+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nathan Blake is so right.............................

Nathan Blake is so right.............................

our strikers should be ashamed of themselves that Callum Paterson is currently playing centre forward for us.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...assed-15295417

Re: Nathan Blake is so right.............................

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    our strikers should be ashamed of themselves that Callum Paterson is currently playing centre forward for us.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...assed-15295417
    Surprised that you think that, you've generally been supportive of Zohore and have let him off the hook a bit. I recall you saying that he wasn't getting enough service, or players close to him, although in fairness, you were critical of his seemingly lethargic ways. I don't think his head is there, it's like he's given up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Surprised that you think that, you've generally been supportive of Zohore and have let him off the hook a bit. I recall you saying that he wasn't getting enough service, or players close to him, although in fairness, you were critical of his seemingly lethargic ways. I don't think his head is there, it's like he's given up.
    I also suggested that having his first child may have had an affect on Zohore's attitude, but there has to come a time when the excuses have to stop. It should be pointed out of course that Zohore is not the only striker we have, but again I agree with Blakey - he is the one who has the best chance of being a success in the Premier League and yet he has looked like a beaten man, so to speak, from day one of the season.

I also suggested that having his first child may have had an affect on Zohore's attitude, but there has to come a time when the excuses have to stop. It should be pointed out of course that Zohore is not the only striker we have, but again I agree with Blakey - he is the one who has the best chance of being a success in the Premier League and yet he has looked like a beaten man, so to speak, from day one of the season.
    I can't see how having a child could cause him to be so poor and did-interested, but who knows. It's very odd, but if I were to take a guess, I would say that he's lacking confidence and self belief and I don't think that he knows how to pull himself out of it, maybe he doesn't have that kind of character. He looks slow and weak, he doesn't even get close to getting in a game or creating something for himself, which is what he has to do. I don't think he's good enough for this level, but he isn't helping himself either. He's not a very expressive player at the best of times, although at the moment he looks beaten.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I can't see how having a child could cause him to be so poor and did-interested, but who knows. It's very odd, but if I were to take a guess, I would say that he's lacking confidence and self belief and I don't think that he knows how to pull himself out of it, maybe he doesn't have that kind of character. He looks slow and weak, he doesn't even get close to getting in a game or creating something for himself, which is what he has to do. I don't think he's good enough for this level, but he isn't helping himself either. He's not a very expressive player at the best of times, although at the moment he looks beaten.
    I think there's always been an element of immaturity in his game and you're right - his head tends to drop very quickly if things are not going for him. His reaction to the two or three goals we scored last season after he had taken air shots at good chances was concerning - if it had been me with the first one of those especially I would definitely have laughed at myself, but you could see he was upset.

I've just listened to that Blakey's Boot Room with Warnock and he mentions possible player swap deals in January - it wouldn't surprise me much if Zohore (or Madine) was involved in something like that because I think there will be other sides out there who will look at his physique and what he did in the second half of 16/17 and at times last season and think they'll be able to get the performances out of him that we aren't able to currently.

Perhaps he has a plan to lower expectations of himself , as a consequence his transfer fee drops knowingly he might pick up a good deal at year end .

I'm sure I'm wrong ,but his body language as TOBW says ,has been appalling from when he barely ran on the pitch against Real Betis, you could see then something was up .

Not only Blakey was right so was Warnock when he recognised we needed strikers pre season .

Ward and Reid played then got dropped for the Burnley games. Zohore gets to play against Burnley and Paterson plays out of position against Spurs with Zohore, Ward and Reid on the bench. What must this be doing to their confidence, and Madine's too. Also we have a centre back, Manga, playing right back when we have Peltier and Richards and even Paterson who could do a job there. I think Warnock's chopping and changing is not helping and smacks of one of those teams who change players every week to no effect until they get relegated.

I think there's always been an element of immaturity in his game and you're right - his head tends to drop very quickly if things are not going for him. His reaction to the two or three goals we scored last season after he had taken air shots at good chances was concerning - if it had been me with the first one of those especially I would definitely have laughed at myself, but you could see he was upset.

I've just listened to that Blakey's Boot Room with Warnock and he mentions possible player swap deals in January - it wouldn't surprise me much if Zohore (or Madine) was involved in something like that because I think there will be other sides out there who will look at his physique and what he did in the second half of 16/17 and at times last season and think they'll be able to get the performances out of him that we aren't able to currently.
    That's a great shout, bob, I've been searching for the correct word to describe his performances and character, immaturity sums things up very well in my opinion. I mentioned in a thread a few weeks back that my favourite moment since Warnock arrived was when Ken was given his chance against Wolves after Richardson and Immers had been hooked off at half time, most of us thought that he didn't stand a chance. Ken had a great game and was probably responsible for the win that night, the look on his face when the Canton sang his name was a footballing moment to cherish, He seemed so grateful and pleased, and I think that the fans getting behind him so quickly really helped in his development for the rest of that season. I really hope that he comes good, for his sake as much as ours.

I'm wondering if the fact that he didn't go to the World Cup with Denmark, has affected his confidence and his ego.

Neither Zohore, Ward or Reid have been given a sustained run in the team to stake a real claim. Warnock chopping and changing personal and formation up front like Claudio Rianieri on crack does not do the strikers any good. Reid comes in for Man City, and Chelsea away, a thankless task for any striker, then dropped for Burnley. How is that going to help Reids confidence? Play to his strengths against the lesser teams ffs.

Im in agreement with Blake, playing a guy we signed as right back upfront because he can win the odd flick on is a no-no, and spells trouble (although you dont have to be Nostradamus to see we are in trouble). Although, id be more embarrassed if I was Warnock, rather than the strikers hes left on the bench, thinking that a centre half taking long throws and a defender playing upfront is a viable tactic in todays Premier League. Embarrassing.

Paterson scored 10 goals from midfield last season, so he is not just there to provide 'flick ons' for the main striker. Reid has made 8 appearances this season, some from the bench obviously, but has hardly looked convincing in front of goal. Its also not Warnocks fault that Ward, Zohore, Murphy and Hoilett have also all missed clear cut chances in front of goal this season so far. Warnock is searching for a combination up front that works because of all this and we are only 8 games in. Stoke City relied heavily in the Prem on a full back putting long throws into the box for years and it didn't seem to do them any harm, so it is a useful tactic to have at any level, especially when we have to rely on set pieces due to the main strikers missing chances from open play. We have been competitive in all games except Man City and are unlucky not to have at least another 3 or 4 points on the board. We have played some good football as well. Warnock will get it right but needs forward players to step up now. Its 'embarrassing' that some fans seem incapable of enjoying a season in the Premier League that none of us thought was possible at the beginning of last season.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Paterson scored 10 goals from midfield last season, so he is not just there to provide 'flick ons' for the main striker. Reid has made 8 appearances this season, some from the bench obviously, but has hardly looked convincing in front of goal. Its also not Warnocks fault that Ward, Zohore, Murphy and Hoilett have also all missed clear cut chances in front of goal this season so far. Warnock is searching for a combination up front that works because of all this and we are only 8 games in. Stoke City relied heavily in the Prem on a full back putting long throws into the box for years and it didn't seem to do them any harm, so it is a useful tactic to have at any level, especially when we have to rely on set pieces due to the main strikers missing chances from open play. We have been competitive in all games except Man City and are unlucky not to have at least another 3 or 4 points on the board. We have played some good football as well. Warnock will get it right but needs forward players to step up now. Its 'embarrassing' that some fans seem incapable of enjoying a season in the Premier League that none of us thought was possible at the beginning of last season.
    What did you think of Ireland on Tuesday?

I agree with most of this post except the last line. I don't care what league we're in I can't say I ever enjoy seeing us struggle. Fair play if you do but it's not for me. I want to see wins and I'm not happy if I don't. I'm not enjoying this season so far.

Quote Originally Posted by simonp_ccfc View Post
    I agree with most of this post except the last line. I don't care what league we're in I can't say I ever enjoy seeing us struggle. Fair play if you do but it's not for me. I want to see wins and I'm not happy if I don't. I'm not enjoying this season so far.
    You're not enjoying us playing premier league football? Get a grip mate.

This has always been the end goal over years and years of lower league football, play off heartbreaks, nearly going out of business, the rebrand etc. and you don't want to see us lose now we've got here.

Pathetic fair play

Quote Originally Posted by pgbluebird View Post

This has always been the end goal over years and years of lower league football, play off heartbreaks, nearly going out of business, the rebrand etc. and you don't want to see us lose now we've got here.

Pathetic fair play
    Not been following the City very long then🧐

Danny Ward is a fans' favourite and at least has managed a goal, but while decent he's not going to rip anyone for pace — let alone Premier League defenders.
    But any of us really know how well he'll adapt to the Premier League? He got dropped for no reason then got injured. Blake also says...

We spent £11m on Bobby Reid. That's not worked out yet, although it's too early to judge.
    So if it's too early to judge, why the **** is Blake throwing him under the bus with the rest of the strikers?

Click-bait BS headline from an ex-pro trying too hard. File him under Sutton, Savage et al.

Stoke City got promoted to the PL 11 seasons ago, the game has evolved since then. Mark Hughes didnt use that tactic when he got them to 3 x 9th place finishes prior to their relegation last season, and even Pulis had stopped using that tactic by the end of his reign, and when he took over Palace and West Brom.

Besides, as you said the fullback took the throw ins, at most football clubs they tend to do so being as they are the position nearest to the touchline.

To pull a centre half out of position to take long throws in the oppositions half, for the full 90 minutes, is pathetic, its no wonder the defence is all at sixes and sevens. Fair enough last 10 minutes chasing a game but for the full 90? Behave.

As for you trying to justify Patterson playing centre forward in the Premier league, well, thats just you all over. Cardiff Citys very own Comical Ali.

Quote Originally Posted by pgbluebird View Post

Pathetic fair play
    Sorry but what was enjoyable about getting soaked and seeing us get smashed 5-0 (Could have been 10 easy) at home to Man City.

What is enjoyable about that?

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Sorry but what was enjoyable about getting soaked and seeing us get smashed 5-0 (Could have been 10 easy) at home to Man City.

If Man City had needed to win 10-0 that day to, say, qualify for the Champions League, they would have managed it - all this "enjoy the ride" stuff is crap.

Nothing, but coming back twice from being down against Arsenal was fun, even if we lost narrowly in the end. So was the Newcastle game and almost nicking something from Spurs away.

I don't like watching us struggle and I'm not into the we're plucky underdogs just here for a bit attitude, but we haven't been losing 5-0 in the pissing rain every week, despite what you and most of the media seem to think

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Nothing, but coming back twice from being down against Arsenal was fun, even if we lost narrowly in the end. So was the Newcastle game and almost nicking something from Spurs away.

I don't like watching us struggle and I'm not into the we're plucky underdogs just here for a bit attitude, but we haven't been losing 5-0 in the pissing rain every week, despite what you and most of the media seem to think
    Agree on Arsenal but Newcastle was hardly enjoyable. A game short on quality, and goal mouth action, and the only thing we really had to cheer about was the last minute penalty save.

Agree on Arsenal but Newcastle was hardly enjoyable. A game short on quality, and goal mouth action, and the only thing we really had to cheer about was the last minute penalty save.
    Agreed on quality but I enjoyed it. After Bournemouth it was good to see us all over a team and we were unlucky not to win (lack of cutting edge, as has become the theme of the season so far)

Ultimately all I'm saying is we're not getting smashed every week and, even if it is nicer going into games confident we'll win, I'm still enjoying most of this season so far. If we're on the same amount of points in January that might well have changed but whilst we're still in the hunt I'm going into games hoping we can get something out of them. If we beat Fulham tomorrow everything looks different.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Not been following the City very long then🧐
    47. Supporting City when you were probably in nappies. Some fans can't take that there's a load of us who aren't simply happy to be in the premier League. It's about winning. No fun watching losers. I'm not expecting top half. I'm not even expecting mid table but I am expecting a fight for 17th.

47. Supporting City when you were probably in nappies. Some fans can't take that there's a load of us who aren't simply happy to be in the premier League. It's about winning. No fun watching losers. I'm not expecting top half. I'm not even expecting mid table but I am expecting a fight for 17th.
    Were you in nappies in 1962? That’s when I started 👍 if it’s all about winning, how come you’re hanging around watching the City? 56 years me & still waiting to see a City side consistently winning 😂😂😂😂

I find it embarrassing that our own fans want Patterson up front, Warnocks been chopping and changing too much look at wolves who have stuck by the same team in all 8 games I found it ridiculous that he gave Ward and Reid a thankless task of chasing Chelsea players around to then drop them against the piss poor Burnley he needs to stick with the same team for a good run of games