a corner anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    The reality is that you won't score at corners in the Premier League. Short, long mix it up doesn't matter to be honest.

Michael Caley at the Washington Post.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.7ee1a2142fef
    Interesting. But I find it somewhat hard to believe. Especially on a team by team or game by game basis. If we got one corner a game for 30 games I wouldn't expect much. But If we got 30 corners in one game, I'd expect at least a couple of goals.