+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Brexit bullying

  1. #1

    Brexit bullying

    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ocurement-pact

    Now the rest of the world is bullying us. This is so mean of them, they are only doing it because they know that David, Liam and Nigel were right when they promised the people that this would be easy because everyone needs us more than we need them.

    I wonder what UK public sector body the USA might want further opened up to their private sector in order to accept our membership?????

  2. #2

    Re: Brexit bullying

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ocurement-pact

    Now the rest of the world is bullying us. This is so mean of them, they are only doing it because they know that David, Liam and Nigel were right when they promised the people that this would be easy because everyone needs us more than we need them.

    I wonder what UK public sector body the USA might want further opened up to their private sector in order to accept our membership?????
    I made a similar comment several weeks ago on here. If the EU needed the UK as much as the UK needs the EU (as so many Brexiteers assured us) the scenario of bullying couldn't take place. Bullying can only take place when one party is stronger than the other.

  3. #3

    Re: Brexit bullying

    Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I made a similar comment several weeks ago on here. If the EU needed the UK as much as the UK needs the EU (as so many Brexiteers assured us) the scenario of bullying couldn't take place. Bullying can only take place when one party is stronger than the other.
    Also crashing out into a no-deal puts us in a very weak negotiating position with any other nations, as they know we are in a shit position and will probably accept anything.

  4. #4

    Re: Brexit bullying

    Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I made a similar comment several weeks ago on here. If the EU needed the UK as much as the UK needs the EU (as so many Brexiteers assured us) the scenario of bullying couldn't take place. Bullying can only take place when one party is stronger than the other.
    We are talking about politics though , in my view the rhetoric and the actual are two different things , and I'm fairly sure there is a behind the doors done deal ( NOT A PRETTY ONE ), if there's not then the EU are indeed bullying the UK decision in trying to force an election via no deal ,using the Labour/SNP and Liberal position of not voting for any deal ,and forcing upon us a second referendum , and on we go , and go and go until we get a yes ,depending on how many referendums we can master in the next ten years .

  5. #5

    Re: Brexit bullying

    Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    We are talking about politics though , in my view the rhetoric and the actual are two different things , and I'm fairly sure there is a behind the doors done deal ( NOT A PRETTY ONE ), if there's not then the EU are indeed bullying the UK decision in trying to force an election via no deal ,using the Labour/SNP and Liberal position of not voting for any deal ,and forcing upon us a second referendum , and on we go , and go and go until we get a yes ,depending on how many referendums we can master in the next ten years .
    I'm not sure where you are getting any of that from. The EU cannot force an election and the people involved in the negotiation would even say that it wasn't any of their business.
    The EU negotiators set out how they would respond right at the start of the process and have been very consistent, it is the Tories who are either incompetent in thinking that the EU would abandon its core principles to suit us, or just grandstanding to deflect the inevitable terrible outcome is not their fault and hoping that people blame the EU 'bullies' instead.

  6. #6

    Re: Brexit bullying

    Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I'm not sure where you are getting any of that from. The EU cannot force an election and the people involved in the negotiation would even say that it wasn't any of their business.
    The EU negotiators set out how they would respond right at the start of the process and have been very consistent, it is the Tories who are either incompetent in thinking that the EU would abandon its core principles to suit us, or just grandstanding to deflect the inevitable terrible outcome is not their fault and hoping that people blame the EU 'bullies' instead.
    To expand my view ( and thats all it is ) if the EU just dont want us to go ,and they know there is body off opposition in the UK who will never agree any Tory agreement to agree a deal ,they are not stupid as they know the government could be forced into a confidence vote and lose , hey ho a general election the one goal Labour would love ,whose no to say that closed doors conversation have taken place with opposition parties to the Tories over this matter ,with a hint ,hey we could get this turned over with enough bad press ,barriers and no easy resolution ,Labour wins , EU put off any further nations considering a Brexit vote ??

    Hey its just a view , not researched .

  7. #7

    Re: Brexit bullying

    Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    We are talking about politics though , in my view the rhetoric and the actual are two different things , and I'm fairly sure there is a behind the doors done deal ( NOT A PRETTY ONE ), if there's not then the EU are indeed bullying the UK decision in trying to force an election via no deal ,using the Labour/SNP and Liberal position of not voting for any deal ,and forcing upon us a second referendum , and on we go , and go and go until we get a yes ,depending on how many referendums we can master in the next ten years .
    But the point is about the concept of 'bullying', old fruit.....

  8. #8

    Re: Brexit bullying

    Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    We are talking about politics though , in my view the rhetoric and the actual are two different things , and I'm fairly sure there is a behind the doors done deal ( NOT A PRETTY ONE ), if there's not then the EU are indeed bullying the UK decision in trying to force an election via no deal ,using the Labour/SNP and Liberal position of not voting for any deal ,and forcing upon us a second referendum , and on we go , and go and go until we get a yes ,depending on how many referendums we can master in the next ten years .
    I'm sure there will be plenty of people who will be calling for another vote so that, this time, we can get things right - as they see it. However, isn't that what Farage, Bill Cash, the android Redwood and plenty of others were banging on about non stop for about thirty years before they finally got one? Farage even said that he would keep campaigning to leave even if the result went 52/48 against him in June 2016, so why on earth should those who want us to be a member of the EU give up on their wish just because there was a vote which showed that a 52/48 majority out of those who voted wanted to leave the EU on a certain day in this country's history?

  9. #9

    Re: Brexit bullying

    Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    To expand my view ( and thats all it is ) if the EU just dont want us to go ,and they know there is body off opposition in the UK who will never agree any Tory agreement to agree a deal ,they are not stupid as they know the government could be forced into a confidence vote and lose , hey ho a general election the one goal Labour would love ,whose no to say that closed doors conversation have taken place with opposition parties to the Tories over this matter ,with a hint ,hey we could get this turned over with enough bad press ,barriers and no easy resolution ,Labour wins , EU put off any further nations considering a Brexit vote ??

    Hey its just a view , not researched .
    I don't think the strategic position is that difficult to understand.

    The British want to leave the EU on terms that give it a competitive advantage over the EU by having some of the beneficial elements of the single market and customs union it likes but jettisoning some of the others and going its own way with the rest of the world. It is nowhere near ready to do that by the leaving date it self-imposed so wants a transitional period of 21 months before the full effects of its ambitions kick in and to allow a trade agreement with the EU to be negotiated when we properly leave on 1st January 2021.

    The EU, recognising the UK short term position is negotiating the withdrawal and transitional period on its own terms, money, citizen rights and above all the Irish Border. In the longer term, recognising that the UK will have another cliff edge approaching on 31 December 2020 will take its time in negotiating a future trade deal with the aim of giving itself a competitive advantage over the UK.

    That is why it has offered two models for the future, Norway where the UK pays large sums to retain access to the single market and has to abide by rules it had no say in formulating and no opportunity to strike its own trade deals or a basic free trade agreement similar to that negotiated with Canada (as long as that respects a frictionless Irish Border).

    The UK government has already rejected Norway because of its self-imposed red lines around the single market and customs union. Johnson, Davis and their chums are now selling Super Canada or Canada ++ as the answer. Another seductive but false promise which will not get much traction because the super or ++ bits we want from a UK perspective will be seen as -- by the EU who will be offering Canada or the cliff as its likely trade offering.

    If you want to call this bullying then if it makes you happy its a free (r) country I suppose.

  10. #10

    Re: Brexit bullying

    Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    To expand my view ( and thats all it is ) if the EU just dont want us to go ,and they know there is body off opposition in the UK who will never agree any Tory agreement to agree a deal ,they are not stupid as they know the government could be forced into a confidence vote and lose , hey ho a general election the one goal Labour would love ,whose no to say that closed doors conversation have taken place with opposition parties to the Tories over this matter ,with a hint ,hey we could get this turned over with enough bad press ,barriers and no easy resolution ,Labour wins , EU put off any further nations considering a Brexit vote ??

    Hey its just a view , not researched .
    That famous gut feeling, eh?

  11. #11

    Re: Brexit bullying

    Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    That famous gut feeling, eh?
    Yep that's an honest answer, I'm probaly talking shite, it's just a view ,there's a lot of muck slingers outside of the negoation from all parties, mostly based on gaining or scoring political advantage, bugger all to do with the people.

  12. #12

    Re: Brexit bullying

    Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I made a similar comment several weeks ago on here. If the EU needed the UK as much as the UK needs the EU (as so many Brexiteers assured us) the scenario of bullying couldn't take place. Bullying can only take place when one party is stronger than the other.
    Your definition is not precise enough.

    It is also where one party has the perception that it is stronger than the other.

  13. #13

    Re: Brexit bullying

    Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Your definition is not precise enough.

    It is also where one party has the perception that it is stronger than the other.
    You mean like this?

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35409274

    Was this bullying?

  14. #14

    Re: Brexit bullying

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    You mean like this?

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35409274

    Was this bullying?
    No

  15. #15

    Re: Brexit bullying

    Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    No
    That is strange because saying that the "EU needs us more than we need it" appears to fit "It is also where one party has the perception that it is stronger than the other" really well.

  16. #16

    Re: Brexit bullying

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    That is strange because saying that the "EU needs us more than we need it" appears to fit "It is also where one party has the perception that it is stronger than the other" really well.
    It shows that one party thinks it has an advantage over the other not necessarily that it is stronger But that wasn't your question.

    And I still don't think it is bullying

  17. #17

    Re: Brexit bullying

    Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    It shows that one party thinks it has an advantage over the other not necessarily that it is stronger But that wasn't your question.

    And I still don't think it is bullying
    That is peculiar, which bits of behaviour by the EU would you say constitutes bullying?

  18. #18

    Re: Brexit bullying

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    That is peculiar, which bits of behaviour by the EU would you say constitutes bullying?
    What is peculiar?

  19. #19

    Re: Brexit bullying

    Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    What is peculiar?
    I will answer that after you answer my question.

  20. #20

    Re: Brexit bullying

    https://twitter.com/uk_domain_names/...680473090?s=19

    This is a nice thread that explains clearly what brexit will mean. Nice because it's easy to understand. But not so nice because... well.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •