+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: City's Worst-Ever Start To A Season?

City's Worst-Ever Start To A Season?

It was mentioned in a couple of media reports yesterday that the current start to the season is City's worst at any level since 1964/65, but having looked at the record books this afternoon I don't think that's correct.

After the first eight games of the 1964/65 campaign, the Bluebirds' record was:

Played 8, Won 0, Drawn 6, Lost 2.

Having had a look through John Crooks' 1992 record book, I believe the start to the 2018/19 season is statistically the worst in the club's long history. I may be wrong about that, but I couldn't spot a worse one.

Before 1964, you have to go as far back as 1930 to find a year in which City hadn't won any of their first seven league games. That season (1930/31), City won game eight 4-1 against Plymouth for a record of:

Played 8, Won 1, Drawn 2, Lost 5.

Further back still, in 1921/22, City lost their first six league matches before beating Middlesbrough 3-1 and drawing their next game 0-0 for a record of:

Played 8, Won 1, Drawn 1, Lost 6.

Incredibly, Keenor & Co went on to finish 4th in the old First Division.

Re: City's Worst-Ever Start To A Season?

But do you think Fulham are rubbish?

You’re loving this. Can’t get on quick enough to put on your negative posts

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    But do you think Fulham are rubbish?
    They're not that good.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    You’re loving this. Can’t get on quick enough to put on your negative posts
    Oh shut up, you daft old fart. I've hardly posted at all since the start of the season and let's be honest - there's been plenty of opportunity if my wish was to simply post negative stuff. There was a thread on here the other day about this board dying. Is it any surprise?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    It was mentioned in a couple of media reports yesterday that the current start to the season is City's worst at any level since 1964/65, but having looked at the record books this afternoon I don't think that's correct.

After the first eight games of the 1964/65 campaign, the Bluebirds' record was:

Played 8, Won 0, Drawn 6, Lost 2.

Having had a look through John Crooks' 1992 record book, I believe the start to the 2018/19 season is statistically the worst in the club's long history. I may be wrong about that, but I couldn't spot a worse one.

Before 1964, you have to go as far back as 1930 to find a year in which City hadn't won any of their first seven league games. That season (1930/31), City won game eight 4-1 against Plymouth for a record of:

Played 8, Won 1, Drawn 2, Lost 5.

Further back still, in 1921/22, City lost their first six league matches before beating Middlesbrough 3-1 and drawing their next game 0-0 for a record of:

Played 8, Won 1, Drawn 1, Lost 6.

Incredibly, Keenor & Co went on to finish 4th in the old First Division.

Just goes to show how bad we have been for 50 years

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Just goes to show how bad we have been for 50 years
    Ummmm. Not sure what you mean.

Yeah on paper, it absolutely is. A pointless question to ask, you know the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Yeah on paper, it absolutely is. A pointless question to ask, you know the answer.
    Is there any point to this message board at all? It seems increasingly doubtful.

As it happens, I don’t know the answer for certain. The press are reporting it’s the worst for 54 years and that’s mentioned again today on AA’s board. I don’t have any records to hand from 1992 to present as most of my CCFC books are now in the attic. I would have imagined if it is the worst start in the club’s entire history it would have been mentioned somewhere else before now.

Is there any point to this message board at all? It seems increasingly doubtful.

As it happens, I don’t know the answer for certain. The press are reporting it’s the worst for 54 years and that’s mentioned again today on AA’s board. I don’t have any records to hand from 1992 to present as most of my CCFC books are now in the attic. I would have imagined if it is the worst start in the club’s entire history it would have been mentioned somewhere else before now.
    Well seeing as you have the books, and the internet at your disposal, why don't you do some investigatory research and let us all know. I'd love to know personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Well seeing as you have the books, and the internet at your disposal, why don't you do some investigatory research and let us all know. I'd love to know personally.
    I’m on the sofa watching the football. Maybe tomorrow.

Oh shut up, you daft old fart. I've hardly posted at all since the start of the season and let's be honest - there's been plenty of opportunity if my wish was to simply post negative stuff. There was a thread on here the other day about this board dying. Is it any surprise?
    No, I guess you wanted to wait until you were fairly certain it was City's worst ever start to a season, hence a REALLY negative post?

I'm confused. Rob Phillips was talking about 89-90 yesterday, why isn't that as bad as the current start?

https://www.11v11.com/league-tables/...eptember-1989/

OK, results so far are not encouraging but it is what happens over the whole season that counts and I believe that we will come good before long and survive. It may be seat of the pants stuff at times but I have faith and think in Neil Warnock we have the best manager for the situation.

1989 was mentioned on US TV yesterday. Can't be arsed looking it up. Who cares?

Maybe tomorrow I’d want to settle down
    Until tomorrow I’ll just.........................

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I think if we had done what we should have, and beaten burnely, no one would give one. Fulham, Newcastle, hudds, saints even are all catchable. We just have a very big few months coming up. It could all be over by Xmas, at least we have Neil to get us back to the wonder league eh

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I recall that was pretty shit. Burrows left for Pompey and Ashurst came in during October? I think that we got an away win at Huddersfield, 3-2 with Gavin Ward making his debut. I was actually an apprentice at the club at that time, and I remember talking to ward about his first senior football league appearance, he told me that he was shitting himself-only 19-and went on to say that the City fans were brilliant with him and got him through the match. Was nice to hear.

To me the subject is totally irrelevant as I support the club come what may.

Gunman, we’re back in blue, have been for some time. Crowds are good and everyone is getting on just lovely.

Swallow your pride and come back to games rather than wishing your local club failure?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I recall that was pretty shit. Burrows left for Pompey and Ashurst came in during October? I think that we got an away win at Huddersfield, 3-2 with Gavin Ward making his debut. I was actually an apprentice at the club at that time, and I remember talking to ward about his first senior football league appearance, he told me that he was shitting himself-only 19-and went on to say that the City fans were brilliant with him and got him through the match. Was nice to hear.
    Cohen's debut too at Huddersfield. I missed that but went to the 4-0 defeat at Rotherham the week before, it was looking pretty terminal. Gilligan and Bartlett had gone, Burrows too, as you say. Alan Curtis had played his last game for us at Rotherham.

It's always darkest before the dawn though, as the saying goes. Cohen and Pike hit it off straight away, results turned around and the next four aways I went to that season were the 5-2 win at Fulham, the Boxing Day win at Swansea, the 2-0 win at Walsall four days later then the narrow loss to top flight QPR (including Seaman and Ray Wilkins) in an FA Cup replay. We were out of the relegation zone by then with games in hand, it was an incredible turnaround. City were back. Until we got relegated four months later that is.

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post
    Gunman, we’re back in blue, have been for some time. Crowds are good and everyone is getting on just lovely.

Swallow your pride and come back to games rather than wishing your local club failure?
    He can’t still be in a huff, surely....

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Cohen's debut too at Huddersfield. I missed that but went to the 4-0 defeat at Rotherham the week before, it was looking pretty terminal. Gilligan and Bartlett had gone, Burrows too, as you say. Alan Curtis had played his last game for us at Rotherham.

It's always darkest before the dawn though, as the saying goes. Cohen and Pike hit it off straight away, results turned around and the next four aways I went to that season were the 5-2 win at Fulham, the Boxing Day win at Swansea, the 2-0 win at Walsall four days later then the narrow loss to top flight QPR (including Seaman and Ray Wilkins) in an FA Cup replay. We were out of the relegation zone by then with games in hand, it was an incredible turnaround. City were back. Until we got relegated four months later that is.
    Great post, and what a memory!I can remember Gilligan going, he went to Pompey as well. I remember walking in through the players entrance and he was stood getting his boots and stuff together. Curtis was on another level and was a really nice bloke, Chris Pike was quite bright, he used to read a broad sheet and George wood would take the piss out of him, although it had little effect. Was at the QPR game, that was some night off the pitch-good memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    No, I guess you wanted to wait until you were fairly certain it was City's worst ever start to a season, hence a REALLY negative post?
    Turns out it isn't the worst ever start to a season, but maybe the joint-worst. Is that REALLY negative or just negative?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Great post, and what a memory!I can remember Gilligan going, he went to Pompey as well. I remember walking in through the players entrance and he was stood getting his boots and stuff together. Curtis was on another level and was a really nice bloke, Chris Pike was quite bright, he used to read a broad sheet and George wood would take the piss out of him, although it had little effect. Was at the QPR game, that was some night off the pitch-good memories.
    Most away games were eventful around then. Didn't we renovate Bristol City's turnstiles that season?

We gave a really strong QPR team two good games in the cup and looked like a proper team. I was right behind Rodgerson's shot in the replay, it was going in the far corner and would've given us a late lead until it just caught the heel of Danny Maddix and went wide. I'm not sure why the season fell away after those games but football's like that sometimes. I've no real idea how we went up last season to be honest, it works both ways.