+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Last Season's Fulham Love-In

Last Season's Fulham Love-In

During the second half of the season Fulham were the top side in the Championship in every respect. 56 points from 23 games, most goals scored and least goals conceded.A number of our fans feared Fulham would overtake us and finish second, which didn't eventually happen thanks to their bubble bursting on the final Sunday of the season. A deserved promotion was secured through the playoffs. Some thought Fulham's style of football would be well suited to the Premier League, boosted by a summer spending spree.

Given all of that, I was surprised at how shite they were this afternoon and are a side that seems to be getting worse. In contrast, we seem to be growing and are learning what is needed in this division.

I doubt many would have fancied us finishing above Fulham at the end of this season, but at the moment, I reckon that's likely. Of course there's a long way to go, but Jason Cundy's comment about us being the worst Premier League team ever look more than a tad foolish.

Re: Last Season's Fulham Love-In

I've just written on another thread that Fulham are a team that only function when Cairney is there to make them tick. They may still pick up when he gets back but I have to admit I wasn't that impressed with Seri, and their defensive setup just seems really odd

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    I've just written on another thread that Fulham are a team that only function when Cairney is there to make them tick. They may still pick up when he gets back but I have to admit I wasn't that impressed with Seri, and their defensive setup just seems really odd
    I was also amazed by Chambers (their number 5).
    He looked and played like a big awkward rugby player with very little ability or quality.
    If he had continued after half time I am sure he would have received a red card.
    He had no answer to Murphy apart from hauling him down every time.
    How much did they pay for him ?

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    I was also amazed by Chambers (their number 5).
    He looked and played like a big awkward rugby player with very little ability or quality.
    If he had continued after half time I am sure he would have received a red card.
    He had no answer to Murphy apart from hauling him down every time.
    How much did they pay for him ?
    Nothing - he’s in loan from Arsenal. He was still shit though. As were Fulham.

It was nice to beat Fulham after all the rubbish they spouted last year. Their superiority complex got knocked down a peg thankfully and are calling for the managers head.

Oh how things change

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    During the second half of the season Fulham were the top side in the Championship in every respect. 56 points from 23 games, most goals scored and least goals conceded.A number of our fans feared Fulham would overtake us and finish second, which didn't eventually happen thanks to their bubble bursting on the final Sunday of the season. A deserved promotion was secured through the playoffs. Some thought Fulham's style of football would be well suited to the Premier League, boosted by a summer spending spree.

Given all of that, I was surprised at how shite they were this afternoon and are a side that seems to be getting worse. In contrast, we seem to be growing and are learning what is needed in this division.

I doubt many would have fancied us finishing above Fulham at the end of this season, but at the moment, I reckon that's likely. Of course there's a long way to go, but Jason Cundy's comment about us being the worst Premier League team ever look more than a tad foolish.
    Jason Cundy is a Keunt of the highest order.

Fulham got plenty of plaudits last season and were near perfect towards second half of the season. A lot of their success was due to good loan signings so had to spend a lot of money to stay at that level.

They play attractive football the problem they have is pretty much every PL club can as well but have better players.
    I remember them playing Brentford and were outplayed but Fulham had the edge upfront.

Fulham were without some key players yesterday but again I think it's testament to Warnock on what we did, if both us and Fulham were to sell all our players today I reckon their squad would go for over double what ours would.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    This is correct thinks he was a good player because was at Spurs and Chelsea but they were both shit then and stillncouldnt get in their teams.

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    Fulham got plenty of plaudits last season and were near perfect towards second half of the season. A lot of their success was due to good loan signings so had to spend a lot of money to stay at that level.

They play attractive football the problem they have is pretty much every PL club can as well but have better players.
    I remember them playing Brentford and were outplayed but Fulham had the edge upfront.

Fulham were without some key players yesterday but again I think it's testament to Warnock on what we did, if both us and Fulham were to sell all our players today I reckon their squad would go for over double what ours would.
    Another interesting angle to all of this is that, suppose Villa had got the 2nd automatic place and we had to play Fulham in the playoffs, we'd have been dreading the prospect. 5 months later, they've spent vastly more than we have, yet we fancied our chances!!!

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Who is Jason Cundy ?.
    Never heard of him..

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    Who is Jason Cundy ?.
    Never heard of him..
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Cundy

HTH

In the summer I remember reading a Belgian fan saying that any team that starts Denis Odoi in defence is asking for trouble.

He seems to be right so far. I know our defenders have a knack of pulling an "oh shit" moment once or twice a game but theirs were like Bambi on ice.

Quote Originally Posted by celticknight View Post
    In the summer I remember reading a Belgian fan saying that any team that starts Denis Odoi in defence is asking for trouble.

He seems to be right so far. I know our defenders have a knack of pulling an "oh shit" moment once or twice a game but theirs were like Bambi on ice.
    Or Bamba on ice perhaps

The 'love in' is still happening from some if you read other posts today. It has even been said that they should keep Jokanovic, as they have some decent players and can improve - how anyone can support a team that we are in direct competition with and have never been as good as their fans and players make out is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    The 'love in' is still happening from some if you read other posts today. It has even been said that they should keep Jokanovic, as they have some decent players and can improve - how anyone can support a team that we are in direct competition with and have never been as good as their fans and players make out is beyond me.
    We can support our own team and have understanding/empathy for other fans positions too. Fulham can play attractive football, I can be honest enough to admit that - doesn't mean I want them to finish above us.

I find it more odd when other people can't understand that supporters can see beyond their own team.

I dont understand how we have been slagged off left right and centre by pundits as the worst team ever and having no ambition for not spending more money which would put us in the shit if we get relegated, yet Fulham seem immune from all criticism because they spent over £100m and pass the ball a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by ken smith View Post
    I dont understand how we have been slagged off left right and centre by pundits as the worst team ever and having no ambition for not spending more money which would put us in the shit if we get relegated, yet Fulham seem immune from all criticism because they spent over £100m and pass the ball a bit.
    We were being called the worst ever team to get promoted last summer so the pundits can't admit being wrong, can they?

Though they had to change their tune on Bournemouth and Huddersfield, they don't want to do it again unless they really have to.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    To absolutely nobody's surprise, you've completely missed the point of those posts, as per usual.

They clearly meant that a better manager would sort Fulham out, because they have good players. Therefore, they should keep Jokanovic as he's taking them down on current form... Which is what's best for City.

Neal Maupay and Brentford did for Fulham last season with a last gasp header back across goal as we were travelling back from Norwich.

One of last seasons highlights that I will never forget. Anyone got a link to that goal. The Fulham fans faces in their home end were classics.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysAway2 View Post
    Neal Maupay and Brentford did for Fulham last season with a last gasp header back across goal as we were travelling back from Norwich.

One of last seasons highlights that I will never forget. Anyone got a link to that goal. The Fulham fans faces in their home end were classics.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE6ihmUZn5w

Enjoy, celebrated like we'd scored.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysAway2 View Post

https://youtu.be/UwRY6kOUnmY With pleasure

Also Maupay’s miss against us earlier that season which is just as good.
    https://youtu.be/T67Rne7b4FA

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    https://youtu.be/UwRY6kOUnmY With pleasure

Also Maupay’s miss against us earlier that season which is just as good.
    https://youtu.be/T67Rne7b4FA
    Neal Maupay, Cardiff City Player of the Season 2017/18. In fairness, he earned us a 4 point swing there.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Neal Maupay, Cardiff City Player of the Season 2017/18. In fairness, he earned us a 4 point swing there.
    Played his part.