+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ban dogs on sports pitches?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ban dogs on sports pitches?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-wal...pen-spaces-ban

It’s what Cardiff council are proposing. Unsurprisingly there is opposition from dog lovers.

I have no problem with dogs, I’ve owned them in the past, and the majority of owners are responsible of course, but most weekends I have to pick shit up off the pitch before our U10s play. It’s disgusting.
    Also, even when people pick it up, there is often shitty residue left on the grass. There are absolutely loads of parks and green spaces in Cardiff for people to walk their dogs, surely it’s not unreasonable to keep them off the pitches.

Re: Ban dogs on sports pitches?

I know someone who had to have their leg amputated because dog shit and they shouldn’t be allowed on any sport pitch

i have 4 dogs, but NEVER EVER walk them on sports pitches, we have enough green space to not have to

I think the Council are overeacting. Ive signed the petition against it, but i dont actually walk my dogs on pitches. If i lived near say Pontcanna tho i would walk there. A pity the Council dont do something about the assholes who cycle down Queen Street even tho they are banned from there!

this is a money making scheme by the council, they already got the laws to fine people for not picking up dog poo but dont have the staf to implement it so a blanket ban will make it easier to catch people just walking on a field. Why not put fences around sports pitches to stop dogs, foxes, cats and other mammals from getting on them? When I was playing on parks pitches it was smashed glass that was a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiwbina Blues View Post
    this is a money making scheme by the council, they already got the laws to fine people for not picking up dog poo but dont have the staf to implement it so a blanket ban will make it easier to catch people just walking on a field. Why not put fences around sports pitches to stop dogs, foxes, cats and other mammals from getting on them? When I was playing on parks pitches it was smashed glass that was a problem.
    It sticks like...

Seems a bit unfair to ban dogs or any other animal for that matter from such a big recreational area for the sake of some sunday league teams that use the space once or twice a week.

Maybe you could ask dog owners to take their dogs to a designated shitting area before walking on the football pitches to avoid “residues”.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    Seems a bit unfair to ban dogs or any other animal for that matter from such a big recreational area for the sake of some sunday league teams that use the space once or twice a week.

Maybe you could ask dog owners to take their dogs to a designated shitting area before walking on the football pitches to avoid “residues”.
    Why can’t the dogs shit in their own garden?

I have a dog, but I'd never walk it on a playing field.

Just pick up the smelly mutt’s shit.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Just pick up the smelly mutt’s shit.
    It's just a matter of going through the motions....

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    It's just a matter of going through the motions....
    No. That's swimming in the sea at Swanbridge.

I always pick up dog shit when I'm out walking. Strange hobby, but one that keeps me aroused.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I always pick up dog shit when I'm out walking. Strange hobby, but one that keeps me aroused.

These faceless council bosses are stealing a living!
    Remember the recent motion to enforce fines on people with less than two poo bags on their person?
    The council is failing us all and this is the latest in a series of initiatives which will is doomed to fail.

There is already a lack of bins for people to dispose of their dog shit and the ones that do exist are not emptied regularly resulting in people leaving their dog shit bags and other rubbish next to the bins.

The feckers are proposing less bin collections, citing that it encourages more recycling, yeah right, even though our bins are chokka every week and they've already replaced the perfectly good black ones with smaller ones.

There is a shortage of food bags, apparently their suppliers haven't supplied, resulting to people having to resort to putting food in black bin bags.

They have already closed a very busy tip in Wedal road with no new site planned... let the fly tipping restart!

Building work continues to rise whilst basic infrastructure eg roads, drainage cannot cope.

No bus station for years.

Cycle paths a joke.

Community charges at premium rates and continue to rise.

New County Hall planned replacing the "old" 30 year old one with sprawling car park... don't even start me on parking in Cardiff!

Have I missed anything?

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Remember the recent motion to enforce fines on people with less than two poo bags on their person?
    The council is failing us all and this is the latest in a series of initiatives which will is doomed to fail.

There is already a lack of bins for people to dispose of their dog shit and the ones that do exist are not emptied regularly resulting in people leaving their dog shit bags and other rubbish next to the bins.

The feckers are proposing less bin collections, citing that it encourages more recycling, yeah right, even though our bins are chokka every week and they've already replaced the perfectly good black ones with smaller ones.

There is a shortage of food bags, apparently their suppliers haven't supplied, resulting to people having to resort to putting food in black bin bags.

They have already closed a very busy tip in Wedal road with no new site planned... let the fly tipping restart!

Building work continues to rise whilst basic infrastructure eg roads, drainage cannot cope.

Cycle paths a joke.

New County Hall planned replacing the "old" 30 year old one with sprawling car park... don't even start me on parking in Cardiff!

Have I missed anything?
    I'd vote for you

Are people really upset that they cant walk their dogs on football and rugby pitches?

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post

Cycle paths a joke.

Have I missed anything?
    Yes. The bus lane on the link road between Newport Rd and Llanedeyrn.

Dogs = mobile shit machines ☹️

I think many people against the ban are confusing parks with sports pitches.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    I think many people against the ban are confusing parks with sports pitches.
    Exactly.

It’s parkland.... common land, NOT a privately owned sports facility.

....seems to be the way nowadays though. If someone doesn’t like something, they just shout about it and put a fence up. No tolerance, no long-term ideas. Quick fix..

It seems a bit arrogant though to think that humans who play football should have priority. What are they doing that makes them so entitled? Can’t be paying taxes because we all do that, dog owners included.

Why can’t football teams go and play in Gôl or one of those private places? It’s not that expensive.

Exactly.

It’s parkland.... common land, NOT a privately owned sports facility.

....seems to be the way nowadays though. If someone doesn’t like something, they just shout about it and put a fence up. No tolerance, no long-term ideas. Quick fix..

It seems a bit arrogant though to think that humans who play football should have priority. What are they doing that makes them so entitled? Can’t be paying taxes because we all do that, dog owners included.

Why can’t football teams go and play in Gôl or one of those private places? It’s not that expensive.

Is that your solution? Go and play in Gol?? Hundreds of football and rugby teams from U7 to seniors go and play at a 5-a-side pitch?

I don’t think it’s arrogant to expect dog walkers not to let their dogs shit on a sports pitch. In Roath Park, Heath Park, Trelai, Heath etc etc there is plenty of space for people to excercise dogs without the need to let them on the pitches. You wouldn’t let a dog run onto a pitch when a game is in progress so why is it such a problem when there’s not?

People should pick up their dog's crap when in a public park, it makes no difference if it's on a sports pitch or not. A football game I was watching a few weeks ago had to be held up for a minute or two while some was picked up off the pitch - if things like that are happening then, speaking as a dog owner, I've got no problem with the proposed ban.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    Is that your solution? Go and play in Gol?? Hundreds of football and rugby teams from U7 to seniors go and play at a 5-a-side pitch?

I don’t think it’s arrogant to expect dog walkers not to let their dogs shit on a sports pitch. In Roath Park, Heath Park, Trelai, Heath etc etc there is plenty of space for people to excercise dogs without the need to let them on the pitches. You wouldn’t let a dog run onto a pitch when a game is in progress so why is it such a problem when there’s not?
    What makes you entitled to cordon off large areas of parkland because you want to play football once or twice a week. It’s totally arrogant.

And your solution ? Displacement ? Go and play 5 a side in gol or one of the other private sports venues. Yes that is my solution. Sling your hook.

What makes you entitled to cordon off large areas of parkland because you want to play football once or twice a week. It’s totally arrogant.

And your solution ? Displacement ? Go and play 5 a side in gol or one of the other private sports venues. Yes that is my solution. Sling your hook.
    Sports teams pay pitch fees for the use of the facilities. Dog walkers don't