+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Homeless World Cup coming to Cardiff

Re: Homeless World Cup coming to Cardiff

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    All this complaining, can’t see what the big issue is myself!!!
    Dont worry, they will be selling them at 1/2 time

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I became interested as one of my relatives has worked with the Cardiff City Foundation. Playing football may seem trivial but the discipline and teamwork can really help people with various challenges gain the self-respect and confidence to start turning things around for themselves.
    Exactly,what I meant was some of the contributors to the thread won’t see it for what it is despite your best efforts

Is there a disincentive for them to find a home as it will jeopardise their place in the team?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Is there a disincentive for them to find a home as it will jeopardise their place in the team?
    Homelessness isn’t necessarily street homelessness, it can include people who are sofa surfing,in a Local authority hostel,supported accommodation,temporary accommodation,placed in a B and B.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Foxton View Post
    Homelessness isn’t necessarily street homelessness, it can include people who are sofa surfing,in a Local authority hostel,supported accommodation,temporary accommodation,placed in a B and B.
    I understand and I didn't intend doing down those who are in very unfortunate circumstances. It's just that drawing the line can't be straightforward.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I understand and I didn't intend doing down those who are in very unfortunate circumstances. It's just that drawing the line can't be straightforward.
    Fair point,the line is basically,if you are not a home owner, or don’t have a tenancy agreement,you can be classed as homeless.Even if you are housed and suffering health issues due to your accommodation,suffering domestic abuse or even living apart from your immediate family you can be classed as homeless.Organisations such as Street Football Wales,and who I work for(Llamau) are ultimately,through many different ways,trying to find suitable,permanent accommodation for these people.

Fair point,the line is basically,if you are not a home owner, or don’t have a tenancy agreement,you can be classed as homeless.Even if you are housed and suffering health issues due to your accommodation,suffering domestic abuse or even living apart from your immediate family you can be classed as homeless.Organisations such as Street Football Wales,and who I work for(Llamau) are ultimately,through many different ways,trying to find suitable,permanent accommodation for these people.
    Fair play to you, impressive event and worthy cause. Ignore the c0cks on here, if its not 1 thing its another but any reply gives them that feeling of sort of self worth.

That definition suggests the homeless problem is not as severe as is made out.

Quote Originally Posted by SABlue View Post
    Been on the website - Offers No explanation

Like I said can't get my head around someone who lives on the street - No home - No Job - goes football training week in and week out then gets to represent ones country !!!!!

Or am I so far off the point that's its ridiculous?
    I don't know about you but I'd definitely want to continue to play football for all the reasons I play now (exercise, friends, mental health) only even more important to keep it up. Also, jobs, and therefore longer term security, are still often about connections and people skills so keeping/building those is only a good thing.

Don't know what implications are of cost of travel and who pays against cost of regular shelter but that's maybe a secondary point.

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    It's just a ridiculous thing to go with everything else.

How long till we see the prison world cup, the gender fluid world cup, the lesbian world cup, the mixed race world cup.

Just a ridiculous and pointless event.

Who is going to watch it? Who is paying for it? What is the point?
    Just to clarify a few points.

The Homeless World Cup is a big sporting event. In Mexico City next month (the 16th running of the event) , there will be 47 different countries taking part with over 500 players and over 200,000 spectators at the venue in the middle of Mexico City.

In Cardiff next year , even more countries, players and spectators are expected.

In terms of paying for the event , next year`s World Cup is fully funded by individual and corporate sponsorship and NO money has come from UK , Welsh or Cardiff public funds. So no cost at all to the taxpayer.

As previously posted in this thread , the definition of homeless extends far beyond sleeping rough on the streets to those who have no permanent address and rely on short term hostel accommodation or "sofa surfing" at friends houses etc.

The idea of the HWC is to raise awareness of the homeless problem and leave a financial and awareness legacy for years to come so that those suffering from the problem have a chance to get back into "mainstream" society and "belong" again . HWC 2019 in Cardiff will be measured success wise as to the extent of that legacy it creates so that the work of Street Football Wales etc. can be continued in the future and it can continue its work that has already benefitted hundreds of people throughout Wales. I have personally seen the benefits that SFW has brought about and met many of the people who have brilliantly turned their world and life around with its support.
    When the event takes place here next year , take a bit of time out to speak to the competitors , their coaches, the referees etc (from the same background in many cases) - their stories are inspirational.

The definition of homeless is basically, if you are not a home owner, or don’t have a tenancy agreement,you can be classed as homeless. That means my son who earns over £50k a year and lives for work reasons with a few colleagues temporarily, has no tenancy agreement and no longer owns a home is classified as a homeless person. The definition also probably applies to many students and workers living away from the family home. I'm sorry but it seems to me that if that is the definition which applies the homeless problem is not nearly as serious as the media point out and the need therefore for such an event is probably not the most worthy of causes. Of course there will be many worthy cases and many inspirational characters but until the true magnitude of real homeless people is known, and by that I mean those living on the streets, this event will not attract my support. Just for the record I donate to several charities but not this one.

I think you’re being deliberately obtuse tbh, I don’t think people like your son would be seriously considered. I imagine if you did some proper research and didn’t rely on other people’s postings on here before turning your nose up at it you’d probably have a better understanding of the whole thing.

It’s been going on for quite a while and is considered very successful in contributing to fighting homelessness.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    The definition of homeless is basically, if you are not a home owner, or don’t have a tenancy agreement,you can be classed as homeless. That means my son who earns over £50k a year and lives for work reasons with a few colleagues temporarily, has no tenancy agreement and no longer owns a home is classified as a homeless person. The definition also probably applies to many students and workers living away from the family home. I'm sorry but it seems to me that if that is the definition which applies the homeless problem is not nearly as serious as the media point out and the need therefore for such an event is probably not the most worthy of causes. Of course there will be many worthy cases and many inspirational characters but until the true magnitude of real homeless people is known, and by that I mean those living on the streets, this event will not attract my support. Just for the record I donate to several charities but not this one.
    I can personally categorically assure you that the financial legacy benefits that will be derived from the Homeless World Cup will be used by charities such as Street Football Wales to assist the most deserving individuals.

If you still don`t believe in the cause but like to support charities , could I suggest you get your wallet out at the CCFC v Man Utd game just before Christmas where Cardiff City Supporters Trust have agreed with CCFC that a bucket collection will take place in support of homeless charity Wallich .

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I think you’re being deliberately obtuse tbh, I don’t think people like your son would be seriously considered. I imagine if you did some proper research and didn’t rely on other people’s postings on here before turning your nose up at it you’d probably have a better understanding of the whole thing.

It’s been going on for quite a while and is considered very successful in contributing to fighting homelessness.
    I was merely pointing out the ridiculous nature of the homeless definition which disguises the real extent of the real homeless (such as those living on the street) by including categories of the population who clearly should not be regarded as homeless.

I was merely pointing out the ridiculous nature of the homeless definition which disguises the real extent of the real homeless (such as those living on the street) by including categories of the population who clearly should not be regarded as homeless.
    I can understand your point about the technical definition , but don`t follow your "logic leap" to saying that is why you have no intention of supporting the HWC

Go look at the website and you’ll see that isn’t the definition though. Like 2 seconds of fact checking shows that. Why have such a strong opinion about something you don’t know much about?

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Go look at the website and you’ll see that isn’t the definition though. Like 2 seconds of fact checking shows that. Why have such a strong opinion about something you don’t know much about?
    I didn’t quote the definition verbatim,but here is the link to Shelter Cymru and the full definition https://sheltercymru.org.uk/get-advi...-homelessness/.
    I was trying to point out that in the case of the Homeless World Cup,it wouldn’t just be street homeless people competing.The definition I have provided would suggest the Homeless problem is far worse than people think,and for the very reason a lot of people would only class someone sleeping rough as homeless.

I didn’t quote the definition verbatim,but here is the link to Shelter Cymru and the full definition https://sheltercymru.org.uk/get-advi...-homelessness/.
    I was trying to point out that in the case of the Homeless World Cup,it wouldn’t just be street homeless people competing.The definition I have provided would suggest the Homeless problem is far worse than people think,and for the very reason a lot of people would only class someone sleeping rough as homeless.
    Thank you. I was responding to your definition but thank you for providing clarification.

Even good events like this won't be able to do enough. It terms of homelessness, the most vulnerable will be those not included in the official statistics because they don't want to engage with support services or public bodies. I know someone who has played in the HWC before and he is in a much different place now, but I also know that as vulnerable as he was he was, in some ways, much better off than others living on the streets. I hope that we continue to try and reach the most vulnerable as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Since62 View Post
    I can personally categorically assure you that the financial legacy benefits that will be derived from the Homeless World Cup will be used by charities such as Street Football Wales to assist the most deserving individuals.

If you still don`t believe in the cause but like to support charities , could I suggest you get your wallet out at the CCFC v Man Utd game just before Christmas where Cardiff City Supporters Trust have agreed with CCFC that a bucket collection will take place in support of homeless charity Wallich .
    Personally I dont trust any bucket collections. In fact there was a good article on it in last nights X Ray programme

Street Child World Cup does something similar. My friend used to work for them, they do phenomenal work.

Obviously the normal reaction is to get a bit angry about it and refuse to accept that it's a positive thing, even with the option of hard facts to read, but if anyone's a stupid enough snowflake to be interested, here's a link to their website https://www.streetchildunited.org/