+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Is British opinion being fashioned by young, inexperienced "professionals" ?

Is British opinion being fashioned by young, inexperienced "professionals" ?

Watched the final episode of Press tonight. Found it overall rather light-weight and dumbed-down, but my main reservation was the portrayal of editors and main reporters as folk in their twenties, albeit highly educated.

I initially thought this was poor casting - until after further thought, I realized that this group do appear to be influential in all aspects of the media, forming and influencing public opinion.

If true, are they really qualified for this weighty responsibility?

Re: Is British opinion being fashioned by young, inexperienced "professionals" ?

As a piece of drama, I did enjoy it though ,it's a bit different to your lady cop in charge stuff.

As for opinion forming ,yes I think we know live in a political correct fashioned society lead by so called snowflakes.

Re: Is British opinion being fashioned by young, inexperienced "professionals" ?

Anyone who wants to earn real money and not do it for the love jumps the journalism ship for PR or marketing, which is why you get so many people leaving by the time they get into their 30s.
    I think it's a mistake to think people in their 20s aren't experienced enough to be editors or reporters. Most of the best reporters I've worked with have been in that bracket. The old stuck-in-their-ways farts tend to have coasted their whole lives and no longer earn their keep.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    As a piece of drama, I did enjoy it though ,it's a bit different to your lady cop in charge stuff.

As for opinion forming ,yes I think we know live in a political correct fashioned society lead by so called snowflakes.
    That's very reassuring that the likes of the Sun, Mail and Express no longer have such a hold on forming people's opinion.

Edward Bernays is the grandfather of modern journalism.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    That's very reassuring that the likes of the Sun, Mail and Express no longer have such a hold on forming people's opinion.
    Why those papers ? Same can be said of the Mirror, Observer, Guardian. People buy the paper that closest matches their opinions, not the other way around..

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Watched the final episode of Press tonight. Found it overall rather light-weight and dumbed-down, but my main reservation was the portrayal of editors and main reporters as folk in their twenties, albeit highly educated.

I initially thought this was poor casting - until after further thought, I realized that this group do appear to be influential in all aspects of the media, forming and influencing public opinion.

If true, are they really qualified for this weighty responsibility?
    Ironically, as the UK becomes increasingly dumbed-down in all aspects, a new elite has emerged over the last couple of decades who dictate and form and judge and lecture to the rest on how to live and behave. It's a return to a 19th century dynamic, albeit in the 21st century. How ironic !

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Why those papers ? Same can be said of the Mirror, Observer, Guardian. People buy the paper that closest matches their opinions, not the other way around..
    Somebody should launch the Conformation Bias Times for a laugh.

Ironically, as the UK becomes increasingly dumbed-down in all aspects, a new elite has emerged over the last couple of decades who dictate and form and judge and lecture to the rest on how to live and behave. It's a return to a 19th century dynamic, albeit in the 21st century. How ironic !
    Recently leaked internal documents from Google have shown that they are quite keen on censorship too.

Let’s be fair here. Has anyone on this board been influenced by the media, on anything they’ve voted on ?
    Surely not? I have my own basic opinions on every topic under the sun. If I’m undecided, I’ll do some research myself, but never in a million yrs would I be brainwashed by mainstream media.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Let’s be fair here. Has anyone on this board been influenced by the media, on anything they’ve voted on ?
    Surely not? I have my own basic opinions on every topic under the sun. If I’m undecided, I’ll do some research myself, but never in a million yrs would I be brainwashed by mainstream media.
    It's more subtle than that. Swayed by a thousand nudges. It's about the way the debate gets framed, and what is regarded as news in the first place. The individual might feel that they are impervious to it, but when you collect large numbers of people together, that's when it has an influence.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    I'm sure you believe everything you say..

I disagree. I believe newspapers do make a lot of people's minds up for them, including the Mirror, Guardian etc.

The fact that there are far more right wing papers out there, all desperately trying to avoid EU tax avoidance regulations, is obviously just a coincidence. Brexit, just one example, would never have happened without years of careful leading by the right wing media. Another is the debt levels of the UK. Shot up as a result of bailing out the banks, yet most believe that Labour caused the debt. No independent fiscal organisation backs up that fable, in fact I think they have all said the opposite, yet people believe this Government to be the party to trust with public finances, despite national debt nearly tripling in 8 years while wealth inequality has risen.

I wonder why Leveson 2 was cancelled? Could it be that this Government knows how well it does from the media and are hardly likely to shoot themselves in the foot?

The original propaganda "bible" written in 1928 - Propaganda by Edward Bernays

Another good read is "Amusing Ourselves To Death: Public Discourse In The Age Of Show Business".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amus...elves_to_Death

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I think the days of the press being the deliverer of opinion is gone ,social media is the opinion former and influencer now surely?

I think the days of the press being the deliverer of opinion is gone ,social media is the opinion former and influencer now surely?
    Until you find out that social media is also being censored and controlled.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Until you find out that social media is also being censored and controlled.
    Whatever exists in the form of regulation and censorship on the internet is not enough to stop the kids from being radicalised.Perhaps we should remember that disinformation is fastest growing online sport there is.

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    Whatever exists in the form of regulation and censorship on the internet is not enough to stop the kids from being radicalised.Perhaps we should remember that disinformation is fastest growing online sport there is.
    Google's idea of censorship is more to do with politics and picking sides, engineering outcomes, etc.

This thought is prolly further proof of my opening contention #opinionformer

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    Whatever exists in the form of regulation and censorship on the internet is not enough to stop the kids from being radicalised. Perhaps we should remember that disinformation is fastest growing online sport there is.
    yep they can monitor every word and action of mine ,if that means Pedophilia's and terrorists are caught, and our families and children live in a safe environment .

The rule of shiny objects: You need object A to achieve outcome B.