+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Business Mileage

Business Mileage

I get 12p a mile compared to some on 45p (get a car allowance) and have been told you can claim some back from the government.

Has anyone done this and if so any issues afterwards?

Re: Business Milage

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I get 12p a mile compared to some on 45p (get a car allowance) and have been told you can claim some back from the government.

Has anyone done this and if so any issues afterwards?
    the 45p/25p rates are meant to cover all costs that a driver incurs on business, so if you're getting a monthly allowance as well then you can't [legitimately] claim the full allowances..

Yes you can claim back the difference,
    https://www.taxguideforstudents.org....-purposes#paid

You have to keep a record of your journeys and no home to office allowed. Give HMRC a bell if in doubt.
    Ps 11p seems paltry. Are you sure that's all you're getting?

Oops think I have misread post. You are getting an additional car allowance? If so ignore my post.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post

You have to keep a record of your journeys and no home to office allowed. Give HMRC a bell if in doubt.
    I thought that. WJ99, you'd need to be driving a reliant robin diesel to cover the petrol Shirley

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post

It’s 9p for a diesel under 1600cc

Always thought you could claim the difference between the 9-12p and the 45p

Re: Business Mileage

A car allowance is taxable income, so if it is usually paid with your salary and tax is deducted then it is totally separate from any mileage allowance that you are paid. It is not paid to cover running costs but usually to compensate you for not having a company vehicle. You can therefore still claim the difference between the 12p and 45p as a taxable allowance (on the first 10000 miles business use) and the difference between 12p and 25p (on the remainder of your business miles -if any). This will be used as an allowance against other taxable income, so your general tax payable will be reduced or you might get a refund at the end of the tax year. If your car allowance is paid without any tax being deducted then you will have to declare it to HMRC and will have to pay back tax on it but you can still claim the extra mileage allowance as an additional expense, so you wont be any worse off.