+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Real Madrid protest to Spanish FA over La Liga plans for Girona-Barcelona game in US

Real Madrid protest to Spanish FA over La Liga plans for Girona-Barcelona game in US

Real Madrid have opposed staging a Spanish league game between Barcelona and Girona in the United States.

La Liga asked the Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) for permission to hold the match in Miami on 26 January.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45887927

Re: Real Madrid protest to Spanish FA over La Liga plans for Girona-Barcelona game in US

Basically don't want to miss out on the dollars.

Re: Real Madrid protest to Spanish FA over La Liga plans for Girona-Barcelona game in US

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Basically don't want to miss out on the dollars.
    Real have said they won't play abroad at all. Real Madrid might be the good guys here, which is a little odd.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/real-madr...orentino-perez

I'm with Real on this one. Set's a bad precedent.

I wonder if they would have done so if it was Barcas home game?. The package which was presented to the Girona fans was very appealing

NFL goes abroad and I don't really see a problem with it. Strange it's America because it's not like they haven't got a decent league out there.

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    I wonder if they would have done so if it was Barcas home game?. The package which was presented to the Girona fans was very appealing

NFL goes abroad and I don't really see a problem with it. Strange it's America because it's not like they haven't got a decent league out there.
    I don't think the teams are that into it TBH. It's very disruptive. Last week, two west coast teams had to fly a 10,000 mile round trip with two 10 hour flights. And the Raiders lost a home fixture.

One more move towards a european super league. Sad site to see.

Quote Originally Posted by TWMY View Post
    One more move towards a european super league. Sad site to see.
    I'd personally love all the big teams to **** off into a European super league, they would not be missed.

The more i think about it the more i second that notion

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    I think it was pitched so that the big teams wouldn't lose a home game. The same with the Monday and Friday night fixture, it'll never be the big 2.

Spain shits all over the fans, they couldn't give a flying f***. Fixture times are confirmed 10 days in advance, you might have to travel well over 500 miles for a Sunday evening kick off.

What they need to do in Spain is claim the hundreds of millions of unpaid taxes by these teams, or seize the assets then let's see how F***ing special Barca and Madrid are!!

Surely the US Football federation (or FA or whatever they're called) would have to sanction a competitive game taking place within their jurisdiction? Why would they do that if it was likely to impact on the revenue of their own clubs/ leagues? Or is it in order to garner a bigger interest in the game in the US which in turn would increase their revenue?