+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: January

January

Id love to see Warnock bring in that little bit of quality in January. I think one more stand out player would really supplement our team well. A striker or another wide man could keep us up in my opinion, and in this league I can now see how much quality matters.

With teams like West Brom and others in the championship pulling in big names like Sakho and Bolasie It does make you think when we sign players like Gary Madine

Re: January

Quote Originally Posted by TWMY View Post

Id love to see Warnock bring in that little bit of quality in January. I think one more stand out player would really supplement our team well. A striker or another wide man could keep us up in my opinion, and in this league I can now see how much quality matters.

With teams like West Brom and others in the championship pulling in big names like Sakho and Bolasie It does make you think when we sign players like Gary Madine
    Players have got to want to come - and with Madine we also needed someone quick to fit our system in the worst window to buy in. I've also finally got the hang of the 'big name' player signing - they are inevitably rubbish with the odd exception like Bellamy. If they still had something about them they would never drop out of the Prem. They are available, and willing, to drop down a division for a reason.

I also think the Championship is way more physical in terms of strength needed over a season than the Prem, meaning that many Prem players really aren't cut out to survive the grind of the Championship

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    Players have got to want to come - and with Madine we also needed someone quick to fit our system in the worst window to buy in. I've also finally got the hang of the 'big name' player signing - they are inevitably rubbish with the odd exception like Bellamy. If they still had something about them they would never drop out of the Prem. They are available, and willing, to drop down a division for a reason.

I also think the Championship is way more physical in terms of strength needed over a season than the Prem, meaning that many Prem players really aren't cut out to survive the grind of the Championship
    Not sure about Prem players not being cut out to survive the grind of the Championship PB. Looking first hand at the ‘established’ Premier League players we’ve faced i.e. the Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea lot, what stood out for me was that they were thin as waifs, fit as f*ck yet strong as oxen, hard to bully off the ball, seemed to bounce back up after stern challenges. You say ‘many’ Prem players, I reckon the majority of Prem players would tear the Championship to bits both physically & mentally.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Not sure about Prem players not being cut out to survive the grind of the Championship PB. Looking first hand at the ‘established’ Premier League players we’ve faced i.e. the Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea lot, what stood out for me was that they were thin as waifs, fit as f*ck yet strong as oxen, hard to bully off the ball, seemed to bounce back up after stern challenges. You say ‘many’ Prem players, I reckon the majority of Prem players would tear the Championship to bits both physically & mentally.

I agree entirely with you!

There seems to be a misconception that the Premier League is just full of "Fancy Dans" and that they're not strong... from what I've seen they look fitter, faster (perhaps no great surprise) and stronger than Championship players. I also think it's not strictly true that you get more time on the ball in the Premier, defenders seem to close you down quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I don’t disagree that good Prem players are all you say. I was trying and failing to make the point that the Championship seems to need players who have stamina rather than speed. Racehorses v Carthorses is a better analogy I guess, and also that those who do drop down generally don’t have what it takes to make a real impact any more.

What on earth is "the prem"?

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    What on earth is "the prem"?

It's a hairdo popular in the 70/80's - see Kevin Keegan