+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Blakey's Bootroom pre Spurs podcast

Blakey's Bootroom pre Spurs podcast

Re: Blakey's Bootroom pre Spurs podcast

He's pretty much called it spot on since start of season.

Quote Originally Posted by fred keenor View Post
    He's pretty much called it spot on since start of season.
    He has been a good listen all season 👍

He’s been pretty spot on in what he’s said so far.

Just wish it didn’t sound like it was recorded in a dustbin.

I am going to give this a proper listen later but it appears Blakey is making some valid points.
    A concern must be IF Warnock went mid season or earlier then it would be naive to think someone (like Dean Smith Brentford Manager who I think is doing a good job in the Championship for example ) could come in and suddenly start getting us to play a more possession based game with the current squad.

Even if he doesn’t go during the season then what is the plan going forward replacing Warnock ?
    As Blakey says ( and Warnock himself has said) ,it feels like we got promoted ahead of schedule and maybe hadn’t developed enough depth in the squad to add more quality without spending a fortune in 1 transfer window!

Suggested at start of season that NW may need support in the PL with a new experienced PL coach.
    Would not disagree with that comment

He’s also advocated 3/5 at the back against the top sides. We should have gone to this system once we lost Murphy and Mendez-Laing.

Quote Originally Posted by billy.ronson View Post
    I am going to give this a proper listen later but it appears Blakey is making some valid points.
    A concern must be IF Warnock went mid season or earlier then it would be naive to think someone (like Dean Smith Brentford Manager who I think is doing a good job in the Championship for example ) could come in and suddenly start getting us to play a more possession based game with the current squad.

Even if he doesn’t go during the season then what is the plan going forward replacing Warnock ?
    As Blakey says ( and Warnock himself has said) ,it feels like we got promoted ahead of schedule and maybe hadn’t developed enough depth in the squad to add more quality without spending a fortune in 1 transfer window!
    Strange how this we got promoted ahead of schedule stuff has only surfaced since Sunday's game. The fact of the matter is that we got promoted as runners up with a points total which has only been exceeded six times by the side finishing second since 1993. I daresay in time, we'll start to see stuff about it being a weak Championship in 17/18 (just like it was in 12/13) soon, but I'd say a side that gets promoted to the Premier League with ninety points has foundations in place which are a sound basis to build on and shouldn't really lead to a record after seven games which has people saying they are certs to go down, possibly with a lowest ever points total. I'm not calling for Neil Warnock's sacking or anything, but, tactically, he's never come across as being sure on what our best approach to this season is.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Strange how this we got promoted ahead of schedule stuff has only surfaced since Sunday's game. The fact of the matter is that we got promoted as runners up with a points total which has only been exceeded six times by the side finishing second since 1993. I daresay in time, we'll start to see stuff about it being a weak Championship in 17/18 (just like it was in 12/13) soon, but I'd say a side that gets promoted to the Premier League with ninety points has foundations in place which are a sound basis to build on and shouldn't really lead to a record after seven games which has people saying they are certs to go down, possibly with a lowest ever points total. I'm not calling for Neil Warnock's sacking or anything, but, tactically, he's never come across as being sure on what our best approach to this season is.
    I think there's been plenty of "we shouldn't be here" etc before but not to the same extent. He's trying to save a bit of face. I can't see us getting the lowest points ever, we're not absolutely abject. Any team that finished above Fulham and Villa, deservedly got promoted and we didn't do that by just working hard and grinding results out (although the ability to do both helped).

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I'd say a side that gets promoted to the Premier League with ninety points has foundations in place which are a sound basis to build on
    Like nearly 2 seasons with Russell Slade whose job was to cut the wagebill and get rid of decent players that cost us money, then a few months with Trollope who had no clue of how to manage the club? Good footings on which to build, aye....

Let's not forget where we were when Warnock took over. We looked like potential relegation candidates. Were we too good to go down? Probably, but stranger things have happened. My opinion was that Warnock rescued the club from the ashes and was exactly what we needed at the time - someone who knew the game inside out. The board have never given us that confidence. It turned out that we had decent players, which had been badly managed and part of a club with no focus.

I have never understood this "too early to get promoted" stuff.

Yes, our squad is limited but we still have the players to be competitive. Also, the Premier League is a HUGE banker for the club. If we do get relegated, we won't go down with empty pockets that's for sure!