Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
Personally I don't react to the digs in a negative way. Talksport may have said a few things after the Euros but as far as I remember Ashley Williams was first spotted when playing for Stockport County so it was a Swansea and Welsh education than helped develop his potential, and he says there are no questions about his kids cause they are definitely Welsh. Mostl dual-qualified players now are spotted in their teens (if not younger) so again go through a Welsh footballing education which develops that sense of identity and connection.

Historically, admittedly, there are examples of players in their mid/late twenties who have been picked because they fit a need and until that moment they probably don't consider themselves Welsh. Not so much a fan of that but cannot rule them out if they come to Wales later on in life. I guess you would have to have an honest conversation about whether they want to embrace that part of their identity or whether it's just cause whoever it is hasn't come knocking.
Think about Wales' greatest players. Meredith, Keenor, Ford, the Charles brothers, Morgan, Tapscott, Allchurch, Jones, Thomas, Thomas,Davies, Medwin, Hennessey, Sherwood, Flynn, England, James, Phillips,Toshack, Mahoney, Nicholas, Southall, Melville, Coleman, Davies, Ratcliffe, Hughes, Rush, Saunders, Giggs, Horne, Robinson, Speed, Savage, Hartson, Pembridge, Jones, Bowen, Gabbidon, Collins, Page, Koumas, Bale, Ramsey, Hennessey, Bellamy, Blake, Davies, Ledley, Allen, Davies.All born in Wales.

The only "greats" not on the list of Welsh born players are David Phillips, Earnie, Williams, Page, Robson Kanu, Vokes, Chester and maybe Simon Church. All of the world famous players in our history are Welsh born and bred.