+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ban dogs on sports pitches?

Re: Ban dogs on sports pitches?

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    What makes you entitled to cordon off large areas of parkland because you want to play football once or twice a week. It’s totally arrogant.

And your solution ? Displacement ? Go and play 5 a side in gol or one of the other private sports venues. Yes that is my solution. Sling your hook.
    Sports teams pay pitch fees for the use of the facilities. Dog walkers don't

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    Dog owners pay council tax and as far as I know Llandaff fields are owned by the council.

The fees you pay allow you to book the pitch for an hour and half on a saturday/sunday morning. It doesn’t give you the right to govern it’s use outside that time slot as far as I’m aware.

If I had a dog I’d use it regardless of what football people or the council say. I’d clean up after me and if you asked nicely I’d take some disinfectant spray and a rag to clean up properly and leave your sports facilities inmaculate.

Alternatively, you could label me and my friend as a nuisance and ban me.

..if that seems more reasonable.

You are right about this and the council get quite a chunk of cash for their upkeep and maintenance.

The amount they receive in revenue should be more than enough to include a person surveying the playing area for any possible animal faeces and dealing with it.
    I have to say say animal as fox shite is common too (that said, depending on the area you live, the pitches are lucky to get rolled). Perhaps their next quick fix plan is to have a fox cull.

Whilst the solution of playing everywhere at Gol isn't a plausible one, the banning of dogs running on footie pitches is laughable.

Dog owners pay council tax and as far as I know Llandaff fields are owned by the council.

The fees you pay allow you to book the pitch for an hour and half on a saturday/sunday morning. It doesn’t give you the right to govern it’s use outside that time slot as far as I’m aware.

If I had a dog I’d use it regardless of what football people or the council say. I’d clean up after me and if you asked nicely I’d take some disinfectant spray and a rag to clean up properly and leave your sports facilities inmaculate.

Alternatively, you could label me and my friend as a nuisance and ban me.

..if that seems more reasonable.
    Unfortunately it is irresponsible dog owners that will cause this to happen. Its already the case in RCT that if you take a dog into a sports field and are caught its an instant fine. If people want to continue to take their dogs there its their call really.

The situation is ridiculous i always used to walk my family's dogs on the sports pitches because they were large open spaces and the dogs could run freely without being a harm to people/children. However our pitches are a complete mess at the moment, and for health reasons something must be done.

These pitches do not only contain adult matches on the weekend, the contain children coaching sessions through-out the week. If you booked a private room in a council building i do not think it would be unreasonable to expect it not to be covered in shit.

If you are not prepared to clean up after a dog, you should not be allowed to own one.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    You are right about this and the council get quite a chunk of cash for their upkeep and maintenance.

The amount they receive in revenue should be more than enough to include a person surveying the playing area for any possible animal faeces and dealing with it.
    I have to say say animal as fox shite is common too (that said, depending on the area you live, the pitches are lucky to get rolled). Perhaps their next quick fix plan is to have a fox cull.

Whilst the solution of playing everywhere at Gol isn't a plausible one, the banning of dogs running on footie pitches is laughable.
    Gol isn’t the solution. I was trying to make the point that “go elsewhere” is the type of solution anyone with half a brain can come up with, the only difference being that I was saying it ironically. I wouldn’t have the ordacity to claim ownership of something that is for everyone and everything.

I don’t like kids running about and making noise. I don’t like football fans walking down the street pissed up and breaking things... now that is antisocial and genuinely intimidating. Should we ban football? Or football fans? Or drinking? If we are talking about the damage, the littering and the violence, football related antisocial behaviour is far more serious than cyclists or dog shit.

If you are not prepared to clean up after a dog, you should not be allowed to own one.
    Agreed. People should have to get a licence in order to own or breed an animal. Not so much for the benefit of humans and dog shit but for animal welfare and to avoid animal abuse.

The requirements for adopting (buying or not ) should be more in line with what it takes to adopt a baby. There should be more parity in this respect.

Gol isn’t the solution. I was trying to make the point that “go elsewhere” is the type of solution anyone with half a brain can come up with, the only difference being that I was saying it ironically. I wouldn’t have the ordacity to claim ownership of something that is for everyone and everything.

I don’t like kids running about and making noise. I don’t like football fans walking down the street pissed up and breaking things... now that is antisocial and genuinely intimidating. Should we ban football? Or football fans? Or drinking? If we are talking about the damage, the littering and the violence, football related antisocial behaviour is far more serious than cyclists or dog shit.
    How about the dog walkers on the sports pitches "go elsewhere" as clearly they're the ones not picking up dog muck. It can cause blindness and wounds to get infected. They're not on about banning dogs from parks, just areas where football/rugby etc is played.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    How about the dog walkers on the sports pitches "go elsewhere" as clearly they're the ones not picking up dog muck. It can cause blindness and wounds to get infected. They're not on about banning dogs from parks, just areas where football/rugby etc is played.
    You need to read back for context.

The areas they are proposing the bans are parkland.....which double as sports fields periodically.

You need to read back for context.

The areas they are proposing the bans are parkland.....which double as sports fields periodically.
    You want to stop all 11 a side football/cricket/rugby pitches and make people play 5 a side. Perhaps certain fields could be used for dog walking, and certain fields used for sport. Is it OK for sports people to be stopped but dog walkers not?

I play football on a public pitch, and the amount of dog muck on it is frankly incredible. "I'd clean it up" etc is all well and good, but clearly people aren't doing it. If you let your dog off the lead and let it run about, I don't see how it is feasible to know exactly where and when it has done its business, so I've got some sympathy but something needs to be done.

You want to stop all 11 a side football/cricket/rugby pitches and make people play 5 a side. Perhaps certain fields could be used for dog walking, and certain fields used for sport. Is it OK for sports people to be stopped but dog walkers not?

I play football on a public pitch, and the amount of dog muck on it is frankly incredible. "I'd clean it up" etc is all well and good, but clearly people aren't doing it. If you let your dog off the lead and let it run about, I don't see how it is feasible to know exactly where and when it has done its business, so I've got some sympathy but something needs to be done.
    I'm not the one proposing a ban on football.

Designated pitches might be workable. In Llandaff Fields there are pitches that are more out of the way than others. When I think of this issue and imagine where exactly I'd be walking my dog, I'm thinking of the path that goes from Llandaff fields changing rooms to black weir bridge. I feel like the areas around the path would have to be left free for traffic of all sorts...dogs, walkers, kids etc. Can you imagine dog walkers and pedestrians all having use that narrow stretch of path? I think it could be problematic.

But the answer is not a quick fix type of thing. The answer is to control who can have a dog. To ensure they are properly trained to handle a dog (including picking up it's shit). Heavier penalties for dog owners who don't follow the laws. Encourge people to report those who they see leaving crap...maybe a quick-dial report line. Threaten to take dogs away from owners if they are unable to take care of them properly. Make it unacceptable.

With regards football pitches. There should be an inspection before every match anyway to make sure the pitch is free of glass and other dangerous objects. Maybe the council could provide dog shit/glass/cans hoovers and antibacterial killer foam spray so that the pitch is completely free of foreign objects.

It takes time and it takes thought and organisation but that is what living together in the same space is about......cohabiting.....conviviality. Not just banning stuff when you don't like it. That's pathetic IMO. As pathetic an attitude as leavingdog shit on the floor.

I'm not the one proposing a ban on football.
    Why can’t football teams go and play in Gôl or one of those private places? It’s not that expensive.
    Yes, you are the one proposing a ban on football. And trust me, it is expensive.

What makes you entitled to cordon off large areas of parkland because you want to play football once or twice a week. It’s totally arrogant.

And your solution ? Displacement ? Go and play 5 a side in gol or one of the other private sports venues. Yes that is my solution. Sling your hook.
    Hopefully, human beings don't leave traces of excrement on the grass which could be detrimental or unpleasant for dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Hopefully, human beings don't leave traces of excrement on the grass which could be detrimental or unpleasant for dogs.
    As if. They love the stuff. Roll around in it, eat it. Then again, that's what a lot of us like about dogs, they are not as fussy and comlex as our human counterparts!

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    These faceless council bosses are stealing a living!
    Remember the recent motion to enforce fines on people with less than two poo bags on their person?
    The council is failing us all and this is the latest in a series of initiatives which will is doomed to fail.

There is already a lack of bins for people to dispose of their dog shit and the ones that do exist are not emptied regularly resulting in people leaving their dog shit bags and other rubbish next to the bins.

The feckers are proposing less bin collections, citing that it encourages more recycling, yeah right, even though our bins are chokka every week and they've already replaced the perfectly good black ones with smaller ones.

There is a shortage of food bags, apparently their suppliers haven't supplied, resulting to people having to resort to putting food in black bin bags.

They have already closed a very busy tip in Wedal road with no new site planned... let the fly tipping restart!

Building work continues to rise whilst basic infrastructure eg roads, drainage cannot cope.

No bus station for years.

Cycle paths a joke.

Community charges at premium rates and continue to rise.

New County Hall planned replacing the "old" 30 year old one with sprawling car park... don't even start me on parking in Cardiff!

Have I missed anything?
    Yes. The bus lane on the link road between Newport Rd and Llanedeyrn.

The perfect solution to this is to walk your dogs around my area where every single **** with a dog seems to leave their shit all over the pavement without having to worry about picking it up.

Yes, you are the one proposing a ban on football. And trust me, it is expensive.
    I'm not. I have no problem with people playing football on a saturday/sunday morning. I just find it arrogant to think they can dictate how the space be used when they are not using it and therefore suggested they move along to another venue that meets their standards rather than shunting others.

It's expensive ? So is Gol. How much do you want to play football ? Enough for each player to fork out an extra 2 quid a week ? Surely that would pay for the neccessary equipment to check and clean a football pitch . Get the players to turn up 5 minutes early to make sure THEIR playing surface is up to standard. I dunno, be prepared to put a little head and leg work in.

I'm not. I have no problem with people playing football on a saturday/sunday morning. I just find it arrogant to think they can dictate how the space be used when they are not using it and therefore suggested they move along to another venue that meets their standards rather than shunting others.

It's expensive ? So is Gol. How much do you want to play football ? Enough for each player to fork out an extra 2 quid a week ? Surely that would pay for the neccessary equipment to check and clean a football pitch . Get the players to turn up 5 minutes early to make sure THEIR playing surface is up to standard. I dunno, be prepared to put a little head and leg work in.
    You're dictating where people should play football, and letting dog walkers who are the issue roam free. When dog owners in this thread can see the problems, while you, who doesn't have a dog can't is more than a little odd. Nobody is tarring all dogs/dog owners with the same brush but unfortunately, some dog owners don't clean up after their dog. Seems reasonable to have some parks for dogs, and some parks for football, cricket, rugby etc.

Also, Gol is just 5/7 a side. You're proposing to stop the 11 a side game in Cardiff. Give you head a wobble.

Yet the fact SOME dog owners expect to be able to let their dogs shit all over the shop and expect others to pick up after them is not arrogance. If pitches are used by children then **** dog owners to be frank. With obesity etc, any spaces used to encourage children to exercise should be looked after and clean.

If the council provide sport and recreation facilities, they have to be fit for purpose, i.e. not covered in dog shit.

You wouldn't expect to find turds floating in the swimming pool at your local leisure centre (if they still exist).

You're dictating where people should play football, and letting dog walkers who are the issue roam free. When dog owners in this thread can see the problems, while you, who doesn't have a dog can't is more than a little odd. Nobody is tarring all dogs/dog owners with the same brush but unfortunately, some dog owners don't clean up after their dog. Seems reasonable to have some parks for dogs, and some parks for football, cricket, rugby etc.

Also, Gol is just 5/7 a side. You're proposing to stop the 11 a side game in Cardiff.Give you head a wobble.
    Why stop at eliminating the 11 a side game in Cardiff? I propose we ban all professional football in Britain on the grounds that it consumes too much electricity. Global warming should take precedence over people running around chasing a ball. Also ban TV's for the same reason. If we're going to be stupid we might as well be really stupid

Dogs are let off leads to run around, you could try and tell them to shit anywhere but on the pitches, but im not sure they would listen or understand 😄

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Gary Lineker, we are looking at you!

Quote Originally Posted by ken smith View Post
    Yet the fact SOME dog owners expect to be able to let their dogs shit all over the shop and expect others to pick up after them is not arrogance. If pitches are used by children then **** dog owners to be frank. With obesity etc, any spaces used to encourage children to exercise should be looked after and clean.
    The fat bastards should adopt a dog. That’ll get them out walking.

I was walking our dog down some fields near Porthcawl last winter, the took a shit and as I went to bag it a guy shouted across to me to leave it there, I thought he was having me on and continued to pick it up, had a chat and turned out he was the farmer said next time leave your shit in the fields it is good for land!

Obviously this was privately owned farm land, but never thought about it in that way before.

If the dogs can't play football, they should not be allowed to poo on the field.