+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Off Topic - Berlin Early December

Off Topic - Berlin Early December

Ok font of all knowledge - I am off to Berlin (again) at the beginning of December for three days to check out the Christmas markets. Well my missus is doing the markets and I will check out a bar or two. We went to Berlin earlier this year and really loved the place hence us going back again. So can anyone recommend some off the beaten track sights to check out?

We have done the main stuff like Museum Island, Brandenburg Gate, Reichstag, Fernsehturm, Checkpoint Charlie, Spandau, Potsdam, Gleis 17 and Charlottenburg Palace. When we were there last time we stumbled across Treptower Park and thought there must be more to see in the old Eastern part that was worth checking out. If you look at the places to visit in Berlin we have been to most of them so was looking for something a bit more off the beaten track and a bit quirky.

So anyone got any suggestions? Also any decent bars worth a visit for a genuine German type bar and not a tourist magnet. Thanks in advance.

Re: Off Topic - Berlin Early December

I loved the stasi museum.

That is on my list of things to do this time as we ran out of time last time. We also missed Hitler's bunker. Or car park as it is now.

I fancy the VW museum in Wolfsburg, by all accounts its only a 1 hour train trip from Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by Maccy Blue View Post
    That is on my list of things to do this time as we ran out of time last time. We also missed Hitler's bunker. Or car park as it is now.
    We did the walking tour with a guide. Very good. You go to the car park where Hitler’s bunker was sited. Worth doing for the history of Berlin.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I fancy the VW museum in Wolfsburg, by all accounts its only a 1 hour train trip from Berlin
    I think that will have to be another time - you can be there for ages apparently. Love their fottball shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    We did the walking tour with a guide. Very good. You go to the car park where Hitler’s bunker was sited. Worth doing for the history of Berlin.
    I quite like walking tours so this sounds great. I did see a bike tour that took in most of the Berlin wall but my missus is a ferking mare on a bike so we can't do that! Do you have a link?

It was a Sandeman’s free walking tour where you give a tip at the end. It lasted about three hours. Just look online and you can find out when the tours are each day and where they meet and start. We really enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    It was a Sandeman’s free walking tour where you give a tip at the end. It lasted about three hours. Just look online and you can find out when the tours are each day and where they meet and start. We really enjoyed it.
    Cheers mate - will have a look into this.

8MM bar.

Daniel Libeskind’s Jewish Museum is an interesting place if you like Architecture that tells a story.

I found one of the pieces of artwork in there really haunting...

The fish tank you can take an elevator through in the lobby of the Radisson Blu as part of Sea World (I think) was also pretty spectacular.

As you said you’d been to Museum Island I assume you’ve seen the altar in the Pergamon Museum, which is pretty spectacular.

Berlin is a special City and I hope to go back soon too

Have a look at what Berliner Unterwelten have on offer....underground/bunker tours.

Quote Originally Posted by Maccy Blue View Post
    Ok font of all knowledge - I am off to Berlin (again) at the beginning of December for three days to check out the Christmas markets. Well my missus is doing the markets and I will check out a bar or two. We went to Berlin earlier this year and really loved the place hence us going back again. So can anyone recommend some off the beaten track sights to check out?

We have done the main stuff like Museum Island, Brandenburg Gate, Reichstag, Fernsehturm, Checkpoint Charlie, Spandau, Potsdam, Gleis 17 and Charlottenburg Palace. When we were there last time we stumbled across Treptower Park and thought there must be more to see in the old Eastern part that was worth checking out. If you look at the places to visit in Berlin we have been to most of them so was looking for something a bit more off the beaten track and a bit quirky.

So anyone got any suggestions? Also any decent bars worth a visit for a genuine German type bar and not a tourist magnet. Thanks in advance.
    Being into military history I found Templehof fascinating...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin_Tempelhof_Airport

Quote Originally Posted by Shep Proudfoot View Post
    Being into military history I found Templehof fascinating...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin_Tempelhof_Airport
    We did have a quick trip out to see that - it is amazing. Is it worth paying to do the tour inside?

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    Have a look at what Berliner Unterwelten have on offer....underground/bunker tours.
    Cheers will check that out.

The green door is a bit of a cliche now bit good.

If winter badeschiff is still going and you can handle the whole naked thing, definitely worth a visit.

wonderful city ,as is most Germany cities , go to Brandenburg Gate just by the coffee shop , history students do a free 4 hours walking tour, fascinating.

https://original-europe-tours.com/to...EaAtVlEALw_wcB

we tipped them at the end as it was so worth it