+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: FT: Ireland 0 - 1 Wales (official match thead)

Re: FT: Ireland 0 - 1 Wales (official match thead)

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    This is the sort of thing I mean by us relying too much on the will of dual-nationality players.,..this one is kind of the other way round though....in that he’s very much welsh in terms of upbringing...

“Born in Liverpool, Matondo is also eligible for England but - for now at least - is happy with the country where he has spent the majority of his life.

"I am set on Wales at the moment, we'll see what happens but I'm set on Wales."”

That type of thing makes me feel nervy...so nervy that I’d be tempted to fastrack him through to the senior squad. At least that way you know where you stand with the kid.
    We'll see what happens could mean both ways. Its possible that Wales don't want him in the future.

If I was a youngster, I'd be conscious about appearing arrogant as most players don't become internationals. That could be what he means.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    We'll see what happens could mean both ways. Its possible that Wales don't want him in the future.

If I was a youngster, I'd be conscious about appearing arrogant as most players don't become internationals. That could be what he means.
    Yes, I suppose it isn’t entirely clear what he means and maybe the previous paragraph frames it in a “there’s still a chance for england” way . I imagine he was asked something to effect of “born in england, representing wales, is that where you see your future??” .....ye, it’s speculative regardless.

It’s just nice when the talent doesn’t have to make a choose!

...... re. Wales wanting him. He looks the part if his vids are anything to go by. Another potentially exciting forward player.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    Yes, I suppose it isn’t entirely clear what he means and maybe the previous paragraph frames it in a “there’s still a chance for england” way . I imagine he was asked something to effect of “born in england, representing wales, is that where you see your future??” .....ye, it’s speculative regardless.

It’s just nice when the talent doesn’t have to make a choose!

...... re. Wales wanting him. He looks the part if his vids are anything to go by. Another potentially exciting forward player.
    I'm sure we do want him; but us saying that is different to him suggesting it, that's what I meant about not appearing arrogant.

People move from Wales to get jobs in England, stay after going to uni there, etc, it's pretty common. I think we'll have a lot more like this in future where a player is Welsh by family but born in a different country.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I'm sure we do want him; but us saying that is different to him suggesting it, that's what I meant about not appearing arrogant.

People move from Wales to get jobs in England, stay after going to uni there, etc, it's pretty common. I think we'll have a lot more like this in future where a player is Welsh by family but born in a different country.
    Do you not think we might get the players who are not quite good enough or who don’t have the ambition to do it for England ? In that case, we’d always be a little bit behind....maybe that’s our natural position though, considering the size of the country.

Like I say, as long as it’s complimenting a strong unit of homegrown players, it will be a welcome bonus to welcome more players of the calibre of brooks and ampadu.

People move about a lot more than they used to. It's almost a requirement nowadays with the rise of the multi-national corporations, and consolidation in business sectors, e.g. if you are an accountant, most people aspire to having a Big Four accountancy firm on their CV, so you have to move where the jobs are.