+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: anyone done a tour of the WW 1 / 2 sites in Europe

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Re: anyone done a tour of the WW 1 / 2 sites in Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Thiepval and Tyne Cot are very moving and really bring home the enormity of the number of casualties during WW1, especially Thiepval when you realise all the names there are of men whose bodies were never found. The whole area around the Somme is dotted with WW1 cemeteries, some very small.

As has already been mentioned Monte Cassino is definitely worth a visit. You really need a tour guide there to appreciate the whole battle - we had a good one and we never would have realised the whole story without him. My father was with the Eighth Army there but he never talked about it. After he died I found a poem that he had written about it (A lament for Liri plain) which brings tears to my eyes every time I read it.
    My father fought in Greece, Crete, Tobruk El Alamein, Italy at Anzio to Monte Cassini and was demobbed from Italy. Never spoke of any of it except to others who were also there
    Very sad

Re: anyone done a tour of the WW 1 / 2 sites in Europe

i revisited this thread as now in serious planning mode for trips this year ( i need something to work towards )

do the sites get busy ? ? ?