+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: FT: Ireland 0 - 1 Wales (official match thead)

Re: FT: Ireland 0 - 1 Wales (official match thead)

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    We could have won that by three or four but even so that second half was impressive. We are blessed with youngsters that can score fabulous goals. My ratings tonight fwiw.

Hennessey 7 Important early save and rock solid throughout
    Roberts 6 Solid
    Williams 6 Struggled to win headers but overall fine
    Chester 7 Strong performance
    Davies 7 Showed his class throughout
    Smith 7 Shaky start but really improved
    Allen 8 MoTM. Linked up the play superbly and won several tackles
    Lawrence 5 Poor free kicks and too selfish at times
    Wilson 7 Scored a fabulous goal and grew in confidence
    Brooks 6 Was targetted by the Irish but still lively
    Roberts 7 I thought he was terrific. He holds the ball well and showed some nice touches.

Giggs 8 Got the selection spot on.
    Have to disagree with Lawrence statement.

He needed to be selfish as it stopped Ireland being so regimented

Cutting inside caused Ireland loads of issues he just needed to get his shots on target

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    No he’s not
    Who is? There was a huge difference in our playing out from the back without Ampadu, it was very laboured at times. With Ampadu in the team the movement looks effortless, and we missed his long range passing too. For me he is now the second name on the team sheet after Bale.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Who is? There was a huge difference in our playing out from the back without Ampadu, it was very laboured at time. With Ampadu in the team the movement looks effortless, and we missed his long range passing too.
    Bale and Ramsey are light years ahead of Ampadu, I think it’s just a case we haven’t had the type of player of Ampadu for a long time which makes him look special. Last piece of the jigsaw so to speak.

He has shown that he can cope spraying balls round under a bit pressure but the other two have shown quality at the highest level.

I think Ampadu is great and going to be a cracking player but I think saying he’s second is doing a lot of our 2016 team a massive disservice.

Anyone else think, right at the end when we cleared that corner to the edge of the box, think "thank fook that has fallen to Harry Arter" as he blazed his shot high and wide?

MATCH REPORT: Ireland 0 - 1 Wales. Harry Wilson's stunning free kick ensured Wales won in Dublin for the first time since 1992.

https://behindthegoal.cymru/2018/10/...and-0-1-wales/

Bale and Ramsey are light years ahead of Ampadu, I think it’s just a case we haven’t had the type of player of Ampadu for a long time which makes him look special. Last piece of the jigsaw so to speak.

He has shown that he can cope spraying balls round under a bit pressure but the other two have shown quality at the highest level.

I think Ampadu is great and going to be a cracking player but I think saying he’s second is doing a lot of our 2016 team a massive disservice.
    I'm not saying Ramsey is not a top player, but we look a far better side with Ampadu in it.

I'm not saying Ramsey is not a top player, but we look a far better side with Ampadu in it.
    Only because we have some amazing youngsters to fill in the Ramsey position when he’s not playing. Brooks, Lawrence, Woodburn and Thomas came in today.

We don’t have many of the Ampadu mould to fill in at the DM role.

Only because we have some amazing youngsters to fill in the Ramsey position when he’s not playing. Brooks, Lawrence, Woodburn and Thomas came in today.

We don’t have many of the Ampadu mould to fill in at the DM role.
    He is more than a DM, he is a playmaker or regista. You can build your whole team around these type of players. If Ampadu was on the pitch we wouldn't have struggled like we did in the first half. And you are right about the emerging young talent, we finally have a lot more options

Interesting Giggs picked out captain Ashley as his MOM, just for doing the basics.
    You could feel Giggs's relief, and understandably so after the disaster this team experienced last week against Spain.

Sol Bamba had a similar impact for Warnock in his first game in charge when we were really struggling at the bottom of the league after Trollope's tenure.

Let's hope that we have put that Spain game firmly behind us and Wales progress under Giggs as City had done under our Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Interesting Giggs picked out captain Ashley as his MOM, just for doing the basics.
    You could feel Giggs's relief, and understandably so after the disaster this team experienced last week against Spain.

Sol Bamba had a similar impact for Warnock in his first game in charge when we were really struggling at the bottom of the league after Trollope's tenure.

Let's hope that we have put that Spain game firmly behind us and Wales progress under Giggs as City had done under our Neil.
    It looked like Osian Roberts was calling the shots, when the camera zoomed in on the coaching area he was telling Giggs what instructions to give the players.

Have to disagree with Lawrence statement.

He needed to be selfish as it stopped Ireland being so regimented

Cutting inside caused Ireland loads of issues he just needed to get his shots on target
    No worries. We all see things differently. There was a moment when we had the ball deep in their half when he tried a flick which didn’t work out and allowed Ireland to break. It was with just a few minutes to go. Sometimes he needs to do the basics first.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    That was just to wind up G rangetown Blue

I have a feeling he will not be happy about it

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    That was just to wind up G rangetown Blue

I have a feeling he will not be happy about it

Re: Ireland v Wales (official match thead)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    See the Irish fans with an Irish fag and a big fat Cardiff city badge in the middle?
    I think you need to elaborate a bit more on this

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    No worries. We all see things differently. There was a moment when we had the ball deep in their half when he tried a flick which didn’t work out and allowed Ireland to break. It was with just a few minutes to go. Sometimes he needs to do the basics first.
    Agreed he makes some strange decisions he had a simple ball to Wilson in the second half but decided to take it on himself and scuff it with his weaker left foot

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Agreed he makes some strange decisions he had a simple ball to Wilson in the second half but decided to take it on himself and scuff it with his weaker left foot
    Hopefully he is paying attention to what Lampard has to say at Derby, he's got a good young manager to learn from there.

I know Brooks is still learning and developing, but that lad has got some serious skills. He is such an exciting player to watch, and must be a nightmare to play against, because he always waits for the opposing player to make a move before doing something entirely unpredictable. He has got a quick mind and quick feet. If he continues progressing like he has done, surely it won't be too long before one of the top clubs come knocking? He was the England U20s best player, so they must be gutted he's playing for us.

Who is? There was a huge difference in our playing out from the back without Ampadu, it was very laboured at times. With Ampadu in the team the movement looks effortless, and we missed his long range passing too. For me he is now the second name on the team sheet after Bale.
    But he hardly gets in the squad for Chelsea, while Ramsey would walk into their starting line up. The kid got huge potential, and I’m a huge admirer, but don’t be so ridiculous for gods sake. Ramsey was our best player at the euros. He’s scored at every level. He’s controlled games at every level. He’s one of Arsenal’s all time top scoring midfielders, and he’s at the peak of his powers at 27! I hope Ampadu becomes a better player, but to say he’s ahead of Ramsey on the team sheet is just silly. He’s not above Allen yet.

Great result, decent second half. We could easily have scored 3. Gotta give Giggs credit. I’m one of the ones who wanted Bellamy, who I believe would also field youth players, but Giggs is getting it right. The experience from tonight will be huge for the youngsters, who are performing well at their clubs. Brooks won’t be at Bournemouth long, he’s destined for big things.

I think you need to elaborate a bit more on this
    Before the game, these Irish fans had an flag with green white and orange stripes, and a cardiff City badge in the centre

He is more than a DM, he is a playmaker or regista. You can build your whole team around these type of players. If Ampadu was on the pitch we wouldn't have struggled like we did in the first half. And you are right about the emerging young talent, we finally have a lot more options
    We struggled against Denmark with Ampadu playing

He’s too young to be relied on.

I saw a tweet from Gary Linekar. Someone was moaning that Sterling had only scored a few goals for England, and Linekar said he’s 23. I hadn’t even made my debut at that age.

I think that’s relevant, somehow 😂

So is it okay to like Giggs in Cardiff now ?

We struggled against Denmark with Ampadu playing
    And Ramsey was the captain

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    So is it okay to like Giggs in Cardiff now ?
    Unless you're related

But he hardly gets in the squad for Chelsea
    Sarri is an idiosyncratic manager, he picks his team and he sticks with it. Barring injuries, I don't think we will see much of Ampadu this season. In saying that, I'm sure the other 19 Premier League teams would love to have him on their books. Chelsea have never had a very good track record with youngsters, and now it is probably going to be even worse. Loftus-Cheek is 22 and struggling for game-time this season. It may sound crazy, but I think Ampadu is a typical Man Utd type of player, and he may have made the wrong choice going to Chelsea.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    Unless you're related