+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: No to Team GB

  1. #1

    No to Team GB

    Plans for a female women's team at Tokyo Olympics have been announced under similar no open resistance scheme by FAW, SFA and Northern Ireland......except of course, critically, it's not the one off event they sold 2012 on.

    Of course it's been met with some dismay:

    https://mobile.twitter.com/PodcastPe...54465092804610

    https://mobile.twitter.com/ffwtbol/s...40535565881344

    https://mobile.twitter.com/timhhartl...98970936356864

    My experience of 2012 was supporting Team GB football in the Millennium and someone behind me shouting out "come on England!" In Rio Clive Woodward was still unable to decipher that GB rugby 7's wasn't an English team and Eddie Butler having to remind him. And you can look at the latest qualification where May wasn't aware supporting England at the World Cup before they had qualified could be offensive with Wales ahead of them in the group, and the BBC treated Scotland's fantastic campaign as an afterthought.

    No to Team GB.

  2. #2

    Re: No to Team GB

    Reminder that English FA had wanted to enter to put a team forward to Rio in men's and women's following the guidance that asking forgiveness rather than permission was the way to go.

  3. #3
    International jon1959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sheffield - out of Roath
    Posts
    7,643

    Re: No to Team GB

    Is this about Team UK again - called Team GB because politicians, broadcasters and administrators are pig ignorant?

    (Different in rugby - there Team GB would actually be from GB).

  4. #4

    Re: No to Team GB

    Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Plans for a female women's team at Tokyo Olympics have been announced under similar no open resistance scheme by FAW, SFA and Northern Ireland......except of course, critically, it's not the one off event they sold 2012 on.

    Of course it's been met with some dismay:

    https://mobile.twitter.com/PodcastPe...54465092804610

    https://mobile.twitter.com/ffwtbol/s...40535565881344

    https://mobile.twitter.com/timhhartl...98970936356864

    My experience of 2012 was supporting Team GB football in the Millennium and someone behind me shouting out "come on England!" In Rio Clive Woodward was still unable to decipher that GB rugby 7's wasn't an English team and Eddie Butler having to remind him. And you can look at the latest qualification where May wasn't aware supporting England at the World Cup before they had qualified could be offensive with Wales ahead of them in the group, and the BBC treated Scotland's fantastic campaign as an afterthought.

    No to Team GB.
    oh, come on...

  5. #5

    Re: No to Team GB

    I would like to see a team GB at the Olympics, why not?
    Rugby have the lions and that is a great event.

  6. #6

    Re: No to Team GB

    Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I would like to see a team GB at the Olympics, why not?
    Rugby have the lions and that is a great event.
    There's only about 4 teams that play rugby outside of the British Isles. There's been pressure before on the home nations to amalgamate. I can't say I'm bothered to watch England-lite.

  7. #7

    Re: No to Team GB

    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    There's only about 4 teams that play rugby outside of the British Isles. There's been pressure before on the home nations to amalgamate. I can't say I'm bothered to watch England-lite.
    Nobody in world football wants the home nations to amalgamate, why would they?
    What FIFA members do want is for thee to be more equal representation on IFAB. The committee that sets the rules of the game, which has a representative from each of the 4 home nations, and all other nations have 4 representatives between them.
    Wales and Northern Ireland have a far far greater say on the fundamental rules of the game than Brazil, Germany or Italy, and that doesn't seem right.
    The idea of being g forced to merge into one team was spread around in reaction to this.

  8. #8

    Re: No to Team GB

    Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Nobody in world football wants the home nations to amalgamate, why would they?
    What FIFA members do want is for thee to be more equal representation on IFAB. The committee that sets the rules of the game, which has a representative from each of the 4 home nations, and all other nations have 4 representatives between them.
    Wales and Northern Ireland have a far far greater say on the fundamental rules of the game than Brazil, Germany or Italy, and that doesn't seem right.
    The idea of being g forced to merge into one team was spread around in reaction to this.
    I wonder where this idea came from?

    https://www.theguardian.com/football...a-home-nations

    "Blatter admits creation of British Olympic team will jeopardise home nations"

  9. #9

    Re: No to Team GB

    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    I wonder where this idea came from?

    https://www.theguardian.com/football...a-home-nations

    "Blatter admits creation of British Olympic team will jeopardise home nations"
    A bit like the millennium bug and post brexit apocalypse.

    Before 2012 there were a lot of threads about a team gb side and the adverse effects of this. Nothing happened.

  10. #10

    Re: No to Team GB

    Athletes from Northern Ireland can compete for either Ireland or Great Britain. Welsh cricketers play for England. Sportsmen and women in places like the Channel Isles and Isle of Man (neither entity being part of Great Britain nor the UK) may opt to play for any of the Home Countries. Welsh teams play in the English football pyramid. Berwick-upon-Tweed, an English team plays in Scotland. Cardiff doesn't have one Welsh player in the first team and the crowd sings anti-English songs when their manager is English and more players in the squad come from England than anywhere else. Complicated innit?

  11. #11

    Re: No to Team GB

    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    I wonder where this idea came from?

    https://www.theguardian.com/football...a-home-nations

    "Blatter admits creation of British Olympic team will jeopardise home nations"
    Is that disgraced former FIFA president Sepp Blatter?

    The same guy who allegedly used his influence to land the world cup for Qatar while publicly stating that it shouldn't go there?

  12. #12

    Re: No to Team GB

    time for Wales, England etc to have seperate teams for the olympics and get rid of GB same for motor racing and golf!!!!

  13. #13

    Re: No to Team GB

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhiwbina Blues View Post
    time for Wales, England etc to have seperate teams for the olympics and get rid of GB same for motor racing and golf!!!!
    Motor racing?

  14. #14

    Re: No to Team GB

    I have no issue with a Team GB team, London 2012 had one, alot around me in the Mill stadium just turned up to watch Giggs play ) i guess it was a rare sight to see him play international football )

    from memory, didnt Rambo, Bellers and Giggs play from Wales, wasnt Joe Allen playing aswell ? ?

  15. #15

    Re: No to Team GB

    Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I have no issue with a Team GB team, London 2012 had one, alot around me in the Mill stadium just turned up to watch Giggs play ) i guess it was a rare sight to see him play international football )

    from memory, didnt Rambo, Bellers and Giggs play from Wales, wasnt Joe Allen playing aswell ? ?
    Bale was supposed to as well but he dropped out last minute
    Sturridge and Danny rose were amongst the England players.
    If bale had played I think they could have gone further.

    I can understand why they wanted Giggs involved but he was like 38 then and way past his peak. And you really want you overage players to be in positions that don't usually mature until later like goalkeeper, centre back or target man.

  16. #16

    Re: No to Team GB

    Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Bale was supposed to as well but he dropped out last minute
    Said he had a bad back...

  17. #17

    Re: No to Team GB

    Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Motor racing?
    Yeah, odd one that.

    EDIT: actually the golf one is actually even weirder. It's an individual sport and the only team part is as Europe

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •