+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: City's Worst-Ever Start To A Season?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: City's Worst-Ever Start To A Season?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    1989 was mentioned on US TV yesterday. Can't be arsed looking it up. Who cares?
    I recall that was pretty shit. Burrows left for Pompey and Ashurst came in during October? I think that we got an away win at Huddersfield, 3-2 with Gavin Ward making his debut. I was actually an apprentice at the club at that time, and I remember talking to ward about his first senior football league appearance, he told me that he was shitting himself-only 19-and went on to say that the City fans were brilliant with him and got him through the match. Was nice to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I recall that was pretty shit. Burrows left for Pompey and Ashurst came in during October? I think that we got an away win at Huddersfield, 3-2 with Gavin Ward making his debut. I was actually an apprentice at the club at that time, and I remember talking to ward about his first senior football league appearance, he told me that he was shitting himself-only 19-and went on to say that the City fans were brilliant with him and got him through the match. Was nice to hear.
    Cohen's debut too at Huddersfield. I missed that but went to the 4-0 defeat at Rotherham the week before, it was looking pretty terminal. Gilligan and Bartlett had gone, Burrows too, as you say. Alan Curtis had played his last game for us at Rotherham.

It's always darkest before the dawn though, as the saying goes. Cohen and Pike hit it off straight away, results turned around and the next four aways I went to that season were the 5-2 win at Fulham, the Boxing Day win at Swansea, the 2-0 win at Walsall four days later then the narrow loss to top flight QPR (including Seaman and Ray Wilkins) in an FA Cup replay. We were out of the relegation zone by then with games in hand, it was an incredible turnaround. City were back. Until we got relegated four months later that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Cohen's debut too at Huddersfield. I missed that but went to the 4-0 defeat at Rotherham the week before, it was looking pretty terminal. Gilligan and Bartlett had gone, Burrows too, as you say. Alan Curtis had played his last game for us at Rotherham.

It's always darkest before the dawn though, as the saying goes. Cohen and Pike hit it off straight away, results turned around and the next four aways I went to that season were the 5-2 win at Fulham, the Boxing Day win at Swansea, the 2-0 win at Walsall four days later then the narrow loss to top flight QPR (including Seaman and Ray Wilkins) in an FA Cup replay. We were out of the relegation zone by then with games in hand, it was an incredible turnaround. City were back. Until we got relegated four months later that is.
    Great post, and what a memory!I can remember Gilligan going, he went to Pompey as well. I remember walking in through the players entrance and he was stood getting his boots and stuff together. Curtis was on another level and was a really nice bloke, Chris Pike was quite bright, he used to read a broad sheet and George wood would take the piss out of him, although it had little effect. Was at the QPR game, that was some night off the pitch-good memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Great post, and what a memory!I can remember Gilligan going, he went to Pompey as well. I remember walking in through the players entrance and he was stood getting his boots and stuff together. Curtis was on another level and was a really nice bloke, Chris Pike was quite bright, he used to read a broad sheet and George wood would take the piss out of him, although it had little effect. Was at the QPR game, that was some night off the pitch-good memories.
    Most away games were eventful around then. Didn't we renovate Bristol City's turnstiles that season?

We gave a really strong QPR team two good games in the cup and looked like a proper team. I was right behind Rodgerson's shot in the replay, it was going in the far corner and would've given us a late lead until it just caught the heel of Danny Maddix and went wide. I'm not sure why the season fell away after those games but football's like that sometimes. I've no real idea how we went up last season to be honest, it works both ways.