+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wales v Denmark

Re: Wales v Denmark

I think put simply, if we beat Denmark we get promoted to the Premier League (League A) of the Nations League and go on to a knockout section, the winners of which qualify for Euro 2020. So let's beat Denmark.

So glad that we've managed to clear up all the confusion and uncertainty surrounding this competition.

I've bookmarked this thread, and I'll be back in about 5 years to see if you lot have worked it all out yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    I've bookmarked this thread, and I'll be back in about 5 years to see if you lot have worked it all out yet.
    Quite like the idea of your 5 year sabbatical. Enjoy!

FFS - Your all Clueless .......... If we beat Denmark at home then we will qualify for the Playoffs - That means we will qualify for the Asia Cup, COPA America and the African cup of Nations .... PLUS the WORLD CUP

We beat Denmark, we get promoted into League A where we will then be drawn into a three team group against other teams in League A (France, Spain etc). If we win that group we go into the Nations Cup playoff to decide who wins the whole thing against the other group A winners

Its also a safeguard for if we don't qualify for the Euro through conventional qualifying, if we win against Denmark we are guaranteed a spot in the Euro playoffs in March 2020, should we not qualify through the usual qualifiers, if we do qualify normally our spot in the playoffs gets passed onto the next best team

These groups sort out pots for the Euro draw, best 10 in Group A= Pot 1, 2 worst in Group A and the 8 best in Group B (winners + runners up)=Pot 2, and so on. The ideal place for Wales to be is in either Group A or B of the Nations League as it will guarantee at least pot 2

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    We beat Denmark, we get promoted into League A where we will then be drawn into a three team group against other teams in League A (France, Spain etc). If we win that group we go into the Nations Cup playoff to decide who wins the whole thing against the other group A winners

Its also a safeguard for if we don't qualify for the Euro through conventional qualifying, if we win against Denmark we are guaranteed a spot in the Euro playoffs in March 2020, should we not qualify through the usual qualifiers, if we do qualify normally our spot in the playoffs gets passed onto the next best team

These groups sort out pots for the Euro draw, best 10 in Group A= Pot 1, 2 worst in Group A and the 8 best in Group B (winners + runners up)=Pot 2, and so on. The ideal place for Wales to be is in either Group A or B of the Nations League as it will guarantee at least pot 2
    Are you saying a win is quite important?

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Isn't the playoff before the League A promotion? So we go into the League B playoff in 2019 as winners of the group( if not already qualified) and the next time around (2020) we play in League A. That was my understanding atleast.

Where I get completely lost is what happens if Denmark win the group but then qualify through the euro qualifiers. I assumed 2nd in our group would then get the play off spot but the rules I read somewhere suggest it then goes on rankings ??

Y
    Quote Originally Posted by caerkid View Post
    Isn't the playoff before the League A promotion? So we go into the League B playoff in 2019 as winners of the group( if not already qualified) and the next time around (2020) we play in League A. That was my understanding atleast.

Where I get completely lost is what happens if Denmark win the group but then qualify through the euro qualifiers. I assumed 2nd in our group would then get the play off spot but the rules I read somewhere suggest it then goes on rankings ??
    Yes I think that’s right about the rankings, the 4 group B winners will play off for a place for Euro 2020 after the qualifiers have finished in March. However if one of those 4 group winners has already qualified via the main qualification route my understanding is that the next team promoted to this play off is from the teams that finished 2nd but based on their UEFA ranking rather than their results - but I could be wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    Y

Yes I think that’s right about the rankings, the 4 group B winners will play off for a place for Euro 2020 after the qualifiers have finished in March. However if one of those 4 group winners has already qualified via the main qualification route my understanding is that the next team promoted to this play off is from the teams that finished 2nd but based on their UEFA ranking rather than their results - but I could be wrong!
    My head hurts

Surely the Nations League can't be that important if Ramsey skipped the Irish game knowing we were Baleless?

Yes, if we win against Denmark we are guaranteed a spot in the Euro playoffs in March 2020, that's what the current League B are aiming for, the next League A and Nations Cup is after that

It goes on group positions

For any fans of Radio 4's I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue, it is helpful to know that the Nations League rules were invented by the same comedians who invented Mornington Crescent.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    For any fans of Radio 4's I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue, it is helpful to know that the Nations League rules were invented by the same comedians who invented Mornington Crescent.
    Of course it's out of the question to think for one minute that it could all be one massive cock up.

I've read this thread and a number of links to how it works and, just when I think I've got my head round it, someone posts something which makes me think that I'm really none the wiser.

I can see a Trump-type person proposing something and the committee all voting 'aye'.
    The scheme is made to sound feasible and so confidently defended when questions are posed that each individual is scared to question further for fear of ridicule, even though they don't get it.

Yes. The play offs are in March 2019. The new set of Nation League fixtures would be in 2020 and I suspect there will be World Cup places up for grabs via the play offs again.

There is no way Wales won't have a chance in nations league play off if need it. In fact I would be surprised not to see Ireland in it.

The best thing about beating Denmark is it means by the next euros would be guaranteed being in league 1 or 2. Which pretty much guarantees a play off spot.

If Denmark top our group and qualify we don't automatically get the next spot it would be who had the most points from league 2.

I like the idea and think people will understand it more once the tables are finalised.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Yes. The play offs are in March 2019. The new set of Nation League fixtures would be in 2020 and I suspect there will be World Cup places up for grabs via the play offs again.
    Only if the world cup would be expanded which is unlikely. I would expect it for the following world cup with 2 additional spaces being used from league 1 and 2.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Agreed, just let them get on with it - I think the Europa League is an improvement on what was there before and that will probably still be the case when it's finished.
    This says it all for me. If TOBW is getting confused between club football with the Europa League and international football then this Nations Cup thing is past the point of no return.

Win as many games as we can and see where it leaves us

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Agreed, just let them get on with it - I think the Europa League is an improvement on what was there before and that will probably still be the case when it's finished.
    Bring back the Fairs' Cup