+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Football League Alcohol Ban

Football League Alcohol Ban

Interesting to see some clubs are trying to take on the football league and have the laws regarding alcohol being taken to your seats changed. Personally, not for that at all, you only need to go to the rugby to see a lot of people drinking beer spending a lot of time during the game going to and from their seats during the game. No thank you.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ds-lifted.html

Re: Football League Alcohol Ban

Quite happy to keep it as it is for the reasons you’ve stated.
    If someone needs a beer whilst watching the football or needs to miss some of the game to get one then they’re better off staying in a pub.

Seems odd that the article mentions Hillsborough which was in 1989 when the ban came in in 1985 (I think after Heysel)
    I can't see any harm in allowing fans to bring a drink to their seat at the start of each half, but not to have the bars open during play.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Interesting to see some clubs are trying to take on the football league and have the laws regarding alcohol being taken to your seats changed. Personally, not for that at all, you only need to go to the rugby to see a lot of people drinking beer spending a lot of time during the game going to and from their seats during the game. No thank you.

I agree with the above plus I don't want anyone spilling beer over me thanks. I don't know why football fans need to drink at a game at all. If they can't go 2 or 3 hours without alcohol then there must be something wrong with them.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Seems odd that the article mentions Hillsborough which was in 1989 when the ban came in in 1985 (I think after Heysel)
    I can't see any harm in allowing fans to bring a drink to their seat at the start of each half, but not to have the bars open during play.
    Pint before the game, pint at half-time, pint after the game. What more do you need?

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Pint before the game, pint at half-time, pint after the game. What more do you need?
    Personally I don't ever 'need' a pint.
    If ever I want a pint I'd make sure it lasts more than 15 minutes as well so don't understand the scramble for a quick pint at half time.

Personally I don't ever 'need' a pint.
    If ever I want a pint I'd make sure it lasts more than 15 minutes as well so don't understand the scramble for a quick pint at half time.
    I was just laying out the options already available. Personally I am a pint after the game, and hot drink at half-time sort of fella.

You won't be saying that when you get soaked with alcohol every time we score.

I was just laying out the options already available. Personally I am a pint after the game, and hot drink at half-time sort of fella.
    #metoo

Quote Originally Posted by simonp_ccfc View Post
    You won't be saying that when you get soaked with alcohol every time we score.
    Probably won't need to worry too much then....

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post

totally agree there is drink available before the game and at half time this would just invite trouble.I love a drink but would oppose this.

No need whatsoever, recipe for arguments, people continually back & forth to the bar & toilet, how annoying would that be? Personally I use the game as my own Betty Ford Clinic, keeps me off the piss for the duration👍

couple of blokes in my row have to go out for a pee half-way through each half as it is.

No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    couple of blokes in my row have to go out for a pee half-way through each half as it is.

No thanks.
    Can't taste any worse than the lager.

No thanks.
    Exactly.

Also, I remember one poster describing Hull away on here and saying after a few drinks they couldn't remember what shirt we were playing in....how can you spend hours and a fair chunk of change to not fully remember the match? Obsession with alcohol is worst part of rugby and can bring out worst in football fans. No need to upset current system.

I may be in a minority here but why not let people decide what they want rather than what the nanny state tells you to have. Maybe that is the rebel in me that thinks this. But I have been all over Europe and been to a fair number of sporting and non-sporting events and there doesn't seem to be the justification to supress people in doing what they want within reason like there is in the UK. The cynic in me sees the ban on doing what we want relates directly to the amount of 'security staff' to enforce these rules. Someone is coining it in by making these rules to stop people being able to choose to do what they like. Within reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Maccy Blue View Post
    I may be in a minority here but why not let people decide what they want rather than what the nanny state tells you to have. Maybe that is the rebel in me that thinks this. But I have been all over Europe and been to a fair number of sporting and non-sporting events and there doesn't seem to be the justification to supress people in doing what they want within reason like there is in the UK. The cynic in me sees the ban on doing what we want relates directly to the amount of 'security staff' to enforce these rules. Someone is coining it in by making these rules to stop people being able to choose to do what they like. Within reason.
    I don't think this is 'nanny-state' thinking.

You don't take beer into a theatre, do you?
    There's no need for it whilst watching the game.

No but they take ice cream.

This

Except plenty of pints after the game following a thumping win!

Good shout ,however I'm sure the power of profit would not allow such a sensible suggestion.

The football fans are being discriminated against (which they plainly are) line clubs are pushing is insincere as their real objective is to sell more extortionately priced piss.

People take wine in - I have seen it. A few cinemas now have a bar and you can take your drink in to the auditorium. Not that much different than a sporting event?

Not a regular theatre-goer, but definitely had a beer while watching something in the theatre

Quote Originally Posted by Maccy Blue View Post
    People take wine in - I have seen it. A few cinemas now have a bar and you can take your drink in to the auditorium. Not that much different than a sporting event?
    Absolutely, I remember the crowd all jumping around and spilling their champagne every where when Pavarotti sang Nessun Dorma at the Opera House, and no one complained at all.

You're very right. I've given alcohol up now for various reasons. One of them was always being pissed during the game.

The worst I'd ever been was when we turned Villa over last season. How they even let me in, I just don't know. I remember very little of the game.