+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cardiff and Huddersfield On Course To Do a Derby?

Cardiff and Huddersfield On Course To Do a Derby?

Things already looking bleak for clubs near the Premier League basement

https://www.theguardian.com/football...rdiff-football

Re: Cardiff and Huddersfield On Course To Do a Derby?

Once we get the filthy scoucers out of the way we have a good run of 9/10 games that are winnable

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Once we get the filthy scoucers out of the way we have a good run of 9/10 games that are winnable
    We had winnable games against against Burnley, Newcastle and Huddersfield but look what happened then

Crystal Palace didn't even score a goal in their first seven games last season, losing to Huddersfield, Swansea, Burnley and Southampton on the way. And shipping 9 goals in 7 days to the two Manchester clubs. They did however beat Chelsea in their 8th. Having said that, I don't think we'll avoid relegation. Not without significant improvement to the squad anyway.

Said it confidently for a couple weeks now, a new record low points total will be set by the team who finishes 17th.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post

Can't remember too much about Derby that year but did they come back down stronger? Did they demonstrate short-term thinking? Think the aim has always been to do a Burnley or better and Derby obviously haven't managed that.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Can't remember too much about Derby that year but did they come back down stronger? Did they demonstrate short-term thinking? Think the aim has always been to do a Burnley or better and Derby obviously haven't managed that.
    In the two windows they shipped 36 (yes 36) players out, brought 21 replacements in & finished a dismal 18th

So they didn't get relegated the "right way" like we're going to?

Fools! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha !

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Can we please be serious.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post

He mentions 40 points, that's a bit of a myth. Southampton stayed up with 36, the Jacks got 33 last season. Watford got 40 in 2016/17 but Hull were 18th with 34. Birmingham and Blackpool went down with 39 points in 2011-12, that's the last time anyone has gone down with more than 37 points.

Also, why can't Newcastle do a Derby? They're just as bad. FWIW, I don't think anyone will "do a Derby" as there are too many rubbish sides. Someone might get 20 points or something but teams will pick up wins against the three sides in the relegation zone, Fulham, Burnley, Southampton etc.

I reckon anything less than us tripling our current points total by the time the next international break comes around will mean we are virtual certainties for relegation and a possible lowest points ever record. Reading the comments section of that article, I was interested by what people had to say about Burnley - for me, they were very, very ordinary against us (I'll be surprised if we see a worse visiting team in the Premier League at Cardiff City Stadium this season) and yet, albeit luckily, they still beat us.

One other thing, if the plan is to budget for a probable return to the Championship this season and then try and build a stronger team for the second tier than the one we had last season, then consideration must surely be given as to whether Neil Warnock would be the best man to have in charge. For all that he talks about our small budget, the truth is that City have spent around £35 million in transfer fees in 2018 with very little transfer revenue coming in to try and balance the books. We paid that money for just five players and the truth is that, in a team with two points from eight matches, only one of them (Josh Murphy) can be termed a near certainty in what is regarded as our strongest side - I'd say that it's definitely true that Neil Warnock's best transfer dealings at Cardiff have come in the free transfer or Bosman market, he's been nowhere near as impressive when he's had money to spend.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I reckon anything less than us tripling our current points total by the time the next international break comes around will mean we are virtual certainties for relegation and a possible lowest points ever record. Reading the comments section of that article, I was interested by what people had to say about Burnley - for me, they were very, very ordinary against us (I'll be surprised if we see a worse visiting team in the Premier League at Cardiff City Stadium this season) and yet, albeit luckily, they still beat us.

One other thing, if the plan is to budget for a probable return to the Championship this season and then try and build a stronger team for the second tier than the one we had last season, then consideration must surely be given as to whether Neil Warnock would be the best man to have in charge. For all that he talks about our small budget, the truth is that City have spent around £35 million in transfer fees in 2018 with very little transfer revenue coming in to try and balance the books. We paid that money for just five players and the truth is that, in a team with two points from eight matches, only one of them (Josh Murphy) can be termed a near certainty in what is regarded as our strongest side - I'd say that it's definitely true that Neil Warnock's best transfer dealings at Cardiff have come in the free transfer or Bosman market, he's been nowhere near as impressive when he's had money to spend.
    I agree. Bamba and Hoilett were absolute steals as free transfers. Warnock is a great wheeler and dealer. On the other hand, Tomlin and Madine have not provided a return on their investment (although I'd still give Tomlin a second chance). There's nothing I've seen in Cunningham (to date) that tells me he's any better than Bennett. Reid could still cut it at this level but may suffer with our style of play, whilst Smithies may be a snip at £4m but is currently not needed.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

Spot on Bob

The squad needs a shake up in January, of course new signings will do this but cutting a bit of deadwood and adding Pilkington & Tomlin might be a plan, we could certainly do with one or the other now to freshen things up. Shame that we’re going to be missing Etheridge for a spell as going with two ‘keepers would be a risk worth taking I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    The squad needs a shake up in January, of course new signings will do this but cutting a bit of deadwood and adding Pilkington & Tomlin might be a plan, we could certainly do with one or the other now to freshen things up. Shame that we’re going to be missing Etheridge for a spell as going with two ‘keepers would be a risk worth taking I reckon.
    We don't need a 25 man squad, our issue is we've only got 15 or so players that I think are anywhere near good enough (that isn't to say we have 15 PL players by the way). God help us if Arter or Camarasa get injured for any length of time. Our biggest issue is Reid, Cunningham and Smithies haven't strengthened the side at all, they can't even get in it! I think they're good Championship players, and I still have hope for Reid in the PL but that's where we've fallen down. Murphy and Paterson are the two success stories from Warnock spending money. Ward has been OK but Tomlin, Bogle, Madine and the remainder of this season's signings haven't come off. His free signings and loans have been absolutely superb though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    We don't need a 25 man squad, our issue is we've only got 15 or so players that I think are anywhere near good enough (that isn't to say we have 15 PL players by the way). God help us if Arter or Camarasa get injured for any length of time. Our biggest issue is Reid, Cunningham and Smithies haven't strengthened the side at all, they can't even get in it! I think they're good Championship players, and I still have hope for Reid in the PL but that's where we've fallen down. Murphy and Paterson are the two success stories from Warnock spending money. Ward has been OK but Tomlin, Bogle, Madine and the remainder of this season's signings haven't come off. His free signings and loans have been absolutely superb though.
    This is why Pilkington should have been or must be brought into the 25, he’s been a bigger goal threat for us than any of the players you’ve mentioned. Hard done by, I reckon.

Stuart Pearce this morning stated we are nailed on for relegation, Huddersfield probably,then said Newcastle as well.
    Hard to disagree unless we pick up 3 points tomorrow.