+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Single goal defeat at Wembley sends ten man Cardiff to the bottom of the table.

Single goal defeat at Wembley sends ten man Cardiff to the bottom of the table.

Re: Single goal defeat at Wembley sends ten man Cardiff to the bottom of the table.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Defensively last season we were strong, but still made basic errors. The difference is players in the Prem. are sharper, quicker, more alert and likely to capitalise on our mistakes/hesitancy. Ironically, I think Warnock's decision to try to play more 'football' is backfiring. We are way behind the rest in terms of footballing ability, even with the summer signings. Perhaps it would have been better to have developed a Warnock-style mark 2, ie play the same way as last season but with stronger personnel.

On a separate theme, I welcome the return of a fit Gunnarson. Much derided on here and the other place, I think he's twice the player that Ralls is, and has the character and overall game to help the City. I couldn't see Ralls putting in the grandstand performance that Gunnarson did against Wolves at home last May...

Re: Single goal defeat at Wembley sends ten man Cardiff to the bottom of the table.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Defensively last season we were strong, but still made basic errors. The difference is players in the Prem. are sharper, quicker, more alert and likely to capitalise on our mistakes/hesitancy. Ironically, I think Warnock's decision to try to play more 'football' is backfiring. We are way behind the rest in terms of footballing ability, even with the summer signings. Perhaps it would have been better to have developed a Warnock-style mark 2, ie play the same way as last season but with stronger personnel.

On a separate theme, I welcome the return of a fit Gunnarson. Much derided on here and the other place, I think he's twice the player that Ralls is, and has the character and overall game to help the City. I couldn't see Ralls putting in the grandstand performance that Gunnarson did against Wolves at home last May...
    Aston Villa home game was optimum performance for this Warnock side but we seem miles and miles off that now. What has happened to Hoilett? Surely no one could see him dropping off so much.

Play Jazz Richards as a recognised RB, start developing partnerships by sticking with certain players who have shown some ability at this level even if they have a poor game, shoot more, have more than one free-kick routine in the locker.....

Any more basic improvements?

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Aston Villa home game was optimum performance for this Warnock side but we seem miles and miles off that now. What has happened to Hoilett? Surely no one could see him dropping off so much.

Play Jazz Richards as a recognised RB, start developing partnerships by sticking with certain players who have shown some ability at this level even if they have a poor game, shoot more, have more than one free-kick routine in the locker.....

Any more basic improvements?
    Yes , concentrate more .... another quickly taken set piece with our defence taking a breather ended up in our net !

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    What has happened to Hoilett? Surely no one could see him dropping off so much.
    A new contract? Maybe he was put on a contract with relatively low wages when he joined us as a dangling carrot to show us what he could do. It certainly wouldn't be the first time it happened with a player, especially an attacking one.

I watched a v stable stream of the game. It has to be said that Spurs, missing many household names, were far too strong and bossed game from start to finish. They could have easily scored 10😡

Quote Originally Posted by The Charterhouse of Parma View Post
    I watched a v stable stream of the game. It has to be said that Spurs, missing many household names, were far too strong and bossed game from start to finish. They could have easily scored 10��
    Very different to how I saw it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Charterhouse of Parma View Post
    I watched a v stable stream of the game. It has to be said that Spurs, missing many household names, were far too strong and bossed game from start to finish. They could have easily scored 10��
    Absolute rubbish. Spurs were there for the taking and any decent side would have destroyed them.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post

I'm a Ralls fan and don't think he's done badly overall this season, but I agree that Gunnarsson, another player who gets criticised as soon as his performance level drops slightly, has been the better player for us given that the two of them have been in first team contention at Cardiff for about the same amount of time.

I don't agree with you about our defence last season though - to concede less than a goal a game and have the joint best goals against record with Wolves tells you we were doing something right and, even allowing for the increase in standards this season, players like Morrison, Bamba, Bennett and Manga are making mistakes in areas where they shouldn't - Neil Warnock was right when he said individual errors were costing us.

Burnley's first goal last week was an example of that because there were enough of them to contribute three goals against opponents who displayed quick thinking with the throw in they took, but there was nothing particularly brilliant done with the ball on their part in the build up to that goal - we would not have conceded a goal like that last season.

I'm a Ralls fan and don't think he's done badly overall this season, but I agree that Gunnarsson, another player who gets criticised as soon as his performance level drops slightly, has been the better player for us given that the two of them have been in first team contention at Cardiff for about the same amount of time.

I don't agree with you about our defence last season though - to concede less than a goal a game and have the joint best goals against record with Wolves tells you we were doing something right and, even allowing for the increase in standards this season, players like Morrison, Bamba, Bennett and Manga are making mistakes in areas where they shouldn't - Neil Warnock was right when he said individual errors were costing us.

Burnley's first goal last week was an example of that because there were enough of them to contribute three goals against opponents who displayed quick thinking with the throw in they took, but there was nothing particularly brilliant done with the ball on their part in the build up to that goal - we would not have conceded a goal like that last season.
    About halfway through the season last year we had the best defensive record in the championship and I think I left every game thinking how the hell did we keep a clean sheet in that game. I think that we did have the luck with us last year to go with the hard work.

Quote Originally Posted by ken smith View Post
    About halfway through the season last year we had the best defensive record in the championship and I think I left every game thinking how the hell did we keep a clean sheet in that game. I think that we did have the luck with us last year to go with the hard work.
    Sorry, but I don't think you can put any divisional best record over a forty six game season down to luck.

Sorry, but I don't think you can put any divisional best record over a forty six game season down to luck.
    Im not saying it was purely down to luck, far from it, but the Brentford miss springs to mind.
    You make your own luck as they say and we finished where we did on merit.

This year every mistake we make seems to be punished, whether that's the shit defending for Burnley's first or giving Aubamayang about 10 yards of space so he could curl it in from where he did. Last year we were making the same mistakes, but not being punished every time like this season.