+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cooker/ Washing Machine installation

Cooker/ Washing Machine installation

Hopefully moving back to my house in Llanishen shortly when the renovation work is finished

Don't want to pay Currys installation prices for the white goods I will be ordering later this week (£75 for a cooker £25 for a washing machine, same for a dishwasher)

My son is waiting to hear from his mates if they have contacts who can do it.

In case this comes to nothing, any one here know of any installers who charge reasonable prices?

Thanks

Re: Cooker/ Washing Machine installation

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Hopefully moving back to my house in Llanishen shortly when the renovation work is finished

Don't want to pay Currys installation prices for the white goods I will be ordering later this week (£75 for a cooker £25 for a washing machine, same for a dishwasher)

In case this comes to nothing, any one here know of any installers who charge reasonable prices?

Thanks
    Is the cooker Gas? if so, it needs to be fitted by someone who is gas safe registered, they will fit it and check the pressure etc, if it's electric, then they should be qualified as well. I'm not saying that these jobs are difficult, but if someone ****s them up then it'll cost you a lot more than £100 to mop up the mess. I'd say that £100 combined isn't that bad.

Tbh they seem like reasonable prices especially if the cooker is gas

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Is the cooker Gas? if so, it needs to be fitted by someone who is gas safe registered, they will fit it and check the pressure etc, if it's electric, then they should be qualified as well. I'm not saying that these jobs are difficult, but if someone ****s them up then it'll cost you a lot more than £100 to mop up the mess. I'd say that £100 combined isn't that bad.
    No.

Electric.

I may well find in the end that these prices are reasonable ( I will pay £40 for my fridge freezer installation as that includes removing and replacing the doors on delivery)

I just assumed that Currys probably charge a bit over the odds

No.

Electric.

I may well find in the end that these prices are reasonable ( I will pay £40 for my fridge freezer installation as that includes removing and replacing the doors on delivery)

I just assumed that Currys probably charge a bit over the odds
    Currys probably get a cut of whatever they charge as the lads they use are generally sub contractors. Basically, you want to cut out the middle man, understandable. I don't think you'd get anyone to fit your washing machine for less than £25, and a qualified electrician would probably charge £50 to fit your cooker, so I wouldn't think that it'll be a huge saving, especially if you have to spend time searching for someone to do the job. Sometimes it's best to just bite the bullet-good luck though.

Currys probably get a cut of whatever they charge as the lads they use are generally sub contractors. Basically, you want to cut out the middle man, understandable. I don't think you'd get anyone to fit your washing machine for less than £25, and a qualified electrician would probably charge £50 to fit your cooker, so I wouldn't think that it'll be a huge saving, especially if you have to spend time searching for someone to do the job. Sometimes it's best to just bite the bullet-good luck though.
    You may be right. Thanks anyway

If you don't buy the fitting for an electric cooker they usually supply the cooker without the lead! I found out when I bought a new oven, so I kept the lead off the old oven and installed it myself. took 5 minutes.

You need pros to do the cooker, but I've done my own washing machine and dishwasher - it's easy.

Thanks
    Ummmm £75 to fit a cooker, it is a cable that attaches to the cooker point in the space, its a 5 min job,

£50 for the Washing machine and dishwasher, they will both be cold fill only ( they all seem to be that now ) So one connection to the washing machine valve, it just screws on, the waste will just fit on to a connection under the sink or on its own line, it will just push on ( warm the pipe up a little ) for extra peace of mind, fit a Jubilee clip around it

seriously, a decent handyman will do it in 1 hour

You have pm

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Ummmm £75 to fit a cooker, it is a cable that attaches to the cooker point in the space, its a 5 min job,

£50 for the Washing machine and dishwasher, they will both be cold fill only ( they all seem to be that now ) So one connection to the washing machine valve, it just screws on, the waste will just fit on to a connection under the sink or on its own line, it will just push on ( warm the pipe up a little ) for extra peace of mind, fit a Jubilee clip around it

seriously, a decent handyman will do it in 1 hour
    How much should he pay for the washing machine? he was quoted £25, that's a journey to the job and a journey back home if you've not got anything else on, anything less than £25 is slave wages. I live in a standard three bed house, I bet you could clean all my windows in 15 minutes, how much should I pay you if we're going down the time route as opposed to what you're getting.

I think you will find it will cost a lot more to install a washing machine and dishwasher. The Currys estimate assumes you have the appropriate plumbing in place which might not be the case. If the plumbing is in place the connection will probably take less than a minute. As for the electric oven you will require a length of appropriate cable to make the connection which is probably a 10 minute job.

I fitted my own electric cooker about 2 years ago. Didn't realise you had to get somebody in to do it?
    Was also looking to replace this electric cooker this week with a new gas cooker.
    I know I can uninstall the electric cooker easily and just watched a simple video on YouTube on how to install a gas cooker..
    It's just a bayonet to screw in surely?

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    I think you will find it will cost a lot more to install a washing machine and dishwasher. The Currys estimate assumes you have the appropriate plumbing in place which might not be the case. If the plumbing is in place the connection will probably take less than a minute. As for the electric oven you will require a length of appropriate cable to make the connection which is probably a 10 minute job.
    The house has just been renovated with a new kitchen complete rewire and replumbed where necessary including the dishwasher and washing machine pipes.

New cooker point as well

Thanks
    Isn't £100 for delivery and installation reasonable? That's half a day's work for two people. Sounds like a good deal to me.

The house has just been renovated with a new kitchen complete rewire and replumbed where necessary including the dishwasher and washing machine pipes.

New cooker point as well
    OK. The dishwasher and washing machines only require screwing on the pipes to the relevant points and the white goods. Easy taking a couple of minutes.

How much should he pay for the washing machine? he was quoted £25, that's a journey to the job and a journey back home if you've not got anything else on, anything less than £25 is slave wages. I live in a standard three bed house, I bet you could clean all my windows in 15 minutes, how much should I pay you if we're going down the time route as opposed to what you're getting.
    He shouldnt be paying anyone to do it, its very very simple to do

I mentioned a decent handyman, it would take 1 hour to install the cooker and both WM and DW, even if he wanted to go down the route of getting a sparks in for the cooker ( not needed, it really is just 3 connections from the cooker to the point ) he could still get a handyman in for the WM and DW and it would take a handyman 15 mins to do sure he might have to travel, but thats a £50 job, i know a few " semi-skilled handymen " around me who would fit them both and be happy with £25 for the job

you are right, a average 3 bed house will take me 15 mins, how much would i charge ? ? ? most prob £15, doesnt make it right though, but i got to pay for my holidays somehow

Thanks
    Hi Mate,

Those prices are good, I've worked in the kitychen industry for 30 years and when I worked in Installations (Up until July of last year) we would have paid the installers more than that and bear in mind that was when they were installing full kitchens - if it was just for those appliances (albeit they were mostly integrated fridges) we would have had to pay them a lot more.

Is the oven the same in terms power consumption as the previous one?

That being said you can do it yourself, but what people forget is that if it leaks after Currys fit it, the liability is with them.

I presume these costs also include them taking away the packaging etc.