+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Newcastle "lack of investment" myth

Newcastle "lack of investment" myth

Benitez has spent £130M on 23 players. Of those players £40M started against Brighton, with another £23M on the bench to quote a Newcastle fan "he's discarded" £65M of players who he bought.

Poor old Rafa. Can Neil have some of that "lack of investment"

Makes Tomlin & Madine look like bargains (perhaps not )

Re: Newcastle "lack of investment" myth

Newcastle fans often forget how much has been spent while they were in the Championship, but since they were told every penny raised would be given to Rafa this summer they have a fair point about spending minus 8 million overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Benitez has spent £130M on 23 players. Of those players £40M started against Brighton, with another £23M on the bench to quote a Newcastle fan "he's discarded" £65M of players who he bought.

Poor old Rafa. Can Neil have some of that "lack of investment"

Makes Tomlin & Madine look like bargains (perhaps not )
    He's made money for Newcastle , just like the managers before him , the net outgoing profit figure is the one to watch .

Profit before success.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    He's made money for Newcastle , just like the managers before him , the net outgoing profit figure is the one to watch .

Profit before success.
    This.

Net spend last season was 100k. It's ok bringing a load of players in, but if you have to shift a load to do that you are potentially not ever going to "grow" the squad, just part-ex or straight exchange some players for some others.

Guy I play futsal with who is a Newcastle fan told me that in terms of revenue they are the 24th richest club in the world (I'll take his word for it). If that is anywhere near true and their net spend was 100k last season, I can see how a lot of Newcastle fans feel their club is stagnating with that fella at the helm.

If anything I respect the fuk-you ordacity of the guy for sticking around for years on end, running a club whose fans and members clearly despise him.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    This.

Net spend last season was 100k. It's ok bringing a load of players in, but if you have to shift a load to do that you are potentially not ever going to "grow" the squad, just part-ex or straight exchange some players for some others.

Guy I play futsal with who is a Newcastle fan told me that in terms of revenue they are the 24th richest club in the world (I'll take his word for it). If that is anywhere near true and their net spend was 100k last season, I can see how a lot of Newcastle fans feel their club is stagnating with that fella at the helm.

If anything I respect the fuk-you ordacity of the guy for sticking around for years on end, running a club whose fans and members clearly despise him.
    Yes the owner is an awful man , strange club though ,rich in source ,massive support and revenue streams , however very little in the trophy cabinet pre or post Ashely , I'd say they are the Cinderella British football .

Yes the owner is an awful man , strange club though ,rich in source ,massive support and revenue streams , however very little in the trophy cabinet pre or post Ashely , I'd say they are the Cinderella British football .
    Cinderella succeeded against the odds. Quite the opposite to Newcastle, surely.

Profit before success.
    Exactly they’ve made a net profit and got promoted since he’s been there. He’s a great manager but they’re wasting him by giving him such a shite squad.

Cannot stand Ashley either, zero hour c*nt.

This.

“fuk-you ordacity” - not being a dick here, but I had to read this a couple of times to know what you meant... at first I thought you meant or da city (or the city) but that didn’t make sense and then realised you meant audacity 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Exactly they’ve made a net profit and got promoted since he’s been there. He’s a great manager but they’re wasting him by giving him such a shite squad.

Ashley is a piece of work but Rafa has signed 23 players, and so many are dross. He's not completely absolved of the blame for the mess they're in. Thankfully he bought the other brother, which is good news for us though.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    “fuk-you ordacity” - not being a dick here, but I had to read this a couple of times to know what you meant... at first I thought you meant or da city (or the city) but that didn’t make sense and then realised you meant audacity ��
    English is my third language. I try but ultimately fail at the spelling bit somewhere along the line.

English is my third language. I try but ultimately fail at the spelling bit somewhere along the line.
    👍

Why is making a profit at a football club now seen as a bad thing?

Fans seem to want "ambition", but then are up in arms when the club gets relegated and is in immediate financial danger and have to sell players to survive, claiming "where is the money gone".

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post

Fans seem to want "ambition", but then are up in arms when the club gets relegated and is in immediate financial danger and have to sell players to survive, claiming "where is the money gone".
    And then the fans want the owner to leave 'their' club, a club that could probably not exist at the same level were it not for wealthy businessmen, most of whom subsidise their clubs, which can haemorrhage millions of pounds a month. The German system is healthier methinks.

He’s a great manager but they’re wasting him by giving him such a shite squad.
    They've not "given" him a shite squad, he's chosen, purchased & discarded roughly half of that squad (value around £65M), I've had a quick & I don't think he's sold a single player of the 23 he's bought (Gayle is loaned out).

NW gets grief over Madine & Tomlin, Rafa has around 10 players who fall into the same category .

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    They've not "given" him a shite squad, he's chosen, purchased & discarded roughly half of that squad (value around £65M), I've had a quick & I don't think he's sold a single player of the 23 he's bought (Gayle is loaned out).

NW gets grief over Madine & Tomlin, Rafa has around 10 players who fall into the same category .
    £65 million on a whole squad a premier league level is peanuts though, especially for a club like Newcastle. He’s signed what he can with the money available to him.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post

But transfer fees aren't the only outgoings and income that a club has. You are allowed to use other money streams... IE gate receipts and TV money to spend on players.

I don't have details of Newcastle's finances so can't really comment to much on them, but for profit or loss you can't just look at the transfer market

I've always thought he'd make a good 'mark' on the BBC's Hustle that was on few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by speedyblue View Post
    But transfer fees aren't the only outgoings and income that a club has. You are allowed to use other money streams... IE gate receipts and TV money to spend on players.

I don't have details of Newcastle's finances so can't really comment to much on them, but for profit or loss you can't just look at the transfer market
    Yes i know, however the biggest outlay at any club, is players wages. Those far outstrip any transfer expenditure a club has, and weigh you down for long after you have left the premier league.

Mike Ashley runs Newcastle on a profit basis, what really is wrong with that, what the club brings in it spends out minus a small profit.

Do we now as football fans think that the only way a football club can work is by having an individual or group of individual continuously pushing money into it beyond what it brings in. If that is the case what happens when thise individuals get bored, or want out.

But he’s running it on a profit basis by milking it dry not only is he not putting his money in but he’s taking the tv money and player sales money and putting it right in his profit.

Benitez should be doing better than he is but they’re still wasting the best manager they’ve had in a long time.

But he’s running it on a profit basis by milking it dry not only is he not putting his money in but he’s taking the tv money and player sales money and putting it right in his profit.

Benitez should be doing better than he is but they’re still wasting the best manager they’ve had in a long time.
    Newcastle are not making a huge profit though and made a £90m loss in the championship in 16/17, so surely any profits now are offsetting the losses made in the past.

This I agree with. They're not utilising Benitez, he's having to sign players in a market he doesn't know too well (ie Championship/cheap) so he's making average (at best) decisions with the transfers he makes. He could attract some pretty big fish to Newcastle, he got Higuain etc to Napoli.

Your contention seems to be that the owner of a football club should expect to make a loss. It appears some are happy to go that way but others are not. I’d suggest that Tan is following a similar model to Ashley. Fortunately for him, our expectations are probably not as high as a Newcastle fans - and we’ve also been badly burned before (as have a whole litany of others)