+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: January Window

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

January Window

Assuming none of the current 25-man squad is transferred out or released, do some players have to be cut from the squad to make way for any new signings?

If so, who should make way?

Re: January Window

Yes. I also think it is fairly clear who would fall out of the 25-man squad at present.

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    Yes. I also think it is fairly clear who would fall out of the 25-man squad at present.
    Perhaps some could be shifted out on loan.

1 Neil Etheridge
    2 Lee Peltier
    3 Joe Bennett
    4 Sean Morrison
    5 Bruno Ecuele Manga
    6 Jazz Richards
    7 Harry Arter
    8 Joe Ralls
    9 Danny Ward
    10 Kenneth Zohore
    11 Josh Murphy
    12 Alex Smithies
    13 Callum Paterson
    14 Bobby Reid
    16 Matthew Connolly
    17 Aron Gunnarsson
    18 Greg Cunningham
    19 Nathaniel Mendez-Laing
    20 Loïc Damour
    21 Víctor Camarasa
    22 Sol Bamba
    23 Kadeem Harris
    24 Gary Madine
    28 Brian Murphy
    33 Junior Hoilett

Get rid of the money grabbers Tomlin! Anywhere would do if a pub team would pay his wages i'd send him on loan there. Feel sorry for some of our squad pilks and conolly think they could both do well if they had the opportunity to go on loan elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Green Bluebird View Post
    Assuming none of the current 25-man squad is transferred out or released, do some players have to be cut from the squad to make way for any new signings?

If so, who should make way?
    Signing a centre forward and a right back should be a priority.

Connolly, Madine and Damour are likely casualties I'd guess.

Depending on how the table looks, and more importantly how we are looking then would very much depend on how I would spend, if we haven't pushed on, I wouldn't bother. If we have picked up for arguments sake another 10 points, then I'd get on the blower to the lot down west and see how much they want for Connor Roberts. Striker, would be very tough to buy in January even by normal standards, and is also Warnock's self confessed worst position at buying, so I think we will really struggle in that department to recruit a decent CF.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Signing a centre forward and a right back should be a priority.

Connolly, Madine and Damour are likely casualties I'd guess.
    They are the most likely to be dropped. The only other options in my view are Jazz or Peltier - if an upgrade RB comes in.

Warnock has spoken about wanting 3 or 4 new players in January, including a striker, defender and midfielder.

I can't see him bombing Zohore out - if he gets his mojo back (he looked much more lively last time out to me) he is a level or two above Madine and Ward. But Ward has made the best of his chances and Madine hasn't. Reid will cement his place in the matchday 18 if not the starting line-up. The problem of Madine's fee will fade with time and make it less embarrassing to replace him.

Hoilett (like Ken) is off the boil, but again he has the ability to do much more and Warnock will want a full quota of wingers. NML was looking good before his injury and Kadeem's cameo shows that he can do a job. Damour has done nothing wrong and has had no chance to impress or frustrate - but I can see him being loaned out if we get A.N.Other in alongside Ralls, Gunnar, Camarasa and Arter.

Surely the only vulnerable places in the defence are RB/RWB and utility - so Peltier, Jazz and Connolly. Based on the manager's selections so far Connolly must be the most likely to be shifted if another space has to be made in the 25. He won't change the keepers.

January is also when we should see Pilks and Tomlin move on.

Madine, Connolly, peltier and damour out zohore is pushing his luck but has obviously shown that he can do the business, would love Roberts here maybe a cheeky loan bid for loftus cheek

Quote Originally Posted by TWMY View Post
    Get rid of the money grabbers Tomlin! Anywhere would do if a pub team would pay his wages i'd send him on loan there. Feel sorry for some of our squad pilks and conolly think they could both do well if they had the opportunity to go on loan elsewhere.
    Tomlin & Pilks not in 25-man squad.

When you look at it its not easy ,glad its not me making the decision Madine, Connolly, peltier for me , think Jazz brings some utility to the squad as a full back , midfielder or emergency wing back .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    When you look at it its not easy ,glad its not me making the decision Madine, Connolly, peltier for me , think Jazz brings some utility to the squad as a full back , midfielder or emergency wing back .
    Considering he's off to the Asian cup in January, we do need adequate cover for Etheridge.

Like to see Heaton back on loan for the rest of the season with Murphy dropping out.

Agree with Connolly.

Pelts to go out on loan maybe. May need him next season.

Undecided about Madine ... perhaps a loan back to Bolton so that he can re-discover where the goal is.

Zohore has too much potential to let go ... unless a silly bid came in for him.

Swap deal with Swansea (Roberts) or Blackburn (Dack) may be worthwhile for either Zohore or Madine.

Considering he's off to the Asian cup in January, we do need adequate cover for Etheridge.

Like to see Heaton back on loan for the rest of the season with Murphy dropping out.

Agree with Connolly.

Pelts to go out on loan maybe. May need him next season.

Undecided about Madine ... perhaps a loan back to Bolton so that he can re-discover where the goal is.

Zohore has too much potential to let go ... unless a silly bid came in for him.

Swap deal with Swansea (Roberts) or Blackburn (Dack) may be worthwhile for either Zohore or Madine.
    There is no way we will be getting heaton on loan.
    And theres no way he would come to be a backup to etheridge either.
    We have a perfectly capable backup keeper in Alex Smithies anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    There is no way we will be getting heaton on loan.
    And theres no way he would come to be a backup to etheridge either.
    We have a perfectly capable backup keeper in Alex Smithies anyway
    Before his injury Heaton was one of 4 close contenders for the England #1 shirt.

He is currently looking for a move due to Hart.

Unsure how many games Etheridge is out of the country for. Without being disrespectful to Etheridge, I think that Heaton is the better keeper.

Before his injury Heaton was one of 4 close contenders for the England #1 shirt.

Unsure how many games Etheridge is out of the country for. Without being disrespectful to Etheridge, I think that Heaton is the better keeper.
    I agree that Connelly/Peltier,Darmour and Madine to go to be replaced by a RB,Midfielder and Striker, I’d buy a top Championship player we could keep and loan two experienced Premier league/ La Liga players with an option to buy when we stay up! Goalkeepers won’t change although not sure why we keep three in squad when it’s one position where you can have an emergency loan player?

We've got Smithies to cover Etheridge. We need a right back and a striker though, unless Paterson surprises us all.

A couple more performances like Saturday’s won’t do us any harm in attracting a higher standard of player than we may have expected a week or two ago. You’d think that the chance of linking up with Murphy, Reid & even Patterson on Saturday’s showing might appeal to a proven striker looking for a move and a new challenge, we mustn’t let this opportunity slip, these next two months are crucial regarding the standard of potential signings.

If we have the chance of genuine upgrades I'd have no problem with any one of the two following groups plus Gary Madine being replaced.

Matthew Connolly or Greg Cunningham

Nathaniel Mendez-Laing, Loïc Damour, or Junior Hoilett

Shrek will be looking for a move he’s been Banging them in over in the big old US of A

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Shrek will be looking for a move he’s been Banging them in over in the big old US of A
    Yes please , canny on loan close season nip in ,bugger the money he's a god .

His season may not end until December and it starts back up in March. Still, would be great to see him in a City shirt. And I'm sure Tan would love it.

And he's on $50K a week.

Is the Parachute Club still going? Failing that the Borough on a Saturday night could sway a deal, G a G🤣

I can't see Damour being excluded as he came on last Saturday in a position where we are vulnerable to injuries and sending offs and is at least being used and the same goes for Cunningham even though I would be happy to see him go. I can't see Connoly being left out either as we are short of experienced players (who can play full back with Peltier injured) and he is versatile if there are injuries elsewhere. Madine is a luxury - and not a very good one at that - and is surplus as is probably Peltier and dare I say it Jazz Richards who looks to me like a Championship player at best. Wouldn't be surprised if Madine and even Richards were sold in January and the same goes for Pilkington (outside the 25) if anyone can afford his wages..

I agree with an earlier post, Madine out for a forward, Connolly out for a defender (sorry Matt) & Damour out for a midfielder. Arter & Camarasa won't last the season either through injury or suspension, so we need cover.